The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Wheel Bearings question

So I'm getting a "vibration" in the steering wheel when I drive. I took off the driver's side dust cap and looked at the bearings. There isn't a ton of grease, but it's not dry either.

My question is: How can I tell if the bearings are bad if there is no obvious damage? There's a little "play" if I put my fingers in the inner Bearing casing and move it in and out, but I don't even know if that's normal. Can anyone give me some guidance?
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: Wheel Bearings question

Get that wheel up in the air. Grab it at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock and see if there is any play. If there is play, and it isn't in the a-frame bushings or ball joints, you probably need to replace those bearings.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Get that wheel up in the air. Grab it at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock and see if there is any play. If there is play, and it isn't in the a-frame bushings or ball joints, you probably need to replace those bearings.
Gotcha! Will do!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

To inspect the bearing they need to come out and be cleaned. Then turn each roller andsee if it has damage. Usually you can tell buy the race. It would be mared or pitted. Mostlikely you have either an imbalance or worn front end parts. Bearings usually growl whenbad.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
OhOneWS6

Get the tires balanced or rotate them front to back and see if the vibration moves.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-06-2010 at 04:51 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Update: so I jacked up the wheels and did what mrein3 said. On the driver's side there is "more" play ( I can jiggle it and it's more noticeable) than on the passenger side, but the passenger side does jiggle too.

To address what DWSCR said: I would agree, except this problem was sudden and not a gradual thing. I would think that if something "wore out" I would notice a gradual problem.

It sound like I should proceed with getting the bearings changed.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

Spin the wheels & listen for a growling noise. If so it's sure to have bad brgs. No dought they need to be inspected & packed but unless they are just falling apart it is probably not the cause of vibration.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Spin the wheels & listen for a growling noise. If so it's sure to have bad brgs. No dought they need to be inspected & packed but unless they are just falling apart it is probably not the cause of vibration.
Hmm.. When I rotate the wheels, I don't hear a "grinding" noise per say-more like resistance (brake pads perhaps?) and a metal on metal scraping kind of sound...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
OhOneWS6

I'm still putting my money on a tire or wheel issue. You may need to service the bearings but as others have said, I doubt that is what is causing you vibration.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

It's just that I've spent a lot of time/money into fixing up and I'm afraid if I drive it, the wheels are gonna fall off LOL!!

I'll try having the tires rotated, I suppose....
Old 02-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
I'm still putting my money on a tire or wheel issue. You may need to service the bearings but as others have said, I doubt that is what is causing you vibration.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

So, I take it I'm just being paranoid about my truck then? I am *really* afraid of causing any damage to it that would run in the hundreds/thousands to fix (Money's tight right now) and I'm taking the approach of not driving it at all, but it's killing me cause I love that thing...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
So, I take it I'm just being paranoid about my truck then? I am *really* afraid of causing any damage to it that would run in the hundreds/thousands to fix (Money's tight right now) and I'm taking the approach of not driving it at all, but it's killing me cause I love that thing...
I hear ya. Do you have a floor jack? Just rotate the tires/wheels from the front to the back yourself and see if the vibration moves. I bet it will. Or take it to your local tire shop and have them rotate and balance them.

How often do you drive the truck? If it wasn't moved for a period of time the tires may have a flat spot.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
I hear ya. Do you have a floor jack? Just rotate the tires/wheels from the front to the back yourself and see if the vibration moves. I bet it will. Or take it to your local tire shop and have them rotate and balance them.

How often do you drive the truck? If it wasn't moved for a period of time the tires may have a flat spot.

Well, you may have a point about sitting for a spell. It was sitting for a while when I sorted out my previous problem (converting from externally regulated to internally regulated alternator-LOVED that fix, but I digress), and even when I started driving again, I would only drive it 2 maybe 3 days a week....AND the tires had started to go a little flat...so perhaps the tires DID start getting out of balance....

I'll start there-it's cheaper anyways, that's for sure!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Well, you may have a point about sitting for a spell. It was sitting for a while when I sorted out my previous problem (converting from externally regulated to internally regulated alternator-LOVED that fix, but I digress), and even when I started driving again, I would only drive it 2 maybe 3 days a week....AND the tires had started to go a little flat...so perhaps the tires DID start getting out of balance....

I'll start there-it's cheaper anyways, that's for sure!!!
A tire shop should be able to put a runout gauge on them when they balance them and check for out of round and flat spots. Be sure to post up what the solution is. Might help someone down the road that finds this thread

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-06-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Ok, so I'm back from the tire center. They did say that the tires were grossly out of balance and that one of the rear rims was bent (great, more money), but it still isn't solving the original problem. When I'm driving, I can feel what almost seems like (now that I think about it) one of the rims had loose lugs & the rim was wobbly....Wonder if I'm being "fooled" into thinking there's something wrong in the front, when the rim (in the rear) is actually causing the problem...

Ugh...so much fun...

Last edited by elektrik; 02-06-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Ok, so I'm back from the tire center. They did say that the tires were grossly out of balance and that one of the rear rims was bent (great, more money), but it still isn't solving the original problem. When I'm driving, I can feel what almost seems like (now that I think about it) one of the rims had loose lugs & the rim was wobbly....Wonder if I'm being "fooled" into thinking there's something wrong in the front, when the rim (in the rear) is actually causing the problem...

Ugh...so much fun...
How badly bent is that rim? That would be the next thing I would check. Do you have a spare? Maybe try to find a board member near you that would swap wheels and tires with you just long enough to isolate the problem.

EDIT: Did you have them rotated? If not you could still rotate them and see if the issue feels like it moves. You are heading in the right direction. Your new description of the problem could certainly be a bent rim. I have had that feeling from an aftermarket rim not seating properly because it hit the weights on the rear drum.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-06-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

They did offer to rotate the tires, until they found the bent rim, then they told me to leave it there because if it did, it would be "worse"....
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
Larry S

i just went thru this with one of my trucks. Id rotate them. If it moves from front to rear its a tire or wheel issue. If not, Id pull the bearings, if all of your suspension is good.. The bad bearing I had, Id swore it was on the front right, but it was on the front left. It could be a # of things, broke or loose motor mount, u joint, etc etc. Sound travels, sometime itl fool you.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
mrein3

Look at all your other front end parts too. Tie rod ends, idler arm, center link. If one of the ends of one of them is worn out, you'll be wandering all around.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote