The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
chevychic

Accelerating at freeway speeds

Now that I've been driving my truck 70 miles 2 days a week on the freeway, I'm finding other problems.

If I'm cruisin along at 65 and try to accelerate to pass someone, I start hearing a noise kind of like an exhaust leak (I think) accompanied with a metal ticking noise (like a fan). It's coming from the engine area and I'm not positive, but I THINK it's coming from the passenger side. Kind of hard to tell with all the freeway noise and rattles my truck has. The metal ticking and the air noise may be 2 seperate things but they both happen at the same time. That's the best I can describe the noise so if you need more details just ask and I'll do the best I can.
Once I back off the accelerator, the noise stops and I can cruise along comfortably. It's just on acceleration that I'm getting the noise.
I played around today and found that I don't always have to be at freeway speeds for this to happen. Once my 700r4 shifts into 4th gear and I try to accelerate I hear the noise(s).
As far as performance goes, it seems to bog down a bit when this happens. Not incredibly, because I can still increase my speed but enough for me to know that I'm missing quite a bit of power that could be there.

Just a couple of notes to help you guys out...
I did have a different metal ticking noise that ended up being a couple of loose bolts from my flexplate to tc. Tightened those up and that noise is now gone. (Although I do need to shim my starter now)

Any ideas?

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:00 AM   #2
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

im kinda having the same problem-i wonder if my starter needs shimmed?ive never had to shim a starter in a vehicle before however-why would you need to do that?i had my starter out a couple weeks ago having it rebuilt and ever since it has been out my truck has been making a ticking noise as well.i hope this is the cause and not the flywheel since i have nowhere to take out the flywheel and im moving so i need my truck and cant afford to have it down for long periods of time

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:14 AM   #3
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

Re: Accelerating at freeway speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by chevychic
Now that I've been driving my truck 70 miles 2 days a week on the freeway, I'm finding other problems.

If I'm cruisin along at 65 and try to accelerate to pass someone, I start hearing a noise kind of like an exhaust leak (I think) accompanied with a metal ticking noise (like a fan). It's coming from the engine area and I'm not positive, but I THINK it's coming from the passenger side. Kind of hard to tell with all the freeway noise and rattles my truck has. The metal ticking and the air noise may be 2 seperate things but they both happen at the same time. That's the best I can describe the noise so if you need more details just ask and I'll do the best I can.
Once I back off the accelerator, the noise stops and I can cruise along comfortably. It's just on acceleration that I'm getting the noise.
I played around today and found that I don't always have to be at freeway speeds for this to happen. Once my 700r4 shifts into 4th gear and I try to accelerate I hear the noise(s).
As far as performance goes, it seems to bog down a bit when this happens. Not incredibly, because I can still increase my speed but enough for me to know that I'm missing quite a bit of power that could be there.

Just a couple of notes to help you guys out...
I did have a different metal ticking noise that ended up being a couple of loose bolts from my flexplate to tc. Tightened those up and that noise is now gone. (Although I do need to shim my starter now)

Any ideas?
man heather Ill be damned if youre no describing engine pinging. does it sound like marbles in the motor?

try retarding your timing a bit OR better yet run some real high grade gas for a tank (or 1/2 tank) and see if it improves.

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:22 AM   #4
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Re: Re: Accelerating at freeway speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by mike reeh

man heather Ill be damned if youre no describing engine pinging. does it sound like marbles in the motor?

try retarding your timing a bit OR better yet run some real high grade gas for a tank (or 1/2 tank) and see if it improves.

mike
now im wondering if that could be my problem is the quality of gas in my truck.maybe i should run some premium in it to see what happens.sorry to steal your thread heather but i seem to be having the same issues as well.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:26 AM   #5
chevychic

Thanks Mike, I'll give the gas a try and see how it does.

Hey, where's your avatard? You have 107 posts!

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 01-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
85 K5

If it is pinging, and since you've just rebuilt your carb, did you vacuum guage tune your air fuel mixture screws? Lean conditions on these adjustments will definitely cause pinging during the conditions you describe.
Make sure it is fully warmed up, drive a few miles then connect the guage to manifold vacuum and adjust for maximum. It is hard to go overrich unless you have drilled out the discharge ports as described in Swervin's / Damon's article.

Doug
Old 01-30-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
chevychic

When I rebuilt my carb, I didn't change any settings. Everything went back to the way it was.
The truck did this before I rebuilt my carb but I didn't drive it enough on the freeway to be concerned or to even remember to ask about it.

I'll try premium for a bit. Is there a gas additive I can get that might help?

