The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
no1uno55

pull-a-part yards

how are the pull-a-part yards in your area? i went to a few today to look around (memphis) and they have around 17 or so 73-87 c10s.
1. when you walk in the door they have a huge sign that reads=we check all
vin# . ok then on all the truck,van,blazers etc.. like ours one vent
window is broken out and the column is busted. all 17 of them.

2. all the bumbers are bend where the pick them up with the fork lift and put them in line.

3. all the hoods are bend back and the engine is exposed to the weather.

4. the doors are all open the the seats are all wet and molding.

5. and best of all i walked around to a area i was not allowed and they have
two car lifts. i saw were the guy working there were cutting the good parts
off two cars ie.. flowmasters, running motors, good transmission etc...

anyway just wondering how it was in your area. thanks for letting me rant.
no1uno
no1uno55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
DBLSPRT68

Re: pull-a-part yards

Hey neighbor! I'm in Olive Branch! I visit the PAP, pickyourpart in North Memphis and the yard on Mitchel. I know about all this stuff your griping about, BUT every once in a while you can find great stuff. I go about once a month. I look for Pontiac, BMW and Chevy truck parts, so I walk the yard except Ford and Dodge. I found an aftermarket Qualitex bench seat with the fold down console for $30.00 about two weeks ago!!!!! I've also found 2 Tach dash clusters! Just keep going, make the rounds and you'll hit something you need. What are you looking for? I might have it. PM me or e-mail at dblsprt68 at netzero dot net David
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

The one in Knoxville is actually pretty good. I look for 64-66 stuff and have found quite a bit. Early Saturday mornings seem to be the best chance to get new stuff in. My gripe is the guys that will damage or trash something to get the piece that they want and to heck with the next guy that might want the very piece that they just destroyed.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
07HDClassic

Some of the local yards around in my area are pretty good. My dad owns a junkyard in Poulsbo and I also work there when I am home.

All yards have to check the VIN's of all the vehicles that enter the yards by law (or at least they should), they have to have the title w/ VIN that matches the VIN on the vehicle.

About the bumpers, doors, etc., that is the loader/fork lift operators problem. I personally am one of the loader operator at our yard and I try as hard as i possibly can to not damage a car when picking it up..... but these things happen. Some vehicles are just hard to pick up, but if the operator is careful with what he is doing... there shouldn't be any mishaps.

95% of the hood being left open exposing the engine to the elements is the other customers faults. I go through once or twice a day closing hoods, doors, trunks, etc because people just don't care.... they get their part and that's all they care about.

With the doors being left open, the as well is mostly the ungrateful customers. Water getting inside the cab of vehicles is a problem, but a least we try to keep them dry. If the vehicle has a remarkable good seat for example: We will take that seat or part out and place it out of the elements so that it will not get ruined. If there is a vehicle with a running motor, good trans, etc. we will pull the parts and set them aside, because like I have said before, there are people that just don't care and wreck thing for others.

I'm explaining this not to offend others but just to inform everyone. Junkyards can get a very bad reputation, but that also depends on the owners/employees/customers. Our yard had a some what bad name going for it when we took over, but since then have made drastic changes to help clean up the area and organize to help us, the customers, and for the saftey of all. Next time you are at a junkyard, if you see any hoods/doors open close them. If there are parts on the ground, set them in a car/truck. It may not seem like much, but it would help out greatly and the employees will that you for that.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - 62K, Graystone Metallic
- 6 inch Fabtech Lift, 5 inch Skyjacker rear leafs
- 35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18"x9.5" AR Mojaves
1997 Chevrolet S10 ECSB 4.3/4L60E - 128k, Silver Metallic w/ Dark Charcoal Metallic Stripes
- Bagged, Custom Paint, Large Stereo, Custom Bed, Etc...
1967 Chevrolet C10 RCLB 327/TH400 - 82k, White
- A rainy day project to finish... when there's time
07HDClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i go to harrys in PA and have usually found at least two of five things im looking for

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Rogue_Sentinel

the one i go to here in nc, is the greatest. if i dont have all the money that day, they will let me go whit the part and come pay them the next day.
sometimes i get stuff for free. as of last week they had over 15 73-86 chevy trucks. they had about 10 or more of the older chevy trucks there to.

as of last week there were 2 c10 73-80 trucks that had all the blue interior in them. thinking about get them, wind it gets better outside

the one i go to is only (word of mouth) they have no advertise.
"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S THompson
Rogue_Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
GM72K10
Next!

http://www.joesusedautoparts.com/EZPull.html

WAY better than Harry's in Hazleton
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Dooley Dude

I've got no complaints about Chesterfield Auto Parts here in Richmond. I think a lot of the stuff you mention like doors and hoods open is more the fault of the customers than the management. The popular vehicles get hit hard and fast and people aren't real careful about what they don't need. I've almost always found the part I need at a very attractive price.
Dooley Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
b454rat

Depends what your looking for in yards up here. Clean sheetmetal forget it, not inless it just get set in the yard. But for running gear/drivetrain, I've made out fairly well. Interior is hit and miss, sometimes you find decent stuff, but then like Dpowers says the previous guy will trash something to get to the part that he wants.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

There are a couple of them here. One is pretty small and doesn't have much to pick through but the other is part of a very big regular wrecking yard so it is pretty big and done very well. They have it organized by brand and go around regularly to close any doors or hoods left open.

I went to college with the owners son who runs the vehicle purchasing part of the company. Nice guy. He set it up in the pull it yourself yard so that if somebody says "I can't afford that" when they are trying to purchase a part that they will give it to them free of charge no matter what it is.

My only complaint with them is that they bend lots of the long driveshafts when they bring the vehicles out on the fork lift. I need to tell my friend to have them yank the long driveshafts out and put them in the vehicle so they don't get damaged. He is just tough to track down with all he does there.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Ceeten

Saw a 91 burb at a u-pull it yard the other day with a perfect dash pad. The only problem was some jackass bent it in half to get something out from behind it.
Like they just grabbed it next to the drivers door and bent it over towards the passengers side. Made me sick. I did score a spare set of grille molding from a 87 and a mint glovebox from the suburban for 5 bucks.
Ceeten is offline   Reply With Quote