The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

ball joint on upper a-arm

I've never replaced a ball joint before while swappings springs in my K5 I noticed the ball joint in the upper a arm looks pretty bad. Are they pretty easy to do? I assume I can just run down to auto zone and rent a press, but do I need to remove the a arm to get it done? or can I just hammer it down with a socket/pipe? Thanks

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: ball joint on upper a-arm

The uppers are riveted in if they are original. The replacements bolt in. If yours have not been replaced, the rivets will likely be the hardest part. The arm doesn't need to be pulled off of the truck, I don't think.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
oldschool18

you dont need to take the arm off, driill the rivits off and smack it with a hammer if it doesnt fall out. and the new onw will bolt in, the bottom ones are pressed and sometime you have to beat the hell out of them with a hammer but you cant really hurt any thing beating on them Just look at the hole in the control arm when you take them out you might want to take some rough sand paper and sand around the hole to remove any road build up or spurs so the new one sits flat and true.
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i foound it pretty easy to do ball joints with a dremel and a supply of cut off wheels... I took the dremel and sliced into the rivet and then took the slices off with a chisel. I did it this way not to damage or egg out the holes for the bolts for the new ball joint.
it took me about an hour or so a side in my driveway while my kids annoyed me to do this

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote