The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

New 72, and some questions for the Guru's.

Hey Guys,

First off let me say Great Site! I learned a ton of info before I even looked at this truck. I am not a stranger to classic Chevy's, I have had a 1967 Rally Sport Camero, 1965 Chevy Carry All, 1954 Chevy Bel Air etc, but never a C10.

I will post up my tech questions after I have crawled through every inch of this thing tomorrow, but my first question is suspension and wheel related. The truck currently sits pretty raked (High in the back), I want to lower the rear to match the front. I don't want to hassle with doing a full front and rear drop and have to start modding stuff.

I have seen 2", 3", and 4" rear spring kits, and am wondering if anyone has just lowered the rear and what size spring kit you went with?

I am going to ditch the Cragars and tires (Which will be for sale if anyone is interested) and go with a different wheel set up as well. And am looking for affordable recommendations, and if anyone near CA that has wheels for sale. I like the 16" Camero style rally wheels from Vintique, but also like the 18-20" Boss look.

Anyways, i'm sure I have ranted enough, am excited to make this truck my own style. Thanks in advance for your help, and I am glad to be a part of this site.

Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: New 72, and some questions for the Guru's.

Generally, if you want a level stance you need to lower the back 2 inches. That's why the 4/6 drop is so common, it lowers and levels the truck.

If I was just going to lower the back 2 inches I'd just use lowering blocks. I did an article in the FAQ section showing step-by-step how to make your own.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
DZL1
One day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Generally, if you want a level stance you need to lower the back 2 inches. That's why the 4/6 drop is so common, it lowers and levels the truck.

If I was just going to lower the back 2 inches I'd just use lowering blocks. I did an article in the FAQ section showing step-by-step how to make your own.
Welcome and nice truck! I agree with TxFirefighter. BTW, I followed his FAQ and made my own lowering blocks!

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
D-Rat

FWIW, I think the wheels look sharp on that truck.

www.nissan4wheelers.com
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Hey,

Thanks Guys, I think I will go with the blocks. And D-Rat,I think they look good too I just think they look too small sitting in those huge wheel wells. Has anyone run the Summit Racing 141 series? They look like the TT II's, I'm looking at the 17x8 with 4.50 backspacing. Think I'll have any trouble with them?

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
smallstroke67

Eckler Classisc Trucks sells a 2" rear drop spring for $140 a pair. If you want steel rallys check out Daves Rally Wheels online I just bought a brand new set of corvett rally's with caps, trim rings, and lug nuts shipped to my door for $455. They came in Wheel Vintique boxs.
smallstroke67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstroke67 View Post
Eckler Classisc Trucks sells a 2" rear drop spring for $140 a pair. If you want steel rallys check out Daves Rally Wheels online I just bought a brand new set of corvett rally's with caps, trim rings, and lug nuts shipped to my door for $455. They came in Wheel Vintique boxs.
Thanks man, so I ran into a buddy of mine today and he said he has a set of 20" boss TT II style wheels. My question is, I have seen some people have trouble with the center bore size, does anyone know if 72's have that issue with those wheels?

Also don't know the backspacing yet but what is the max for the truck, 5"?

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"