The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

I'm truly stumped

I posted an earlier thread with this problem, but now my problem has changed a bit. I have an 87' V10 with dual headlamps. I had a issue with when I turned my high beams on, and then the right turn signal, the right parking lamp, turn signal, and high beam would not work. The right turn signal indicator would also light up green, but not blink. No highbeams, you had no problems, but the turn signal blinks slowly and you could see the lower lamp barely glowing and also blinking!

I have checked and cleaned all the grounds, the harness, cleaned all the connections, checked bulbs, still same problem.

I was ready to give up because I couldn't pin the problem down, but then something happened. Working on it in the garage, I turned the highbeams on, and then turned the key on to try the turn signals. When I turned the right turn signal on, the seat belt warning tone started to buzz faintly, and I could hear the fuel pump relay kick on! I jiggled the turn signal right again, and the fuel pump relay buzzed again.

So, I know it is in the dash now. It has to be related to the ignition somehow because when the ignition is turned on, it normally activates the buzzer and kicks the fuel relay on. So what in the heck can it be? Turn signal switch, dimmer switch , turn signal lever, ignition switch? How would the highbeams, turn signal, and ignition all connect?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get all the facts in. Any direction is appreciated. I hate trouble shooting by throwing parts at something. I'm going to pull the column panel off and see what I can find tomorrow. Hopefully something will be evident. Probably not, but...!! Thanks
92470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
1LowToy

Re: I'm truly stumped

Again check your grounds. Next change out your head lamp and turn signal sockets. The sockets get bad connectins and grounds that willl caus all kinds of havok. I work wirh a company that has over 150 G body vans and this is very regular thing in wet weather. I.e. turning left both lamps flash. Following that change out your lamps.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have checked all the grounds and also visually inspected all the connectors, and they look fine. I even removed the connector clips from the plastic connector and cleaned them. Fidgeting with the turn signal lever is causing the buzzer to sound and also reenergizing the fule pump relay like when you turn the ignition switch, so I have to think it's in the column. I'm dropping the column tonight to move the wires a bit and see if something is pinched, anyone had the same issue with highbeams, turn signal and ignition actions related?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
1LowToy

Try removing the lamps from the sockets and if your still have your fuel pump and buzzer activating yes you may look into the turn signal switch. You may be able to plug in a new switch (Multi fnction switch) without installing it.

Does this switch have your hi beam switch in it also?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

Yes, the turn signal switch has high beam, cruise, wiper/washer.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
1LowToy

Try removing the lamps and see if your getting feed back to your other components (buzzers and fuel pump relays), By eliminating the lamps and turn signals your eliminating the need for their grounding or not grounding causing the feed back.

Look at the path of electrons (lol I know you can't see them). If power is going into a dual filement lamp (head lamp or turn signal) and it is not grounded properly the electrons go to the next best place which is the other filement. This causes the other lamps in the circut to light up. Even though you have a ground shown by an ohm meter it does not mean it is sufficient enough to ground the lamp with all that amperage. Just like any other connection it must be a good one. The lamp sockets are more than likely your culpret. Is the small ground wire from your battery cable to the body in place and in good condition? No corrosion in it at all?

Last edited by 1LowToy; 02-01-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
longbedrick

I had a similar problem on my '71 CJ-5 a while back. After spending too much time and money on all new bulbs, switches, and steering column... my dad told me to check the grounds. He and I went around the whole rig and replaced EVERY chassis-to-body point with new STAR WASHERS and clean copper. problem fixed!
longbedrick is offline   Reply With Quote