The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
85silverbeast

85 silverado wont start

I bought a 1985 chevy silverado 2wd swb 350 about a week ago, the starter didnt work I replaced it and it ran good for two days and for the past 3 days or so it wont even crank, the battery is good i replaced the terminals and all the lights and accesories turn on. What could it be? Thanks in advance for any help and advice im new to this trucks I used to own a 1994 mustang gt up until 3 weeks ago when i wrecked it.
85silverbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 85 silverado wont start

there is a fusible llink . thats prolly the culprit shame about the mustang, how about some pics of your truck ( and the mustang) and welcome to the board

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 01-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
85silverbeast

Yeah ill post some pictures of the turck I dont have any of the stang though thanks for the welcome and the reply where is this fusible link located ?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
MR .T

does the starter work if you cross the solenoid with a screwdriver?
MR .T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
85silverbeast

yeah I tried that the starter does turn its brand new too but the engine still doesnt start up. I checked all the fuses and all of them are good.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok the starter turns at normal speed or slower?

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
85silverbeast

Normal speed it almost feels like the engine is about to run but it just wont fire up. Thanks for your time and replies I apreciate it.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

do you have any starting fluid? spray the carb and see if it starts... sounds like it may be flooding or a carb issue and not a starter. Its very hard to narrow down on the internet lol

I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 01-31-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
85silverbeast

The thing is that if i dont do the screwdriver on the starter solenoid thing and try to start it with the key it wont do anything at all. This is frustrating it seems that all the wires are good but obviously there is something wrong I tried the starter fluid still nothing is it possible that the ignition switch isnt working properly.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok so when you turn the key nothing but if you jump out the two wires it cranks.. if the key is in the off position it wont run you have to have it in the on position for it to run. If you put the starting fluid in the truck and the ignition switch on run and jump it it still wont run?
The ignition switch is at the bottom of the column.its long and plastic held on by a couple of small bolts If thats bad i will do the same thing. the key makes the switch move a rod which makes the switch push contacts..If you need pics ill try to do that tomorrow with a column i have downstairs in the basement
based on what youre saying tho you should check those wires and along those wires where youre jumping to find the fusible link and use a wire tester to make sure those are good this could be a fusible link ( if im understanding this whole thing right)

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
85silverbeast

Thanks man Ill appreciate some pictures. Thats exactly what I did I sprayed some starter fluid turn the key to the on positon put the emergency brake on and did the screwdriver thing. A few hours I went to try it out and the truck started perfectly I left it running a bit and turned it off and I started it on once more and it worked perfectly and now its doing the same thing again thats weird.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok this sounds like its more of a carb or choke problem now but ill take pics none the less in a while. My wife was suppoused to go for chemo today but they didnt give it to her so once i get her back to bed and comfortable ill go downstairs to the basement

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
85silverbeast

Thanks for your time bro, hope your wife gets better.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
85silverbeast

One more question, when I bought the starter it came with 3 shims and 1 thin metal stick looking thing, do I have to install all 3 shims?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
MR .T

nope not unless it needs them. They usually dont need shims.
MR .T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
85silverbeast

When I removed the old starter it didnt have the shims so I guess it doesnt need them right?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

heres some pics with the column with no igntion switch and one with it.. I have waaay too many parts in the basement!
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #18
85silverbeast

Thanks for the pictures rusty c10 but I still cant figure this problem out.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #19
po_bird

could be the solenoid. it may be new but even new parts off the shelf can be bad or go bad. that or the ign switch.
75 EL CAMINO SS
po_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #20
85silverbeast

How do I remove the ignition switch?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
datguysaL

Ha, I found it. Like I was saying about the skinny wire, that one is the ignition switch wire, and I'm sure it should be fused, but if the trck cranks after a messing with it, the chances are fuse is good. Start from the starter. Hook up a light tester and turn key to the on. If u don't get power then work your way up to the ignition switch. I don't know the wire colors.
datguysaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you remove the ignition switch on the bottom of the column.. you check it the way i posted earlier.. it seldom is the key part or the rod if it comes to that ill post that too

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
85silverbeast

I got tired of messing with it I finally took it to my mechanic and he cant figure it out either he said the people that hooked up the alarm made a mess with the wiring. Ill post what the problem was whenever it gets fixed.