The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Farmstore34

Question Doesn't turn!

Hey all,
My son has a 1972 K20 pickup with power steering, 6" lift, and a later model 12 bolt front axle. The truck turns to the left fine but hardly turns to the right. I can't see any big problem in the steering linkage, and it looks like the pitman arm only fits on the steering box one way. This is a real pain (and safety issue) when we drive it. Any ideas what we should look for?

Thanks!
Colby.
Farmstore34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Doesn't turn!

First thing is to jack the front end and place it on stands. Test the steering this way to see if it acts the same way or if there is any difference in the effort to turn to the right.

This is just to eliminate any possibility you may have missed something in the linkage. But, from your description, I'd guess the gearbox has a problem. If it was the pump it would fail in both directions.

It's something I wouldn't take a chance with and I'd start looking for a replacement. I had one on another vehicle that would lock up every now and then. Now that's scary... And they're not the easiest part to tackle if you're not familiar with them.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Did you/he install a drop pitman arm to compensate for the 6" lift?

Last edited by sdailey; 02-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.
sdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
hayhauler71

Make sure you count the turns left to right so you get the pitman arm centered.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdailey View Post
Did you/he install a drop pitman arm to compensate for the 6" lift?
Agreed!! He most likely did not and that is where he is looking his steering. The linkage going from the pitman arm to the axle should be level. If its at an extreme angle you will loose your steering one way as well as you will bet alot of bump steer. You may also want to look into crossover steering. Not sure what front end he has but I dont think GM made a 12 bolt front end. Most likely a 10blt or a dana 44. Both of whick i think they make crossover kits for. sterring will me 100x better after the conversion also. Good luck and keep us posted.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmstore34 View Post
Hey all,
My son has a 1972 K20 pickup with power steering, 6" lift, and a later model 12 bolt front axle. The truck turns to the left fine but hardly turns to the right.
First, there is no such thing as a 12 bolt front axle. If "later model" just means newer than the truck, it could be several things. Most likely a GM corporate 10 bolt, a Dana 44, or even a Dana 60.
Turning to the left and not to the right is almost certainly from not addressing the steering linkage when the lift was installed. For 6" of lift a raised steering arm is an absolute minimum, and adding an off-set drag link will make centering the steering wheel easier too. This will get your turning radius back to where it should be.

Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 02-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Okay, I reread the original post and I have to admit I misread "The truck turns to the left fine but hardly turns to the right." My dislexic brain wasn't completely awake and I read it as "hard to turn to the right."

So, I take back the gearbox suggestion but the jacking up the front to analyze the situation is still a good idea. You can see where the limitation is and what you may need to do to correct it...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
nbrfd007

Did it ever turn right? I had a longhorn that would only turn to the left easy, the right was hard to turn. I pulled the old powersteering fluid old and replaced it with Lucas Powersteering treatment, after about 15 minutes it was steering good, never anymore problems.
nbrfd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Farmstore34

Wow thanks everybody! First, the truck already had the lift on it when we bought it ( one of the attractions to the truck for my 18 yr old kid ) and I was suspicious of the angle of the drag link. It does not appear to have a dropped pitman or raised steering arm ( when compared to my stock '72 K20 ). Second, I did mean a 10 bolt front axle, not 12. The steering has not changed since we have owned it. I tried pulling the pitman arm and centering the steering shaft but the shaft and pitman only fit together in one position. Anyone have a source for an inexpensive dropped pitman arm and offset draglink?

Thanks for all your help,
Colby.

Last edited by Farmstore34; 02-18-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Farmstore34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
monte0185

Their are a couple venders on the board that im sure will chime in but in the meantime the only place I can think of that carries them would be like 4-wheel parts if you have one close to you.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote