The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #1
mrein3

Positive wire to block on fender - what size?

I just had to put a new battery in old faithful. Jeez you'd think they could make battery that lasts longer than 11 years!

What size wire should I have running to the power distribution block on the passenger side fender? I had an 8 gauge stranded wire there but the battery I bought has the posts on the other side so now that wire is too short. All I had laying around is 10 gauge wire so I put an end on a piece of that and installed it. Since it is major salt season I won't be using the truck much other than to drive out to the fish house. Should I be looking for a better piece of wire before I use the truck?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I think 10ga. is fine. I also had an electrical fire in my '69. I ordered new harnesses from LMC (another story). I replaced the lighting harness, and gave the engine harness to my son for his truck (another story, too). The wire you mention supplies 12V to the alternator, via that junction box. Make sure it is tight, and free of corrosion. The wire to the alternator is 10ga. too, I believe.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Maybe a dumb one, but what exactly does the block do? Mine has been bypassed and was wondering when I strat putting it backtogether if I should hook it up for some reason?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 AM   #4
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

After seeing the news a few weeks ago, I wouldn't drive my vehicle on the ice at all. The news showed a bunch of fish houses sinking, and mentioned someone's vehicle breaking through the ice.
1971 Shortbed 350/350 w/ Posi-traction 3:73's
1996 Chevy Silverado
TJ in Springfield, Virginia
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
1971LT1SWBPOSI373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The terminal block is a convenient way to terminate wires. On some trucks in addition to the power feed, the Amp meter wiring is hooked to the terminal block. On trucks with dual batteries a third wire is hooked to the terminal block.

It is really not required as you can connect directly. The problem pops up if you try to disconnect your wiring harness. With the terminal block, it is just a matter of unscrewing the nut.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I agree. The terminal block isn't necessary, per se. The original battery cables had spring-type ends that fit on the battery posts. The wire to the terminal block was a part of that cable assembly. If the block wasn't there, GM would have had to make the cable with a looooooooooong wire to go to the alternator. So, (my opinion) they chose to use the terminal block for logistical purposes that benefited GM.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
mrein3

1971LT1SWBPOSI373,
Not to hijack my own post but there is a time where I live when it is safe to drive on the ice.

Those houses you saw that fell through the ice were suffering from bad luck. Mine would have gone through too if I'd have used it the day before it got hot. Apparently what happened is the temps went way up above 40F. All the snow melted on top of the ice. Then it got windy. The wind pushed the water like during soft water season. If you fished the night before the hot weather, and your holes remained open, the water swirled around in your hole and slowly eroded the hole. The hole got bigger and bigger until it was bigger than your house. Those are the houses that fell in. My neighbor, a retired guy, went out the day they all fell in and noticed his holes were getting bigger so he just pulled his house to good ice.

Most folks that die on the ice, or under it, drive into open holes. Snowmobiles are the worst. They go too fast and out drive their headlights. Last week over da-burbs way two teenagers drove their car into an open hole. They didn't make it.

BTW, I'm going to leave the 10 ga. wire from the battery to that distribution block. I did notice everything from there is 10 ga. or less.
Center City, MN
Old 01-30-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

The previous owner of my Chevy had put a 10 ga. wire in there, and it worked fine until I tried to jump start a new Ford Diesel. The wire promptly began smoking and then melted. I put 8 ga. on there now and have had no problems. Either way you do it, make sure you have a fuse/fusable link in there.
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

So, fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls...
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!
Patrick Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
mrein3

Patrick,
Good point on the fusable link. I'll have to pick one up on the way home.

Smoking that wire by just jumping another vehicle doesn't make sense however. Are new diesels still a 24V system? (If not it shows you the last time I worked on a diesel which was an 80s Cutlass back in 88 or 89)
Center City, MN
Old 01-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #10
GMC Jim

you can make your own fusible link..... a fusible link is a short piece of wire 4 gauges samller than the wire it protects.....Jim
Old 01-30-2003, 08:49 PM   #11
JimKshortstep4x4

Jim,

Good info on the fusible link. I was wandering what the design criteria was on the links. I have always grafted other fusible links in as they are usually made up of fine stranded wire, which I assumed was important.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:10 PM   #12
71k5

I would strongly recommend 8 gauge wire, especially if you are running a higher amp alternator than normal.
71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote