The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
cleszkie

Gear Vendors O/D & Disk Brake Conversion Install

Finally goy all of the pieces I needed to install my junkyard find Gear Vendor unit so I though I would share some pics. I found the unit behind a TH400 auto, so I had to order the NP205 adapter of of ebay. Had to move my spring perches to rotate the pinion up into the best position for the CV driveshaft that I had built. The driveshaft was the biggest problem. I needed to keep the CV joint assembly as short as possible in order to minimize the CV joint angle. To do this, I sourced out a 400 series (32 spline) slip yoke with a CV head from a mid 80's Cadillac. I had the Caddy slip yoke shortened and counterbored to work with my application. This allows the CV joint to be as close to the back end of the O/D unit as possible (with provisions for adequate stroke in and out). I then had my driveline shop build the rest with a 1350 yoke at the axle end for the 14 bolt. The driveshaft is about 22 inches long with a 10 degree bend at the CV joint (I have a 6 inch lift). Truck runs with no vibrations a highway speeds, and the overdrive is freakin amazing. Its like a new truck.

I also installed a disk brake conversion on my 14 bolt full floater. Used some unknown brackets that I bough off a buddy for cheap, 3/4 ton rotors, and '78 Eldorado brake calipers with parking brake mechanism. Everthing just bolted on with the exception of the parking brake cable hardware. To get the parking brake to work with the stock parking brake foot pedal and under truck hardware, I had to fab up some parking brake cable stops for both ends of the cable (I used the short cables that came with the 14 bolt drums). I also added some return springs on the calipers themselves to keep the parking brakes from dragging. The return springs actually came from the drum brakes I removed (the ones that are located above the star wheel adjusters)! I only had to do minor shortening and bending of a "U" in the end of the springs to make them work. I fabbed the rear cable stops out of a piece of the drum brake backing plate where the cable originaly passed through and bolts. Cut this out with an angle grinder and then welded it to a piece of bar stock that bolts to my spring plate. Works like a champ. You may also note that I mounted the brake calipers upside down. I did this in order to run my parking brake cables above the axle tube (a personal preference). I flipped the calipers over when I bled them so all the air would rise to the bleeder screws, and then turned them back over to permanently mount them with the bleeder screws facing down. Enjoy the pics!
Attached Images

cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Gear Vendors O/D & Disk Brake Conversion Install

More pics.
Attached Images

cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

That's sexy!

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Those Gear Vendor units are amazing. If I ran an automatic, Id have one in a heartbeat!;
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
junkyardjohn

Great pictures... I"ve got a new gear vendors unit for my next project. It's for behind a t-400 also. Origanally i had plans to put a fresh 396 in it......but i need something i can afford to drive & we all know that these time are a changing. So now i picked up a 96 4.3 vortec. It was a long block gm test motor with about a 1/2 a shift (4 hours) on a dyno on it. I put a performer intake & a proform hei & plan on a 500 cfm eldebrock carb. This is going thru a t-400 with a shift kit, a g.v. Unit, & then thru a ford 9" possi. With 350-1 gears. I hope to get 20 mpg. thanks i lived in n.v. For about 11 years & it is amazing to crawl under a 40 year old rustfree truck & actually unbolt things.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Huck

Talk about crawing out from under a car---John, where have you been for the past couple of years---been a while!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Talk about crawing out from under a car---John, where have you been for the past couple of years---been a while!!
WELL MY LIFES BEEN PRETTY DARN BUSY.. MY COMPUTER DIED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, & WITH BUILDING THIS HOUSE, & EVERYTHING ELSE INVOLVED WITH HOMESTEADING OUT HERE IN THE STICKS, I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME. BUT I'M BAAAAAACK. GLAD TO HERE FROM YOU. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Burt4x4

Awesome!
Got any pics of your Master/Booster/P-vavle setup?