- Christopher Robin
Old 01-30-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

If the tranny dosent shift out of 4th and lockup at highway speeds [like my 2004R, Ill be damed if that thing will ever kick down out of 4th gear] then the engine cold be lugging. This would make any exaust leak very apparent, and load the engine to the point pinging could start.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:52 PM   #9
PHOENIX

When my air injection tubes were leaking at first, they came and went and sounds kinda weird. Just to eliminate them, idle your truck in your driveway and give each tube a little tug and see if you get any noise. If you dont, then try something else. Just one more little thing to check. I know when my problem first started (both times) it sounded like a metal sound, not an exhuast leak. Well as it got worse, so did the noise. Does the sound only happen at a certain rpm?
Old 01-30-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Im not sure if you have any Sunoco Filling Stations where you live but thats the only thing I have found that my truck likes. 89 with it being as cold as it has been and 94 in the summer. They put more stuff in the gas mix than some others.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:03 PM   #11
PHOENIX

I like Chevron gas. Ever since the 350 has been installed in my truck, it always gets Chevron. I have only put onthers in when I absolutely had to (10 times max in almost 4 years). I also only put in distilled water for the cooling system, helps to keep it real clean.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #12
chevychic

We don't have a sunoco here but I do use Chevron. I'll either go to them or Texaco only.
What octane are you guys using?

- Christopher Robin
Old 01-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #13
TODDS 72
Not the nightly winner

heather
if your engins mostly stock than you should be able to run 87 octane,try adjusting your timing by ear a little sometimes the timing lights lie..lol have you checked to see if the weights are moving in the dizzy,is there vacume there,sometimes the ports can get a piece of carbon in them,i know some guys think you should run higher octane but in 1986 this truck was made to run on cheap stuff,plus the lower the octane the more gas per gallon
the higher octane has more cemicals in it to raise the octane,i'd really try the timing adjustment things wear,it help my 86 stop pinging,and i run 87 in all the time.
good luck
69gmc c10 v8 3 on the tree yellow 72k10 swb 350 3 on the tree green
86k15 swb5.0L 4spd brown
TODDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
Chevy87blazer

Quote:
Hey, where's your avatard? You have 107 posts!

?????
Chevy87blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #15
Prerunner1982

what chevy87blazer? what are you confused about?
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #16
racedvl
Account Suspended

My 86 GMC 305 is pinging. It does the same thing you decribed. I have tried retarding, and high octain, witch have helped, but it's still there. SoI am planning on pulling the heads and wire wheeling the carbon off my valves. When I did the intake last weekend I looked down the intake ports and saw the carbon on the intake valves, and I'm sure it's on the exhaust as well. I'm also thinking that it will be a good time to slip a RV cam in it, and some new lifters. . . I would really like to find some Vortec 305 heads, but now it seems that I can't find any used ones now. .
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:03 AM   #17
chevychic

Quote:
Originally posted by racedvl
My 86 GMC 305 is pinging. It does the same thing you decribed. I have tried retarding, and high octain, witch have helped, but it's still there. SoI am planning on pulling the heads and wire wheeling the carbon off my valves. When I did the intake last weekend I looked down the intake ports and saw the carbon on the intake valves, and I'm sure it's on the exhaust as well. I'm also thinking that it will be a good time to slip a RV cam in it, and some new lifters. . . I would really like to find some Vortec 305 heads, but now it seems that I can't find any used ones now. .
When you get done with yours, wanna come do mine?

LOL

- Christopher Robin
Old 01-31-2003, 03:01 AM   #18
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Heather have you tried the tranny fluid down the carb yet? That worked for my old engine. Much safer than the water trick.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:07 AM   #19
racedvl
Account Suspended

Maybe, for a nice turkey dinner. . .
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:44 PM   #20
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

............Avatar............

avatar will be arriving shortly! dont think I havent been thinking about it

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #21
monypit

it might just be a small exhaust leak at the collector the lead doughnut might have wore out or the bolts come loose sometimes. You would notice pinging on acceleration in any gear and you said it only seems to happen in 4 so i would bet that it is just an exhaust leak. I had the same thing happen to me on my other blazer and my brothers at the same time. 4.96 for a new doughnut and it was all better
Old 02-16-2003, 07:20 PM   #22
CustomChevy

For diagnostic sake, try manually keeping your tranny in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gear. find out if it does this in each individual gearset. if it is only doing this in 4th gear, there is more likely a prob with your tranny.

you did say your flexplate was loose, but i doubt that the starter was being affected because the starter gear moves back in after starting.

also, have you checked your lifters? common problem on accleration if the nuts are not adjusted properly.

your exhaust leak could be just that, a leak possibly at your manifold-to-pipe connection. see if any of these bolts are loose and tighten as necessary. it could also be the cause of the tick noise. also check manifold-to-head connection.

hope this helps out!
CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #23
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

Didn't 1982's and up have Electronic Spark Control and a Knock Sensor that tied into the computer to retard the timing to prevent pinging? Could be a bad sensor if you've exhausted all other solutions.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #24
apstguy
LED King

Mine has the same described metal tick - except mine happens at 20 mph. It has always done it so I don't worry about it.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote