The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
crakarjax

Tethering two Saddle Tanks

I'd like to cut down from three to one filler tube. I currently have the stock tank and two dealer-installed saddle tanks. Does anyone know of a solid way to connect the two saddles so that I can just fill up with one?

On a related note, is there a benefit of going with a blazer tank instead of a saddle? I think the saddles are 20gallons. I ask because I can't think of a better place for my spare than under the bed.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: Tethering two Saddle Tanks

The way the saddle tanks are designed you're kinda screwed on what you want to do. A guy could fab a pipe or hose to tie them together but that plumbing would have to run under the bed and would be subject to taking a hit by a rock or piece of road debris which would be a fire hazzard and a waste of your fuel. Plus a hole in one tank or in the plumbing you add would make you lose all the fuel in both. I'm also guessing it would take about 3 weeks to fill both tanks through some plumbing system.

Regarding the Blazer tank 'upgrade'. There are two schools of thought. One is that the tank is dangerous in the cab and they want it out. The other school wants the space behind the seat for more room for the seat and/or to add speakers and other behind the seat storage you see on post 72 trucks. People who do the Blazer tank aren't usually adding capacity, they are usually eliminating the seat tank.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
crakarjax

Re: Tethering two Saddle Tanks

I guess my question about the blazer tank is why not just use a saddle tank? Same benefits, it would seem.