The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
blazinzuk

headliner repair

My crew cab headliner backing board is in pretty good shape, but it has several peices that are torn on it. Not damaging the integrity of the headliner but I think they will show through when I do the new headliner.

How can I build up the low areas? Is there anyway to strengthen the overall integrity of the headliner
Attached Images

blazinzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: headliner repair

at the shop, I use drywall mesh tape and suspend it over the low areas and glue it around the edges...that should keep it from sagging in the low areas...

another thing you could try that works pretty good if the whole board is wavy or bumpy, is to cover it twice...cover it once with the material upside down, as in the material side to the board...and then cover it again with the foam toward the foam of the first one...

Last edited by Stitch; 02-01-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
blazinzuk

Re: headliner repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
at the shop, I use drywall mesh tape and suspend it over the low areas and glue it around the edges...that should keep it from sagging in the low areas...

another thing you could try that works pretty good if the whole board is wavy or bumpy, is to cover it twice...cover it once with the material upside down, as in the material side to the board...and then cover it again with the foam toward the foam of the first one...
Question would covering it twice make the foam too thick for the trim pieces to go back on nicely?

I was thinking the drywall tape stuff just not sure how to attach it, thanks much for the tip!
blazinzuk is offline   Reply With Quote