The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
winchster

Question Help me decide

I have a '49 and I'm trying to make what should be an easy decision but for some reason it is proving rather difficult.
My problem is, I don't have a lot of money to spend on my truck, *insert insane laughter here*. I have a friend that owns a sheetmetal shop and I can have him build my bedsides much cheaper than I can purchase them. The dilema comes in now. It would be much simpler to build a bed in the '54 style with flat tops and square tubing than to weld the round to the 16 gauge brake of the '49 style.

What are ya'lls opinions on this?

Keep in mind that my plans will never include shows or "historical correctness" I'm just looking to drive the wheels off a paid for truck.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
blackdiesel

Re: Help me decide

make it custom. hardly anyone else will notice anyways...
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

If the cab, grill and bed don't match I always notice and wonder why. Its not that I'm an originality nazi, because I'm not, its just something I notice in evaluating a truck.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
jjjmm56

are you to that point where you need the bed now? I've tried to get the things done without spending a lot. If your ready for paint and ready to drive than by all means make your bed. But if you wait you may find one down the road.Bed is one of the last things that go on anyways.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
If the cab, grill and bed don't match I always notice and wonder why. Its not that I'm an originality nazi, because I'm not, its just something I notice in evaluating a truck.
Ok, I get that. I've read a few of your posts and you notice the details. (ie the kid asking what year his truck was and you getting specific down to whether or not the right bed was on the '52. ) I'm not saying you or anyone else on THIS board is an originality Nazi. LOL
I'm just looking for cost effectiveness. I'm going to try to weld round onto some 16 gauge and if I can do it then I may stick to the original. If not, then IDK. I think maybe square would be easier to weld without it getting warped too bad.

My grill will stay original, my cab is going to get a one piece windshield because I think I can make it seal better, and oh yeah, the whole thing is going on a '78 K5 Blazer chassis.

Either way, I'm thinking diamond plate aluminum floor instead of wood. Wood won't last under the Texas sun.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Last edited by winchster; 02-09-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjmm56 View Post
are you to that point where you need the bed now? I've tried to get the things done without spending a lot. If your ready for paint and ready to drive than by all means make your bed. But if you wait you may find one down the road.Bed is one of the last things that go on anyways.
No I'm not even started yet, I'm just looking for ideas.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Thadious

Personally, I did the fold it and weld the round tubing on the edge... it's not difficult and just takes some time and very little fill. I did use 16 guage cold rolled sheet and 1 5/8" tubing with the same wall thickness as the sheet. Honestly, unless you look real close for the end of the tubing where it should be rolled around and not into a complete circle, you can't tell the difference.

The only think useable on my original box was the front stake pockets, I had to order repro's for the rear. I made new sides and a new front for less than it would have cost me for just one side.

Just my 2 cents,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
blackdiesel

trust me, 99% of the population wont notice....
'57 2wd change

Last edited by blackdiesel; 02-09-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
Personally, I did the fold it and weld the round tubing on the edge... it's not difficult and just takes some time and very little fill. I did use 16 guage cold rolled sheet and 1 5/8" tubing with the same wall thickness as the sheet. Honestly, unless you look real close for the end of the tubing where it should be rolled around and not into a complete circle, you can't tell the difference.

The only think useable on my original box was the front stake pockets, I had to order repro's for the rear. I made new sides and a new front for less than it would have cost me for just one side.

Just my 2 cents,
Ted.

Cool, and BTW I would love to have some dimensions on your superior core support. That is slick.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
MrTucker

in my opinion - if you're going to make something from scratch you should make something different. If you 300 hours making a bed from scratch and it looks like stock - nobody will know. But if you make something custom...
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
That is one slick truck. I went and looked through your build thread, but that is a really good overall picture of your bed. Good work, and it looks amazing.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Thadious

I went with the stock look on mine, still have to go back and do some slight trimming and fitting but I still prefer the stock look.

As for the core support, I basically just took an original chev one and rebuilt it using 16 gauge galvanized that I had kicking around. Also helps that I teach sheet metal at the Military Trade School here in town (military myself) so I have full access to alot of nice equipment and layout tools.

Holler me if you need any specific dimensions.

Cheers,
Ted.

PS Looks like I may have to go back and do some engine reconfiguring... may be swapping the 4.3 for an LS1 here shortly... =)

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I guess I'm a one percenter. That bed screams custom built to me.

If the purpose is to replace the bed at minimum cost I think duplicating the look of the stock bed is the right approach.

If on the other hand the purpose is to create a custom bed either in how it looks or some functionality, then custom bed is the right way to go. My opinion, and I realize its just my opinion, is that if you set out to do something custom the standards are higher for success.

BlackDiesel's bed while clearly custom at just a glance, does show great workmanship and meets a high standard. Putting together a truck that is conceived as a driver and not a show truck I'd be more comfortable myself with making it look like an original bed. The expectations and level of scrutiny it will receive would be much easier and cheaper to meet.

Based on what I know of Winchester's project I think that's the best approach. But again, its just my opinion.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #14
blackdiesel

I expect nearly everyone on here to notice the difference. But at fuel stations and stops around town people try and guess the year, but most only know its in the "50's". Let alone the small details like a custom bed rail. I built it this way because at the time I couldn't find a good stock bed. Right after I finished this one dad and I picked up a great looking swb step side bed.... doh!
'57 2wd change