The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
big_al_71

My father had a horrific accident!!!! Graphic Picture warning

Hey guys I wanted to share with you all a horrific accident that my retired father had last Thrusday. I. On Thursday he was cutting some metal in his house (Dont know why) and with a circular saw it hooked on the metal and jumped up and he was trying to cover him self and it got his right hand (Throttle hand) unfortunetly he lost two fingers from where it bends and the third finger was damaged pretty badly and they were able to save that one for now after a six hour emergency operation.
He had come by my office earlier that day and I spoke to him about some of the things he has been doing (He thinks he is twenty) even though he is 68 he rides his motorcycle hard all the time with my brothers, with me or whomever and we spoke about just relaxing and taking it a bit easier then not even 45 minutes later I get the histerical phone call from my mother. Please put my dad in your prayers he is out of commission for at least three to four months.

I have made some great friendships in here, my dad needs your prayers

here are a couple of picts of the damaged goods....

Thanks fellows.....cherish everyday like it's your last I could of lost my dad if the saw would had gotten his chest, neck or head...

Thanks
Big Al
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: My father had a horrific accident!!!!

i gave up praying but ill keep good thoughts for him. Wife will pray... You can also tell your dad that i am taking this as a serious warning as I've done the same exact move with the saw, and my buddy has nicked his fingers trying to trim in the table saw... the only thing is he is still able to give the left handed one finger salute to the people doing 30 in the hammer lane on the interstate!!! lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

WOW guess it is better to loose some fingers than a neck! Id hate for somethign to happen to anyone much less my grandpaw who enjoys playing with this type of stuff! Hope he gets better, soon.

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
big_al_71

Thanks Bob.....I really feel horrible for him. He has had the weekend from HELL with all the pain but he is as tough as they come I was with him yesterday as I had to work saturday he is in good spirits even though....Of course my mother is giving him the third degree...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: My father had a horrific accident!!!! Graphic Picture warning

I added in a graphic pic warning to your title, and moved this to shop safety.
I wish your Dad a speedy recovery. I would not wish his injuries on anyone.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
WOW guess it is better to loose some fingers than a neck! Id hate for somethign to happen to anyone much less my grandpaw who enjoys playing with this type of stuff! Hope he gets better, soon.
definetly tell him to be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I added in a graphic pic warning to your title, and moved this to shop safety.
I wish your Dad a speedy recovery. I would not wish his injuries on anyone.

Thank you Liz I really appreciate it.. I did not know where to post it. I sure feel horrible as my dad is a gearhead and jack of all trades so I dont know how he is going to react once he heals and cant use his hand like he used to. Will see.....

Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
definetly tell him to be careful

Thank you Liz I really appreciate it.. I did not know where to post it. I sure feel horrible as my dad is a gearhead and jack of all trades so I dont know how he is going to react once he heals and cant use his hand like he used to. Will see.....
you would be surprised.. if hes a gearhead he will find a way to adapt ... he will be out there under the hood before you know it!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

He will probably be frustrated for a while. Which is very understandable. But like Bob said, he will find ways to do what he wants to do
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Al your dad will be in our thoughts and prayers; sorry to hear about the accident.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Thoughts and prayers for your entire family. As one who has limited use of fingers and hands I can tell you he will be frustrated while trying to perform the simplest of tasks. Show him love and support but not pity. It works for me.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
you would be surprised.. if hes a gearhead he will find a way to adapt ... he will be out there under the hood before you know it!
That is what I am afraid of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
He will probably be frustrated for a while. Which is very understandable. But like Bob said, he will find ways to do what he wants to do
You are so right, I know that he will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Al your dad will be in our thoughts and prayers; sorry to hear about the accident.
Thanks Nate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 586 View Post
Thoughts and prayers for your entire family. As one who has limited use of fingers and hands I can tell you he will be frustrated while trying to perform the simplest of tasks. Show him love and support but not pity. It works for me.
Thank you, he is in good spirits laughing, talking about his dumb mistake (his Words) I only hope to be 1/10th of as tough as he is, this man can take some pain. There is no pitty for sure just lots of love and support..The only part I feel soryy about is that my mother is driving him crazy...(his Words)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
BB72CHEVKT

cherish everyday like it's your last

I agree.

Best of luck to your Dad. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
cherish everyday like it's your last

I agree.

Best of luck to your Dad. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Thank you, I appreciate it!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
scooterskoolkustoms

Im very sorry for your dad,I hope he recovers soon.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
cableguy0

Missing a couple pieces of fingers probably isnt going to slow him down much. If hes determined to do something he will find a way. The stepfather of an old friend of my dads was in his 60's and only had one arm. Not sure how long ago it happened. But this guy liked to restore 40's-50's cars. He would completely restore and rebuild a car with one arm that looked better than 90% of the stuff i have seen come out of shops with able bodied people. Its a shame that it happened but i would think he will take it as a lesson learned. I think we are all guilty of getting lax at times esp on safety stuff. Hes probably done the same thing 1000 times over the past 50 years and never had a problem. If he has lived his entire life at a fast pace and doing whatever he wanted to getting him to slow down at this point i wouldnt think is terribly lucky. My post isnt meant to piss anyone off just throwing out another perspective. Tell your dad to heal up quick and use a clamp next time. he knows better
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.

Last edited by cableguy0; 02-15-2010 at 09:11 PM.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
big mike71

Sorry to hear about your dad sounds like mine 73yrs old and won't ask for help doing anything. Mom's always on him about something.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #17
msgross

I hope for a speedy recovery Al...

Growing up on a farm we had a few incidents... my grandfather got his hand caught in the feed grinder and lost his outer two fingers down the to wrist. He was fine and besides having troubles gripping a large wrench, you would have never noticed.

Another buddy got his arm stuck in the combine, lost the arm at the elbow and all four fingers on the other hand. He had major difficulty and contemplated suicide for awhile. he made it through and is better now and has prostetics.

Keep his spirits up and make sure he doesn't get depressed in the next few months. Atleast he's alive...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Prayer sent,He'll be a while recovering but I'm betting he will not slow down a bit.At 68, he's old school.Adapt and Overcome is their nature.

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 02-15-2010 at 09:43 PM.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
bigsnookmaster

Sorry about you father, but as Mike said, he's still with us! He looks like a pretty tough ol dude though, I don't think I'd mess with him!Lol. Hope he has a speedy recovery, and is back to wrenchin in no time. Pictures like this always keep me aware, as one mistake can affect the rest of your life. Thoughts and prayers are with him. Good luck!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
VA72C10
VA72C10

Prayer said for a speedy recovery and peace over the situation. I know he's got a good son to support him
Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Man Al, that sucks! Tell your Pops that all the guys and gals on the board wish him a speedy recovery and tell mom not to be too hard on him, all of us old guys have brain farts once in a while...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #22
Mudder

Great to have family that loves him and looks out after him. He will be alright. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
meathead95
computer illiterate

I am sorry to hear about your father AL. I wish him a speedy recovery and will keep your family in our prayers.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterskoolkustoms View Post
Im very sorry for your dad,I hope he recovers soon.
Thank you!!!!! We appreciate it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Missing a couple pieces of fingers probably isnt going to slow him down much. If hes determined to do something he will find a way. The stepfather of an old friend of my dads was in his 60's and only had one arm. Not sure how long ago it happened. But this guy liked to restore 40's-50's cars. He would completely restore and rebuild a car with one arm that looked better than 90% of the stuff i have seen come out of shops with able bodied people. Its a shame that it happened but i would think he will take it as a lesson learned. I think we are all guilty of getting lax at times esp on safety stuff. Hes probably done the same thing 1000 times over the past 50 years and never had a problem. If he has lived his entire life at a fast pace and doing whatever he wanted to getting him to slow down at this point i wouldnt think is terribly lucky. My post isnt meant to piss anyone off just throwing out another perspective. Tell your dad to heal up quick and use a clamp next time. he knows better
Thats the biggest problem that he has been wrenching since very young and he can not comprehend that he should slow down. He does things sometimes without really thinking thru in other words the fastest most efficient way. I pray to God that he at least will slowdown some to realize that slower some times is faster... thanks for your support.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dad sounds like mine 73yrs old and won't ask for help doing anything. Mom's always on him about something.
Thats funny that is how my parents are all the time...thanks Mike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I hope for a speedy recovery Al...

Growing up on a farm we had a few incidents... my grandfather got his hand caught in the feed grinder and lost his outer two fingers down the to wrist. He was fine and besides having troubles gripping a large wrench, you would have never noticed.

Another buddy got his arm stuck in the combine, lost the arm at the elbow and all four fingers on the other hand. He had major difficulty and contemplated suicide for awhile. he made it through and is better now and has prostetics.

Keep his spirits up and make sure he doesn't get depressed in the next few months. Atleast he's alive...
Mike you are right!! What really upset me was the fact that this big ass circular saw could had gotten him on the chest or neck and I could had lost my father in the most stupid way if you know what I mean. Things like this should not happen to an experienced man like him...
We appreciate your support.....Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdriver 1958 View Post
Prayer sent,He'll be a while recovering but I'm betting he will not slow down a bit.At 68, he's old school.Adapt and Overcome is their nature.
I know he will bounce back...What I would like to see is him pay attention a little bit more by slowing down some..I dont want him to be a vegetable just sitting but I dont want to have to have him go thru another recovery..
We appreciate your support thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
Sorry about you father, but as Mike said, he's still with us! He looks like a pretty tough ol dude though, I don't think I'd mess with him!Lol. Hope he has a speedy recovery, and is back to wrenchin in no time. Pictures like this always keep me aware, as one mistake can affect the rest of your life. Thoughts and prayers are with him. Good luck!
He is in good spirits Greg and he is a tough SOB for sure. We appreciate your support....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Prayer said for a speedy recovery and peace over the situation. I know he's got a good son to support him
Thank you!!! yes sir we have his back thru thick or thin We are three brothers tight as could be but we are about to go ape **** on his ass when he gets better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Man Al, that sucks! Tell your Pops that all the guys and gals on the board wish him a speedy recovery and tell mom not to be too hard on him, all of us old guys have brain farts once in a while...

LockDoc
Thanks Leon!!!! Will do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Great to have family that loves him and looks out after him. He will be alright. Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead95 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your father AL. I wish him a speedy recovery and will keep your family in our prayers.
Thanks Keith!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
big_al_71

Here is a pict when my mother and I picked him up from the hospital. He is doing alot better and is already walking around like if he has ants in his butt.

My father says a BIG THANK YOU to everyone for the well wishes.....
Attached Images