The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Damon23

Just got a 87 Sierra, have ?

Hello all. I just picked up another 87 but this time it is a sierra. It is a nice truck, great body, all the bells and whistles but it has a problem. It has a bog in it. It is the factory fuel injection system. When it gets up to the upper rpms it runs smooth as silk but getting there seems like a hassle. Any ideas on what to look for? I was going to replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor then run some seafoam thru it to see it that clears it up. The truck has sat for a few years so maybe it just needs to be driven. Thanks in advance for you ideas.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Just got a 87 Sierra, have ?

if its sat id do exactly what youre thinking about and get some fuel injection cleaner and clean out the TBI. Id also change the fuel filter and go from there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
cableguy0

If it sat for a while. First do the tune up parts and fuel filter etc then unhook the battery and let it sit for an hour or so. actually the best thing to do is unhook the battery while your doing the tune up. get some foaming throttle body cleaner and spray down the throttle body let it sit while your working on the truck.swap the fuel filter and make sure you get some fresh fuel in it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon23 View Post
Hello all. I just picked up another 87 but this time it is a sierra. It is a nice truck, great body, all the bells and whistles but it has a problem. It has a bog in it. It is the factory fuel injection system. When it gets up to the upper rpms it runs smooth as silk but getting there seems like a hassle. Any ideas on what to look for? I was going to replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor then run some seafoam thru it to see it that clears it up. The truck has sat for a few years so maybe it just needs to be driven. Thanks in advance for you ideas.
Quick question: what's "seafoam"?

I'm not familiar with that -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Damon23

It is a product that some shops use to do fuel injector and intake cleaning services with. But for us regular guys, you would use it and run it thru a vacuum line to clean the upper intake. It works really well. You can also run it in your gas to clean the injecters.

Any particular brand on this foaming throttle body cleaner?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Can't think of the name of the stuff I use come ins red and white can. I was gonna say the same thing do a tune up. Fuel filter and clean everything out then drive it and clear it all out! Should get the trick done.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Quick question: what's "seafoam"?

I'm not familiar with that -

K

Here you go Keith. Their Bugs Be Gone works awsome. I used to get the sample bottles whe it first came out. They fit in the back pocket nicely then off to the car wash on the motorcycle. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, bugs almost fly back off.

As for the truck problem, Start with the tune up. check for vacuum leaks too. Lines, hoses and throttle body base gasket.

Last edited by Damien; 02-09-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot to insert Seafoam link
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Mr.Chevy4x4

Check engine light on? Check for codes. EGR problems can and will cause a low end bog. I fought with the for a while before I found out that the EGR solenoid was bad. $20 later and she ran like a champ.

Mike
Mr.Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Damon23

no check engine light on. of course it could be unplugged.