The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
spr85gmc

got 5 lugs now need brakes????

like the tittle says I am doing the 5 lug swap outta a 77 c10 on my 66 gmc everything is done (pics soon), but now I need to figure out the brakes. Can you guys point me in the right direction or into a thread which will help me figure this out..? I already got the booster bracket from capain fab and really dont want to spend tons of money being Im a college student on a budget. thanks Israel
spr85gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
62gmc910

Re: got 5 lugs now need brakes????

I think there are some brake links in the FAC sticky in the top box
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)

Last edited by 62gmc910; 01-30-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: sp
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Can you elaborate a little more on just what part of 'the brakes' you need help with? The booster? the master?

There are booster recommendations in my sale thread for the booster brackets (link in my sig). You should be able to find these in a wrecking yard. For the master cylinder, just get the one for the '77 pickup. A rebuilt one from your local auto parts supply should be pretty reasonable. Use the proportioning valve from the '77 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr85gmc View Post
like the tittle says I am doing the 5 lug swap outta a 77 c10 on my 66 gmc everything is done (pics soon), but now I need to figure out the brakes. Can you guys point me in the right direction or into a thread which will help me figure this out..? I already got the booster bracket from capain fab and really dont want to spend tons of money being Im a college student on a budget. thanks Israel
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 01-30-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
spr85gmc

Do I need to run new lines or keep the original ones and just swap out the booster? What needs to be changed out? I read through many threads but every one does it differently ....I just want to make sure I do it right
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=disc+brake
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will need to at least run new lines up front to accomodate the proportioning valve and the front disc brakes. Your truck originally had a single reservior master cylinder. Now you need to use a dual reservior master for the disc brakes. If it were me, I would run all new lines front and back. You basically need to plumb the brakes just like on the '77 you got the front suspension from.

Read thru the thread that DPowers posted and let us know if you still have questions.

Last edited by Captainfab; 01-31-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
Malibob

I used Monte Carlo lines and am still (maybe not a good idea) using the single resivoir manual master cylinder. It stops ok but drags the rear wheels if I stomp on it. The calipers were the main problem for me. I had calipers and discs from 1.25" and 1" rotors, the 1" rotors used the Monte lines but the 1.25" used something else.

I would personally recommend using a master from the same system you had as a donor for the front discs, running the same sized lines front and rear and that should alleviate the need for a proportioning valve. That is my plan anyhow.

Oh, and I am not sure what the link recommends, just read the main lines that pertained. So may be the same!

Flickr

Last edited by Malibob; 01-31-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Malibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
spr85gmc

yeah I was pretty sure about running new lines so I may got to Napa and see if they have what i need Im just worried about bendind them. Just to be 100% sure the proportioning valce is the one bolted down to the crossmember correct with the brake line running through it, should i replace it or use the one off the donor?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Malibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr85gmc View Post
yeah I was pretty sure about running new lines so I may got to Napa and see if they have what i need Im just worried about bendind them. Just to be 100% sure the proportioning valce is the one bolted down to the crossmember correct with the brake line running through it, should i replace it or use the one off the donor?
No, that is just a T fitting. there should be 2 on the crossmember currently and one on the rear that goes to the brake hose.

If you run a dual master you will eliminate one of them from the crossmember because you will have a seperate line for the rear. Once you get under the truck and look it will all kind of make sense.

The proportioning valve is usually mounted really close to the master cylinder.

Flickr
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
spr85gmc

thanks malibob.... by chance do you have pics of them the trucks on my lot about 20 minute way so i cant just go out and check it out sure would be better than sittin here on the computer searching like a mad man
Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Malibob

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=1#post3257836

Look at the second post 1st picture. That thing hanging below the master is the proportioning valve.

The T fittings are just a brass T fitting with 3 inlets for brake lines.

Flickr
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

On the '73-'87 trucks the proportioning valve is located on the crossmember between the front of the engine and the radiator. You can mount it most anywhere since you're running new lines. When you go to get your new brake lines ask for the new type that are easier to bend and are kink resistant.

If you have access to a '73-'87 truck that has the brake lines and proportioning valve intact, you could try and use those lines and see if you can make them work on your truck. If nothing else the factory line configuration will give you an idea how to run the new lines.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Malibob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
On the '73-'87 trucks the proportioning valve is located on the crossmember between the front of the engine and the radiator. You can mount it most anywhere since you're running new lines. When you go to get your new brake lines ask for the new type that are easier to bend and are kink resistant.

If you have access to a '73-'87 truck that has the brake lines and proportioning valve intact, you could try and use those lines and see if you can make them work on your truck. If nothing else the factory line configuration will give you an idea how to run the new lines.
Apparently I was mistaken. Sorry

Flickr
Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I used the lines, master cylinder, prop valve, hoses, everything from my 80 model donor. The lines fit perfectly into the older truck. The master cylinder bolted directly to the firewall, even the two large holes for the front brake hoses were already in the frame rails.

I installed it all into place then drill two 5/16 holes to bolt the prop valve to the front most crossmember. What you are seeing here are all unmodified 80 model lines. When you bolt all the lines in place, the prop valve will be resting snug against the front most corssmember beneath the radiator. Just drill two holes and bolt it to the crossmember.

I even used late model 3/16 brake line from the donor back to the rear of the truck and used a 73-87 rear hose too.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 02-01-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote