The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Larry S

worked on fuel tank relocation today

heres what i did. I made a fuel pump and sending unit for the blazer tank, out of the 0-90 ohm sender assembly that came with my tank and the the pump/ sender assembly from the 96 silverado donor. I put the pump from the silverado onto the "pick up" line for the blazer assembly. It was kinda tricky to get it all in that 2" hole, but its all in there. Then I knoched my bed so it will clear the tank. then I sat the bed back on the frame. Next session I'm hoping to figure out my filler. Im torn between the side marker fill and a hinging taillight.
Attached Images

Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Larry S

Re: worked on fuel tank relocation today

more
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
msgross

nice job, thanks for the pics...

Is that going to be an EFI engine, reason for the pump in tank?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Larry S

1996 5.7 vortec sitting in the front. The pump and the engine came out of the same truck. I have the complete donor truck, gonna use most of the wiring harness to get this thing goin. Im only working on it on rainy cold weekends. Ive got too many projects goin.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Racinaround

That tank looks huge?
How does it look from behind?
1971 Chevelle
2008 Dodge HD3500 Tow Rig
Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
eagleuh1

What tank is that, where did you order it from and price? Thanks. You did exactly what I've got to do soon for my 5.3 install. Good job. Does your sender flange at the tank already have a return tube installed in it?
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
big_al_71

Great work!! Having the donor truck there makes life alot easier wether to use parts from it or to make parts to fit like what it had.
Thanks for sharing..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Larry S

I ve had the tank a few years and dont really remember where I got it. I think it was around $200. My truck hasnt been on the road since 2001. The sender does not have a return line. The tank has some extra "ports on it. I used one as a return. I had to cut the "cradle" that the pump sits in off the 96 sender assembly, welded it to a piece of stainless allthread and drilled a hole in the sender flange and hung it from the top. It was kinda like "building a ship in a bottle" because the hole in the tank is so small. I had to put the pump and allthread in the hole 1st then put the rest of it down in there and push them togather by tightening the nut on the top side of the flange on the allthread. That pulled it all togather. Also had to drill a hole for the wiring harness. Ill put some more pics on here later today. It was alot of bs, but Im just trying to use what I have. I think the tank is a 21 gal blazer tank.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Larry S

heres a few more pics of the tank.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Larry S

Im going to have to cut the cross beam under the bed out some more to make the filler work. The crossbeam is dead center of the filler hole on the tank. Im thinking I'll cut it at a 45 deg angle from the bottom at the fender skirt thing to the top where its cut now. Then I could cut 2 pieces of 1.25x1.25" tubing and weld them to the bottom of the bed and let them sit on the frame for support, one in front., and one behind the filler. That bed bolt will be a "dummy" I dont really like cutting cross beam anymore, but its that or knoch the frame and drop the tank lower and I like that idea alot less. This is the plan for now unless I have any better ideas before the next time. Im leaning towards side marker filler. Probably come up in corner of bed just in front of stake pokcet and go thru bedside at marker light and box it in and make it pretty. Will a radiator hose work for fuel filler hose? Does anybody know?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

petroleum products (oil and gas) destroy radiator hoses. most good parts stores carry fuel filler hose in straight sections of different sizes. if you need something with a bend in it I would look around at different cars at a junk yard for ideas. pay attention to full size vans in particular.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Larry S

Ok thats what i was thinking. Just sitting here lookin at each and they look the same. Looks are decieving, I know.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
QKENUF4U

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductL...?Category=2025

do a google search and youll find all ya need. i had to do the same thing with my 71. ended up with my filler in the wheel well....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
eagleuh1

Hows this working out for you? Did you get the gas tank all set up? I've got to start working on something for mine soon. Got my engine in today.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
67vetteal

Filler Ports, Gas Impervious Hose etc. are also available at Marine Supply stores. Al W.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
72truckster

Im doing this project currently, just cut my cross member out and went to the bolt holes for the fender skirt thing. Another suggestion I have come across in my reading is to weld on a larger diameter inlet pipe 1 1/2 OD I think, because it is almost impossible to find fuel hose in the diameter of the stock filler neck. Also based on what I have read the factory gas caps are vented so they will suck in air as the tank is drained. So if you are using a boat filler or other mod you might need to look at installing a one way valve to let air in. I'm planning on using 90 degree exhaust tube to make my bends with fuel hose in-between. I hope to be hooking mine up in the next few days.
72truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Larry S

I got it all in. I havent got to crank the truck yet. Im working on the wiring. Im only working on this project on rainy weekends. I have alot of other outside projects goin on. Last wknd i built the side marker filler. I used the filler pipe and gascap from the 96 silverado donor. Then cut about 6" off of the end of a 78 suburban filler pipe, and welded it on the 96 pipe. It was a 1 3/8 pipe. then I went to a local industrial rubber and gasket company and got a piece of 1 3/8 fuel compatible hose to connect from the metal filler pipe, to the tank. I think its all going to be good.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
72 Long

I'm installing the same aftermarket tank that you are (CounterPart?)
I posted a thread regarding a problem I'm having with height of the top part of the tank being too short to allow the filler neck to clear the frame (as yours seems to be doing fine). Did you run into any problems like this?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=390845
72 Long is offline   Reply With Quote