The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
ClassicDreamer

stripers?

Are there any pinstripers among the AD guys. Striping, Leafing and car art have always amazed me. Recently I just took up striping, only have done it a couple times. Bought Alan johnsons book. Had the privalege of watching Anthony White (00mack). So these are some pieces I have been working on, only picked up the brush about 8 times. Comments, advise, suggestions? Post some of the work and how long you have been striping. Thanks Andrew

ClassicDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: stripers?

I don't have any others to share, but I just wanted to say "you do nice work." To me, the more perfect the lines are, the more they look like vinyl. I like yours.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
ClassicDreamer

Hey bowtie. Thanks for the comments. I agree with the more perfect looking like vinyl, but I still have a FAR FAR way to go. Anyone else?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Hey CD I have been thinking about trying it myself..any hints where to get the supplies??

as far as your striping...looks a bit too busy for me I like the old school min. look.....keep posting your stuff I bet everyone gets better.....I found out that you need to have a few beers first when doing this stuff..kinda takes the edge off....besides thats what painters are supose to do!!

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
ClassicDreamer

hot trucks. You can find the stuff online many places. www.dickblick.com has good deals. You will need 1 shot paint, 00 mack brush, some mineral spirits. I bought Alan Johnsons Book. It is great. I hear you on the busy sketches. The more I look at them the more I think the same. I come up with brain freeze at times when beginning. Going to try the beer approach. Andrew
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I want to learn how so I can lay the out line of flames on my truck over the primer..it would be a waste of $$ to pay someone to do it then change a body panel or something..another dream I have had is to do a barb wire pin stripe around the truck...either or??? in the homework I have done I read that some newbies are using rustolium for practice..something about the thickness and amount of pigment....

I have been looking for an old projector so I can sit it on the floor and it will shoot the lines onto the truck...then maybe I can follow them...lmao.... theres alot of stuff to "borrow" from the net

but congrats on getting started...maybe you can print some stuff off the net to use as a guide..my problem is I have NO artistic skills

Jeff
Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

The sign painter who did my door art signs told me that rust-oleum works in a pinch. But he uses that one-shot too.
You might PM Shane. I think he does pinstriping, not sure. I know he has a Von-Dutch avatar.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
ClassicDreamer

never heard of using rustoleam. I have heard of people using Stabilo pencils to sketch and idea and then you can paint directly over it. You can also draw a sketch on paper and then use a docking tool to cut small holes on your lines. Put the design up to the item your painting on and use a powder over the dots, leaving small powder dot guidelines. The guy that is teaching me said to just do it free hand or else you will have to use pencils and paper all the time and rely on them.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I guess alot depends on wether you are just doing it for yourself and your buddies or wether you want to get out and do it..for me it's just me and my buddies..

what I do know for a fact that if you get sick of what you have done after a year or so you can use the yellow can of oven cleaner and a soft brush to remove it..then just a wash and wax and you'll never know it was there....I have done alot of big trucks like this and it works like a charm...also works on vandalizum with a spray can on any smooth surface

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011