The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Kaysenmc

Question Facing a dilemma! What to do? Pics of mine

Need opinions from people with the same feelings for their trucks as I do.. I have an 86 K5 lifted (see sig and pic) and I am considering selling it.
The story..
I built it pretty much ground up about 3 years ago got laid off january of 2009 and sold it (for $6500) to pay bills. I got back on my feet and got another toy, then traded that truck back for my blazer (which has now been beat down pretty bad). I have it almost squared away but for it to be the ultimate blazer I have always wanted, it really needs about 3 thousand put in it. Needless to say I like my blazer as is even though its kind of pointless to have due to having several others and it gets pretty poor mileage.
When I sold it to the guy who was hard on it, a second guy really wanted to buy it but couldn't get the money together fast enough. Well now that I have the blazer again, the second guy called and has cash and is ready to buy it for real this time!! (only 5500 this time though)
Whats everyones opinion?

I'll still have my 87 swb, and a 2006 chevy swb that I consider my daily and also my rallye 350 for the car show/fundrags season.
I better add that as of Jan 22 I am engaged and plan to be married August 21 this year (everyones invited), so we are in the process of doing all that fun wedding stuff plus in the middle of buying some land (house, water, septic, and electricity too).
I guess I just feel that since I have very little money in the blazer it would give us a good start on life together (she also has an 89 k5 that she drives daily).

So anyone with any constructive criticism or comments would be appreciated, as I have really been thinking and worrying about what to do.
Thanks in advance everyone and heres some pics!
Attached Images

Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
longbedrick

Re: Facing a dilemma! What to do? Pics of mine

beautiful rigs! Keep 'em if you can afford it
longbedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Gregs71

I have a hard time selling trucks, but thats me. I say keep it if its paid for.
1987 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400s Dual Sport
1971 chevy long bed 2x4
194? Dodge 2.5 ton
1980 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 1/2 ton I6/sm455
1989 Chevy V30 crewcab dually 454/TH400
Gregs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
northern 85

Dump the blazer, and build the wifes up when your ready. Nice trucks!!!!
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I would let the Blazer go for $5500 in a minute. Put some in savings for the wedding or afterwards if you got laid off. Sell the shortbed with the tbi motor, rock the daily you were talking about and find another Blazer you really like in good shape thats not all beat up. Only reason I say sell the shortbed, which is sick looking by the way, is you didnt express any feelings for it but you said multiple times the Blazer is your baby. It'll be easier to put a car seat in the back of a Blazer than in the middle of a reg. cab and still have you and the wife be comfy. Good luck to ya whatever you decide.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
It'll be easier to put a car seat in the back of a Blazer than in the middle of a reg. cab and still have you and the wife be comfy.
I 110% agree with this statement...when the baby seat is facing backwards, there is enough room, but when you face the baby seat forwards, have fun...you'll be squished and me and my wife aren't big people if you know what I mean...that's why I bought my 87 crewcab...enough room for everyone plus we have another little one of the way...

like 1972SuperCheyenne said, I'd sell the blazer, but I wouldn't sell the swb...I'd keep it and make it my daily and sell the daily and lose the car payment and high insurance...but that's just me...I don't owe anything on any of my cars and I like it that way...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
I 110% agree with this statement...when the baby seat is facing backwards, there is enough room, but when you face the baby seat forwards, have fun...you'll be squished and me and my wife aren't big people if you know what I mean...that's why I bought my 87 crewcab...enough room for everyone plus we have another little one of the way...

like 1972SuperCheyenne said, I'd sell the blazer, but I wouldn't sell the swb...I'd keep it and make it my daily and sell the daily and lose the car payment and high insurance...but that's just me...I don't owe anything on any of my cars and I like it that way...
I agree. It's tough to take the family and all the stuff associated with the kids in a regular cab truck. That is the main reason I sold my 02 K2500 and we got the 03 Tahoe, that and the second car seat had nowhere to go. I have two booster seats in my 78 K20 and it is a pretty tight fit with the one in the middle always kicking the TC shifter into neutral or switching fuel tanks with her feet.

Sell her Blazer instead of yours since it has some sentimental value to you and get her an LS powered Tahoe or Suburban to use as the family rig & her daily driver. The four doors will make things much easier with children and you can bring other people with you without having to make them climb into the back.

If you would rather build up her Blazer and sell yours off you could get EFI out of the deal too and have a clean slate to start with. You could pay for 2/3 of a newer Tahoe / Suburban with the cash from selling your Blazer so the payment would be pretty small.

Keep the swb TBI truck and sell off your newer truck. You can make the TBI truck get pretty good mileage, make some decent power and make it pretty reliable too.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive been in your shoes and had to sell vehicles for financial reasons. If your old blazer needs alot of work to get it back to where it should be ($3000) then i agree with the poster who said sell it for $5500 and maybe put some $$$ into your fiancees
I would also speak to the future owner and tell him if he decides to sell it for any reason in any condition, you would like first dibs on it.
I sold a truck i owned for ten years and have regretted it since. I was going to buy it back but the kid i sold it to did things to it that i just cant get past. I have come to the relization that it will never be my truck again and i dont want it im just happy with the memories i had it in.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Kaysenmc

Well the guy is coming to look at my blazer and take it for a spin in a little while.

