The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do you smog your classic chevy? (more than 1 choice ok)
Yes, still have too.. 1 6.25%
No, it rolled over. 14 87.50%
I ride a bike, and i do not know why im here.. 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
spinem
haha, ford guys...

California wants to re-instate 75&^ smog

They are talking about smoging our trucks again, KEEP YOUR CAT'S & AIR PUMPS!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
draggin86

Re: California wants to re-instate 75&^ smog

gayyyyyyy
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
ghettoluxury

I love ohio!

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71

Last edited by ghettoluxury; 02-16-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
raws67

I thought 75 and up recieved the smog in California already?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by raws67 View Post
According to dmv.ca.gov:
Quote:
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline-powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident, diesel-powered vehicles manufactured in1998 or after with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel-powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner . When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

* The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
* A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
I don't live in an exempt area but I work in one so my cars are registered at my work address.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
diponyou

thats one thing i def dont miss about cali.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
raws67

I know that there is some counties in California that dont require the constant smog tests but that may change. Ohh and if you think your safe in another state be warned the current administaration that someone voted in is already changing smog laws across the nation. Obviously the smog pumps are stupid and make no sense at all when it comes to the real problem of smog but the government will try and implement this as a way to generate funds from everyone who tossed all that stuff or they will force a lot of people to haul their square bodies to the junk yards because they cant afford all the parts to install worthless junk that just boggs the engine down anyway.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

the smog tests must be to raise $$$ there sure aren't enough 1975 anythings left to make a difference.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Stepsideride

Dont feel bad...we have that **** here too....same 75 and newer standards apply
luckily here I was able to get an Antique Auto tag.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinem View Post
They are talking about smoging our trucks again, KEEP YOUR CAT'S & AIR PUMPS!!!!!!!
Who is "they?"

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by raws67 View Post
75 and older is exempt. 76 and newer require smog checks.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
the smog tests must be to raise $$$ there sure aren't enough 1975 anythings left to make a difference.
This is true. There are a lot of shops that do emssions testing and it would be a large blow to them to loose the income from the tests. Most new vehicals in California are actually cleaning the air just by driving around. Basically, The larger the engine in your new car, ie a Z06 vette, the more air you are cleaning. The same is true about the states that require a gas station attendant to pump your gas. The law is only to keep jobs. It isn't hard, I know people that can barely tie thier own shoes that can pump their own gas just fine.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
manimal

did you read this somewhere?
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I'm holding onto my truck.... one day the air may be too clean and they'll need us to get the eco-system back into balance... hahaha!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Most new vehicals in California are actually cleaning the air just by driving around.
Huh? If that were true, we would have the cleanest air in the world as opposed to some of the dirtiest.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
camshaftgsxr

i think that was a joke? maybe? or somebody needs to get out of the fumes for a few
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Huh? If that were true, we would have the cleanest air in the world as opposed to some of the dirtiest.
No really, some cars actually will clean the air in a disgusting city such as LA. It only happens in really polluted places.

Anywhere else it will dirty it.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli View Post
No really, some cars actually will clean the air in a disgusting city such as LA. It only happens in really polluted places.

Anywhere else it will dirty it.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Who is "they?"
INSPECTION & MAINTENANCE REVIEW COMMITTEE

On their page look at the 2009 report.

Page 13 (15 in the document) of that report:
Quote:
Pre 1976 Vehicles

The IMRC has recently completed a study using data from a remote sensing project that was conducted in southern California by the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Over 3 million records were collected which included the photo of the vehicle’s license plate. We have reached two conclusions based on this study:
1. Many pre-1976 model-year vehicles were observed on the road with extremely high tailpipe emissions which would place them in the gross polluter category; and,
2. Many of these vehicles are driven on a daily, including during rush hour and are used for business.

On this evidence, the argument espoused by some that older model-year vehicles are rarely driven is flawed. We observed that a significant number of these vehicles were older model-year pick up trucks that appeared to be in a poor state of repair based on their emissions levels and their appearance. These vehicles were driven during rush hour traffic on a daily basis. Even though additional work is required to determine the number of these vehicles currently registered as well as to quantify their emissions contribution, it appears that many of the early 1970s vehicles should be brought back into the Smog Check program.

CONCLUSIONS
The Smog Check program continues to be the state’s largest emission reduction program. As previously mentioned, the ARB estimates that the program reduces the emissions of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen by 337 tons per day. Unfortunately, several problems exist that reduce the program’s effectiveness both in terms of cost and emissions reduction. The challenges faced by the program require several changes in order to improve and sustain the state’s most important emission reduction tool in future years so that we can continue to improve air quality for both current and future generations. To that end, we respectfully suggest the following changes to the Health and Safety Code and the California Code of Regulations.

We reaffirm the following recommendations for statutory change from previous IMRC reports:
1. Implement annual Smog Check inspections for older model year vehicles;
2. Implement OBD-only testing for newer model-year vehicles using enhanced audits that include Remote Sensing Devices and Roadside inspections to confirm the performance of OBD only testing.

NEW RECOMMENDATIONS FOR STATUTORY CHANGE
3. Repeal sections 44050 - 44053 of the Health and Safety Code;
4. Add a new section to the Health and Safety Code that authorizes BAR to develop a fine structure through statute or regulation that would authorize fines up to $5,000 per violation in accordance
with section 125.9 of the Business and Professions Code; and,
5. Require vehicles from model-years 1967 through 1975 that were previously subject to the Smog Check program and for which a commercial registration applies to be subject again to Smog Check inspections.
Notice also that they are specifically targeting pick up trucks and recommending annual not biannual inspections.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #20
camshaftgsxr

^^does the OBD only testing you mentioned in your quote include checking for false o2 sensors? my buddies t/a has them to fool smog tests through the obd2 port in the car

i say if your there give up and buy a prius or move (i would move)

and what does a vehicles apperance have anything to do with its running gear?

Last edited by camshaftgsxr; 02-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
Irish's_79_Step

wow. were doing the opposite here. they just lowered it to 96 and newer.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
^^does the OBD only testing you mentioned in your quote include checking for false o2 sensors? my buddies t/a has them to fool smog tests through the obd2 port in the car
Quote:
2. Implement OBD-only testing for newer model-year vehicles using enhanced audits that include Remote Sensing Devices and Roadside inspections to confirm the performance of OBD only testing.
Looks to me that they will do spot checks and roadside ambush stations to check if it is working, as long as the vehicle is running "clean" I would assume thay wouldn't catch you, but if an inspector were to actually get down on his/her hands and knees....

Quote:
i say if your there give up and buy a prius or move (i would move)
I would but I can't afford to find a new job in another state. I refuse to buy a PIAS!

Quote:
and what does a vehicles apperance have anything to do with its running gear?
Absolutely nothing, just "profiling" what they didn't mention is how many of those old trucks were being driven by "undocumented gardeners"
'69 GMC Custom Camper
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
raws67

Wow that would be just another reason to stop traffic so people can spend that much more time with their cars sitting at idle, thus burning more fuel and causing an even bigger problem. I wonder how much money they did on that study instead of finding solutions to real problems. Isnt California out of money right now?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #24
camshaftgsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEET72 View Post
Absolutely nothing, just "profiling" what they didn't mention is how many of those old trucks were being driven by "undocumented gardeners"
thats the same reason marijuana was made illigal in the south west, looks like a trend
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #25
spinem
haha, ford guys...

these hippy tree huggers focus on all the wrong small dumbass details, out trucks arent making the smog, the city busses that drive 21/6 are... the diesels that drive up and down california are the reason, even the school buses have more of an impact than we do, but noooo... lets exempt ALL city and gov. vehicles and tax the hell out of the poor citizens...

3 years ago i tagged my 71gmc for 80 OTD
2 years ago i tagged my 72 chevelle for 100
1 year ago next month i paid 110.

at this rate, im going to register my truck out of state, have an out of state licensice and screw our government....if i cant get an "historical vehicle what ever what ever..."

why do u think people these days shop on craigslist and not the local store? BECAUSE CRAIGSLIST DOSE NOT HAVE A 9% TAX!!!!

oh.. one more thing, i pay extra to keep my blue plates, if i had black plates, haha ohhhhh, im a bad person and i should pay more.
Closed Thread