The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
dubie

what are my chances of fire?

This is mainly aimed at guys that run dual exhaust with the gas tank in the cab. I am going to be runnign dual exhaust and the way it will be routed, it looks like the exhaust will pass right under the fuel lines on the passenger side. How close are you guys to the lines and, did you have to install a heat sheild of some sort?? Does anyone have pics of their exhaust running past this?

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i talked about the same thing a while ago. i ended up buying a heat shield (made for over the rear axle on wood bed trucks) put it over the fule lines the best i could.. looks better, i feel better but its still not a good set up.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
dubie

i was thinking of making a shield for it out of sheet metal. But I just wanted to see what others amy have done

Old 01-29-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

on the poly tankd they have a warning about putting item closer then 3 inches. talk to the exhaust guy he said not to trip cause heat wouln't really travel outward due to the car moving and wind. I got turn downs, lol the exhaust never went any further then the front of the axle. Heat shield should be some extra insurance and a little rest on the mind. i use to add heat shield that had a airbag between the coils, cause the exhaust pipe woudl run next to the it. never heard any complaints.

Last edited by Alexis; 01-29-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:12 PM   #5
RUDEDAWG

what do you all think about headder heat wrap? it comes in 1" by 50' rolls 24.95 at summit.?+-
ladderbar/coil rear with currie built ford 9'' rear, 4.11 gears
custom built rear frame
tubbed, 33/19.50/15 rear m/t.
m/t skinnies in front
still under construction
RUDEDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
junkyardjohn

Lightbulb

I'VE GOT A SMALL FIRE EXTINGUISHER MOUNTED IN ALL OF MY OLD TRUCKS (THERE CHEAP INSURANCE). I'VE NEVER HAD TO USE EM ON MY TRUCKS (ALTHOUGH I HAVE USED EM ON OTHER PEOPLES VEHICALS) (KNOCK ON WOOD). THE PIECE OF MIND THAT THEY CREATE IS PRICELESS.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
barn9
Half a bubble off!

The heat shield couldn't hurt anything, and would give you peace of mind, so I would go for it dube!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #8
COBALT

Wow....I've been worried about wiring causing a fire this whole time. Gee, thanks for the new worry Dubie! LOL

Let me know what you decide to do. I've got to spend some quality time one of these days replacing the fuel line from the tank to the carb. There's two spots where basic rubber hose is used to deliver fuel, and I don't like that one bit with all the heat flying around. My pipes are in bad shape from the collectors off the manifolds to the mufflers near the center support bearing, so heat is a concern for me too.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
dubie

It was just a brain fart i had while i was lying under the truck the other day. I will more than likely bend one out of sheet metal and just rivot it to the floor boards or something. Oh and thanks for the tip john about the fire extinguisher.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #10
Crank

I'd say get some of that heat resistant tape, like you see on the plastic on some quads. Or like that header wrap. That seems like it'd be better, I'd say use that and try to run the lines away from heat. Therefore you wouldn't have to worry about riveting anything to the floorboards and you would have peace of mind. Just my 0.02.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #11
>X<
registered IWATA user

since i cut my turndowns off my exaust bows str8 into my fuel cell, it about 2 feet from it though, and is inside a metal holder, buti still feel like one day i am gonn blow up

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #12
72shadetree
KEEP ON TRUCKING

id go 4 it

71 k20 sons

bassett va
72shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #13
Crank

I can imagine it now>>> Honey, my gawd, are you okay? What happened? Well I was driving home and wouldn't you know it, but my exhaust was gettin' pretty hott. Go Figure, exhaust gettin' hott. Then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, the d@mn truck just lit up. Not like a match, but like the God aweful hydrogen blimp accident. But I'm alright tho.
I'd say do something about it, and having an extinguisher, though is a good thought, it won't help much after the truck has been blown into a million pieces.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:04 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have dual Flowmaster 40's, UNDERNEATH my cab, between the frame and the rockers. My gas tank is still in the cab. I don't have heat sheilds between the mufflers and the cab floor (but probably should to keep the heat out of the cab). IF you run duals under a wood-floor bed, heat shields are nice to have, "just in case".

(The rest of my comments are not meant to be discourteous or disrespectful, but do represent MY opinion and MY feelings.)

Right now, my youngest son is in Abu Dhabi, my youngest daughter (and family) are having to declare bankruptcy because a mobile home salesman screwed them (and told them to get over it!) and now, you bring up this issue about what? Gas tanks in the cab and the proximity of mufflers and tailpipes? So, I guess I have something else to worry about. Tell you what...call me in the morning about 5am, and see if you don't have to wake me up. I think I'm gonna put this one on the back burner.

Honestly, I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. No reputable muffler man is going to weld on anything that could blow up, which would happen long before the heat from a muffler or tailpipe caused an explosion! I think you'll be okay to let them do their job. If you are afraid of the possibilities, don't do it. Stay with a stock single exhaust system.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:43 PM   #15
67cst
i love summertime

Someone ask mandrinsixseven about electrical fires..lol he still has my fire extinguisher to this day...hahahh

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:03 AM   #16
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

Personally, I carry a fire extinguisher! If you check around at your local boating supply stores there is a grey colored high temp fuel line that is available.... and it's been a while, but I think I paid about $3.50 per foot bulk. It's thicker, it's prettier, and it doesn't burn up. I currently have it running across the top of my intake manifold, and it's been there for about 3 years. You won't find it at your low priced stores, only those that deal with inboard V-8's and larger boats. The only thing better is the stainless steel braided hose, but that stuff is a lot of work. Hope this helps. TJ
1971 Shortbed 350/350 w/ Posi-traction 3:73's
1996 Chevy Silverado
TJ in Springfield, Virginia
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
1971LT1SWBPOSI373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:35 AM   #17
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

extinguisher is a good idea. my truck came with one mounted on the passenger side kick pannle, perfect spot for it. i have a few rags behind it. stops any rattle and are handy!
here is a pict..

ill take a pict of my heat shield tomorrow/.
Attached Images

mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:17 AM   #18
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Hmm my horn button lit on fire a while ago, but i never thought about exhaust too close to the fuel lines, better check that out.
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:00 AM   #19
Mudder

I had a rol of header wrap I never used on my headers so I used it on the exhaust pipes that run from the headers to the supertraps behind the cab. an't believe how much cooler the floor is in the summer. Thats maily why I did it was to see if the floor would be cooler. It works great but if your gonna do it I'd get stainless pipes.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #20
dubie

Hey ChevLoRay, I didn't mean to spark something in you other than a personal opinion on whether it could cause a fire harzard. The reason I asked this question is that I am bending and installing the entire exhaust system myself and just wanted other members opinions on what they have done. It was just something I noticed on my truck while I was laying out the routing for my exhaust and it triggered a question in the ol brain.
I am in on way making a mountain out of a mole hill here bud. Just looking for some opinions before I tackle this project, so LAY OFF!!!!