I should've added that all our vehicles are paid off, and this money will only be used for the land and whatnot. And no kiddos for a while (shes 21 and Im 22), we still gotta get her through school and everything with getting married and getting a house figured out. Besides I have a 6 month old boxer pup.. We definately dont need kids for awhile!

We were really wanting to possibly sell both of the blazers and get her a 06-09 ccsb, that way she sill have something reliable with more doors (in case something were to happen). And in the next 5 years or so build a 87-90 3/4 ton 4x4 ccsb for us to take wheeling.

She really loves her blazer though, I have attached some pics of "Georgeanne". its an 89 350 700r4 with a 4 inch lift and 33's, oh and its got quite a bit of pink on it. lol
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

except for the pink stuff i like hers better than the black one.. no offense and the pup is cute too.. but those steel dog bones wont do much for his teeth

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 02-06-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
dan76

Talk with her and arrive at a mutual decision. This action will set the stage on how to handle upcoming major decisions within your maritial relationship.

Good fortune on your upcoming nuptials.

Last edited by dan76; 02-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
bm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbedrick View Post
beautiful rigs! Keep 'em if you can afford it
x2
bm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
lovnthe70

I would sell the 2006 and keep the other 2.

DONT GIVE ME NO JIBBA JABBA!!!
lovnthe70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Slofarmtruck

I went through a very similar situation just recently. I ended up selling all my projects and toys to pay for our wedding. It was all my idea since I didn't want her to think she made me do it. It was so nice paying for the wedding in cash and having zero debt from it. Its been a little under year since the wedding and I already have a new project car and will be getting my truck shortly. In the end these are still just vehicles that can be replaced. You seem to be level headed enough for your age and I am sure will make the best decision based on your family's needs. Congrats btw on the upcoming wedding!
Slofarmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Sell The Blazer and C10
buy a nice Crew Cab or Suburban for the money might even be lucky to find a SWB as you said for wheeling find it with a diesel 6.2L might not be the most powerfull engine but it gets the job done with great mileage

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Kaysenmc

Well the guy came and we agreed on 5500, he is gonna pick it up on friday cause on the testdrive the passenger wheel bearing failed! Im gonna do a few things to it so he wont have to once he gets it. I feel pretty good about it all, now Im just gonna start skimming over the ccsb threads a little closer for when everythings settled down some.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysenmc View Post
Well the guy came and we agreed on 5500, he is gonna pick it up on friday cause on the testdrive the passenger wheel bearing failed! Im gonna do a few things to it so he wont have to once he gets it. I feel pretty good about it all, now Im just gonna start skimming over the ccsb threads a little closer for when everythings settled down some.
youre too nice i sell stuff as is where is although if you coulda got more for it if you fixed the wheel bearing that is a no brainer

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
mitch1965

Congrats on selling. If I had the cash, I'd pick up the '96 tahoe in denver for $1200(it has a bad engine), add a crate and upgrades. Like others said, it's really nice starting out a life with as little debt as possible.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
_SLACKER_

should have kept the Blazer 1. It's a 4X4 and they can pretty much go anywhere and you never know when you may need that. 2. When kids come into the picture I have a 2 & 4 year old with two car seats in the back and it works out very well I have even taken them out wheeling before. 3. when you think about it a lowered 2wd regular cab pickup is pointless. just my two cents.

Last edited by _SLACKER_; 02-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.
_SLACKER_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Kaysenmc

I have been looking on craigslist to kindof get an idea on k5 prices, and I think I got above average price for mine with the rust it has and stuff it needs to be a reliable, safe, and good looking truck. I know what you mean slacker about the 4wd being handy, thats why we will still have the silver one until we sell it too (only to buy a newer 06-09 crew cab z71). But with the black blazer having lockers in the front and rear you really couldn't use the 4wd in anything except slick mud.

I couldn't believe that the bearing went bad during the test drive though.. I have driven this thing alot over the last couple months and it hadn't missed a beat til now. Now I just have to figure out how to get it all apart.

As for the 87, I just couldn't let it go. I looked for 9 months to find a black low mile original truck with all factory options and no rust. so I gotta keep it since I have it how I want it now. (plus we were both born in 87!!) Its great for roadtrips and running around for a change from the 06.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #21
longbedrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
youre too nice i sell stuff as is where is although if you coulda got more for it if you fixed the wheel bearing that is a no brainer
my Grandpa has always told the buyers of his used cars, "if that car breaks in half, and you're out of my driveway, YOU own both halves"
longbedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #22
Kaysenmc

Well guys he owned it for 8 days and flipped it today.. Kinda sad to see it, but it looks like its started its downward spiral
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
Matt Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysenmc View Post
Well guys he owned it for 8 days and flipped it today.. Kinda sad to see it, but it looks like its started its downward spiral
figures....
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
britnjc

you cant fix stupid...
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
doublearrow

Dang that sucks. I sold an 07 vortecmax chevy silverado in december to buy my 87. One week after I sold it to a dealership a guy in town bought it and it's already dented all the way down the passenger side.
It isn't yours anymore, but still pisses you off.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote