The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Moog Tie rod problem solver line

I bought all new MOOG parts for my truck build and my inner tie rods are their "problem solver" line. I am guessing is this may be the fix for worn out parts that have oversized things a bit?

It threads in to my adjuster sleeve with no problems, but it does not fit in the centerlink.

I am guessing it is a 9/16" threads that go into the center link and maybe 7/16" or 1/2" that it should be.

The parts number for the problem solver piece says it works from 71-86 i believe. part # ES409LT

They also have a part number for a "non" problem solve piece which is ES403L which says it fits 71-72 only.

So is the problem solver line oversized parts for worn out stuff and I just need the 403L?

anyone know?
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Re: Moog Tie rod problem solver line

I think I got it figured out. The ES409LT is 73-86 and the ES 403L is the 71-72 joint.

Rock auto and many places sell this part number as for the 71-72 trucks and it is not. It could work with reaming the centerlink out but it is not a direct replacement.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
dfwright

I was told the ES409LT are used when your centerlink is wallowed out some, and you need a larger diameter part. I originally got the ES409LT's as well, and they were too big to fit the centerlink. I ended up with the ES403L's installed on the truck

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
I was told the ES409LT are used when your centerlink is wallowed out some, and you need a larger diameter part. I originally got the ES409LT's as well, and they were too big to fit the centerlink. I ended up with the ES403L's installed on the truck
they would work for that yes, but they are not designed for that. I called Moog and "problem solver" does not mean fixing a part that has worn out, it is a marketing term on their new inner internals.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
they would work for that yes, but they are not designed for that. I called Moog and "problem solver" does not mean fixing a part that has worn out, it is a marketing term on their new inner internals.

Yes it is a marketing term. He got that info from me. here is the problem solver site

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/splash.aspx

We ream out the drag links when worn to install the problem solvers. Saves buying a drag link. We just use the term in the parts business to describe the larger tie rod end to order the correct one. We sold him the "problem solver" ends by a mistake when the warehouse pulled the wrong part. and I did not catch it.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote