The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
wwotr

First time por 15 user?

In taking out the old Seat, Carpet and Mat out of my 72 GMC, I noticed this Rust. I know the correct thing to do would be to replace the Floor pan but that aint gonna happen.

So I see that "POR 15" has a "Starter Kit" that looks like it would be perfect for my application. Although reading the Instructions online was a little concerning.
I.E. "If 1 drop of Sweat falls into the Can of POR 15...THROW IT AWAY"!

Anyway, I was wondering how YOUR experiences were with it. Seems like a good thing to do BEFORE I put the new seats in. The Rust isnt THAT bad (see attached pictures), but an ounce of prevention.........
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 02-07-2010 at 05:49 PM.
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: First time por 15 user?

The starter kit does a very small area. I got one some time ago.

One thing I will vouch for is POR-15's degreaser called "Marine Clean"... it works fantastic. I did my entire front clip and firewall with it... spray it on and hose it off... Good stuff!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 02-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
capev86

por 15 will only cover the rust. coating it with zinc after it is cleaned up will actually work to stop electrolysis and stop the "cancer" in its tracks. they use zinc anodes on boat props used in salt water for a reason.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The starter kit does a very small area. I got one some time ago.

One thing I will vouch for is POR-15's degreaser called "Marine Clean"... it works fantastic. I did my entire front clip and firewall with it... spray it on and hose it off... Good stuff!

Gary
Thanks Gary.
It looks as though it is just enough to do those 2 spots on my floorpan, and its only like $25.00!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
msgross

I would take a wire wheel to that, and cover the entire floor with POR-15... just buy a quart and you'll be good.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
AusTruck

Agreed with the wire wheel and then POR 15. I've used the stuff and have always been quite satisfied. Once dry, it really does seem like you could hit the stuff with a hammer and not affect it.
AusTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
leddzepp

Thumbs up Re: First time por 15 user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
Thanks Gary.
It looks as though it is just enough to do those 2 spots on my floorpan, and its only like $25.00!
I use it exclusively, as do many restoration shops. Click on my build thread. The starter kit will do your floor with noooo problem. And yes, if the surface is cleaned and prepped correctly, you can hit it with a hammer and it won't even scratch it. The metal prep in the starter kit coats it with zinc, neutralizing any rust.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 02-07-2010 at 06:42 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The sweat dropping into the can of POR is a non issue. You will need to pour a portion into a disposable container to brush out of and seal the remaining portion in the can anyway. You never brush straight from the POR can.

Any more questions, just ask. As much POR as I have used you'd think I would become a dealer for them.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
07SSSC

x3 on the wire wheel followed by Por-15, my floors had more surface rust then yours so I used a die grinder with various wire wheels and pads then covered the whole floor with Por-15, excellent stuff.
07SSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

[QUOTE=Tx Firefighter;3786542]The sweat dropping into the can of POR is a non issue. You will need to pour a portion into a disposable container to brush out of and seal the remaining portion in the can anyway. You never brush straight from the POR can.

QUOTE]

I agree be sure to put some clear wrap over the can befre you seal it or you will never get it open again without a can opener...also if you put some clear wrap on whats left in the can it will keep it from getting hard....if you have a beer frig in the garage throw the can int he freezer section...this is about the only way I have ben able to keep the left overs

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
leddzepp

I buy it in the small cans ( comes in a 6 pack) That way you don't have to worry about re-sealing a larger can and risking it hardening up before using it again. Just use one can at a time.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
wwotr

Thanks Guys!
Looks like I'm headed in the right direction and I appreciate ALL the Input, (when it's positive)!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Pick up a pack of rubber gloves like your favorite doc uses. It is really hard to get off your skin - or anything else for that matter.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
Racinaround

It funny i read this thread today! I recieved this text message from you employee yesterday
" I found what gets POR 15 off your hands very well A Course Rock! "

Go with the gloves!!
1971 Chevelle
2008 Dodge HD3500 Tow Rig
Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The sweat dropping into the can of POR is a non issue. You will need to pour a portion into a disposable container to brush out of and seal the remaining portion in the can anyway. You never brush straight from the POR can.

Any more questions, just ask. As much POR as I have used you'd think I would become a dealer for them.

what i do is drill two holes in the lid so i can pour the por out and seal the holes whit sheetmetal screws that have hexheads

also dont wear clothes that you want to wear out in public once on the POR15 isnt coming off the clothes or for that matter your skin either
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 02-08-2010 at 07:16 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
BigRed Beast

Is POR15 a stand alone--can it be painted or Rhino-lined?
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Woody

POR has a primer you should use before painting.....not sure about rhino-lining.

Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right", do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
DZL1
One day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I would take a wire wheel to that, and cover the entire floor with POR-15... just buy a quart and you'll be good.
Can POR 15 be applied directly to the rust area after you wire wheel it, or does it need some other type of prepping? Thanks.

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This is a timely subject for me. I just removed a factory receiver type trailer hitch from a 1988 GMC pickup I bought as awreck. I want to mount the hitch on my 1997 Chevy ( I'm funny like that, I like the way the factory does things) but was wanting to redo it so it isn't all scuzzy. I was gonna get it sandblasted then powdercoated then thought of POR-15 instead. I have 2 questions.. Should I sandblast the hitch if I want to use the POR-15 or just use a wire wheel from my hand drill to clean it up? Next question is how much is a quart of POR-15 in the USA, I called my local supplier this morning and they want 70.00.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #21
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You're going to have to paint over the POR15 on your hitch. The sunlight kills the appearance of it. It must be topcoated in any application exposed to sun.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #22
culp7
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
This is a timely subject for me. I just removed a factory receiver type trailer hitch from a 1988 GMC pickup I bought as awreck. I want to mount the hitch on my 1997 Chevy ( I'm funny like that, I like the way the factory does things) but was wanting to redo it so it isn't all scuzzy. I was gonna get it sandblasted then powdercoated then thought of POR-15 instead. I have 2 questions.. Should I sandblast the hitch if I want to use the POR-15 or just use a wire wheel from my hand drill to clean it up? Next question is how much is a quart of POR-15 in the USA, I called my local supplier this morning and they want 70.00.
my por-15 catalog says that they want $22.95 for a pint, $44.95 for a quart, and $143 for a gallon...

you can order off their website
1976 Dodge Aspen W/ 225
2000 Toyota Tundra w/4.7
1987 Dodge Ram D-100 w/360
255/70-15
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
leddzepp

Nothing lasts forever, but when the por wears off of my truck I am sure I will be pushing up daisies. The supplier I buy from has been using it over 20 yrs himself, and it still looks brand new on the vehicles he has restored. They also make daubers so that you can get it in all the crevices and corners. If you get it on your skin, por solvent will take it off. Their engine paints and hi-temp paints are also great products. I recommend getting a catalog of all their products, they have a lot more than just encapsulating paint. Lots of good advice here for preserving it once the can is open. When not using the small cans, I have had the best luck saving unused portions in a Mason jar. The saran wrap between the lid and the can has also worked for me, although it does not seem to last as long.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #24
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Pick up a pack of rubber gloves like your favorite doc uses. It is really hard to get off your skin - or anything else for that matter.
The instructions on the can says if you get it on your hands "only TIME will remove it", LOL!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
The instructions on the can says if you get it on your hands "only TIME will remove it", LOL!
I have the perfect pair of pants for this job.
They were my Levis I was wearing when I went down
on my Motorcycle in June. EMT's had to cut them off me.
It was a "rights of passage", so I had my Wife sew them up again,
so I call them my "Frankenpants". My Cat has to get a creme solution in her ear, daily, so I have a Box of Heavy Duty Latex/Rubber Gloves.
As far as shirts...Every "Work Shirt" I have, looks like S*H*I*T, so thats a no brainer!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 02-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.