The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
2badgn

Still confuesd about bedliners for restored 84 GMC 3500

I just had my dad's 1984 GMC Sierra 3500 restored- rust repair, sand to metal, primed, painted, etc. My dad originally used this truck for weekend masonary work and it had a Duraliner drop in bedliner that is beat due to its 26 years of use.

The truck is now used for occasional trips to Home Depot, picking up boxes of wine grapes, boxes of tomatoes, firewood. My dad is 83 and he does not work anymore. I am a teacher but i may consider using the truck for hire- construction, moving, whatever will make me money- during the summer.

I was seriously considering the Line-X sprayliner but I have been researching the Internet and it seems that the drop-in-liner companies like Penda have bad things to say about spray-in-liners and visa-versa.

What do u guys think would best fit my needs and i am ready to spend $$$$$ for the Line-X.
I like the fact that the bed has more space w/ the spray liner. The drop in takes up alot of space and it does have the potential to rust and damage the truck bed. Bodyshop said that hey found ALOT of sand when they removed the bedliner. This probably prevented the bed from rusting.

Last edited by 2badgn; 01-23-2010 at 12:17 AM.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Still confuesd about bedliners for restored 84 GMC 3500

no doubt about it use rhinoliner or line x never heard of a issue with it. and i think theres something you can do yourself. anyway the whole key to line x or rhinoliner is preperation.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

I would definitely go with the spray in. I have had multiple trucks with Rhino, Line-X and drop in.

I HATE drop in's. They trap moisture/dirt etc under the bed, and everything slides around on the hard plastic. (Although there are some new drop in's that use a rubber base).

Rhino is good for something that is garage kept, or underneath a tonneau/ camper shell. They are much grippier, good looking and somewhat durable, but are susceptible to tearing and peeling with rough loads as well as chalking with sun exposure.

Line-X is MUCH more durable than Rhino, but at the expense of having a little less grip (Still 100x better than most drop in's with grip). There is NO fade with the sun, and it is about impossible to scrape off. I solved the grip problem by throwing a cheap rubber bed mat over it, although I love pulling the bed mat up and having the beautiful glittering black bed underneath. I have loaded many heavy loads with the forklift scraping against the Line-X with absolutely no problems. Also Line-X can alter the texture of the spray to suit your needs. My bed area was sprayed with a real course texture to prevent sliding, while the tailgate was sprayed with a smoother texture so it will not pick clothes while sitting on the tailgate.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s

Last edited by GCncsuHD; 01-23-2010 at 12:43 AM.
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
cableguy0

Obviously all the guys selling drop ins are going to badmouth the spray in liners. spray ins have hurt business big time. the drop in liners rub the paint off the inside of the bed and make it prone to rotting out. i vote for spray in liner. just find a shop that is known to a good job. as stated earlier the issues with spray in are in the prep work. no different than painting a car. if the metal is crappy the paint will be crappy.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
givengold

We just did the Al's Liner DIY on my son's El Camino. I will do it on my stepside walls as well. It cost about $150, including the gun, if you have a compressor and the time. Otherwise, for $3-400 in our neck of the woods, you can have one of the others sprayed professionally. It made a world of difference.
givengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Line-X, definetly. Bedliners are bad news.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
thrtsxchambers

for sure go for spray in. That is my plan for my truck, drop in can warp over time and cause rust to the bed. Spray in is like painting your bed and even offer colors to match the body color.
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Hubscrub
Cruzin

go for the spray in for sure

Last edited by Hubscrub; 01-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Go with spray in. I had a drop in and it worked well but wore the paint off the floor and it rotted right out. Mine is now spray in and if I'm going to haul stuff that might be to hard on the spray in I just throw in the dura-liner for the day. The whole bottom & inside of all panels is bedliner spray. Good stuff. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
2badgn

Im going with Line-X and my dad alwyas keeps a sheet of plywood on the floor bed so it really shouldnt be a problem if I need to haul heavy stuff. Also thought about keeping the old Duraliner and doing what u did- dropping it in for a day - but i really dont have room to store it. Trying to get rid of stuff- not collect it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there are two problems with the spray in stuff. The expensive ones like rhino liner or Linex are great when they are done correctly. This means the prep has to be done 100% correct AND you have to allow it to cure correctly. Which ever one you use has to be done correctly and the second thing is go for the money and use one of those two. The cheaper knock offs that are done yourself never seem to work well. They were selling stuff in the auto parts store and on line and anyone who i ever knew who used those products were having the same problems with the stuff rubbing off or staining things..
I would go to a professional dealer and have it done.

I have a drop in liner on my truck because one of the members here sold it to m e cheap. For what i will do its fine. Not to mention as of now my truck has alot of rust in the bed and it helps hold it together lol
If you decide to keep your drop in liner ( which frankly is good if youre going to be moving mulch and rock and all) just make sure once in a while you remove the liner and clean under it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
2badgn

I am using line-X and i already spoke with the installer on the phone. He is going to first prime the bed and let it dry overnight. Then spray the Line-X. Let that dry overnight and the next day, apply Xtra- Dupont Kevlar- protection against fading. It costs money but from the reviews that I have read, people were very satisfied w/Line-X more so than Rhino bc Line-X is sprayed hot and dries almoost instantly and cures over 24 hours.

Going to wait 30 days to install to let the truck paint cure bc Line-X people told me that in 2 cases, they had a repainted truck, applied Line-X and when they removed the tape from the bed side. the paint peeled off- probably bc it was not cured and the Line-X is sprayed HOT.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Line-X, hands down!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

There is a pretty big texture difference in the hot and cold applications as well. The Line-X has a more uniform texture, and looks thinner (cleaner, IMO. The Rhino is heavier looking, and the texture is thicker. If your bed is pretty clean, I would say go with the Line-X. If there is some damage, going with Rhino will help hide some of it.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
britnjc

I want more pics of the truck please
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
2badgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnjc View Post
I want more pics of the truck please
Sure, no problem. Thanks for asking. My dad bought this truck brand new in 1984 in the Bronx- Miele GMC on East 149th Street- after owning a 1971 Ford 250 that was getting old. It has a 350, 400 Tranny, Quadrajet, 4.10 gears, automatic. It is a Sierra 3500 2wd 1 ton. It has 108,000 miles. I decide to restore it bc it was starting to rust out. IFirst I had my local Chevy dealer change the timing chain, fix all leaks, change all fluids and rear brakes.
Then it was off to the bodyshop for 2 months as i bought over $4k in parts- new fenders, rocker, cab corners, 1/4 panel patches, seat, dash, misc trim, weatherstrip, etc.

Here's some before and afters: