The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
epashhans

Finding history of vehicle...?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to attain public records or such about vehicles and previous owners, where they were bought, etc. I was just up at the DMV getting some stuff licensed and a lady I know up there said she can run VIN's for me to tell me the number of previous owners, but thats it. And she doesn't know how far back it goes. I would love to know where my truck was originally bought, maybe by who, and how many owners it has had since then. Mainly out of curiosity. Anyone done this or know of any resources I can hit up?? I have a feeling I am probably s.o.l. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
driller35

Re: Finding history of vehicle...?

I do not know if this will work for USA vehicles but for us here in Canada u can find out from

www.vintagevehicleservices.com and a phone number 1-905-440-7636, let them know first hand your vehicle is from the states and see if they can help

for my vehicle i found out from the VIN that it was

made in Oshawa,ON
the dealer, originally sold in Quebec and the number produced for sale within Canada with the same model # is 52 (North America production around 6900)
production date was Oct 21 1971 and shipping date was Oct 25 1971, it also goes into all the installed options were for that vehicle

Hope that helps

70 Chev CST, 350 auto, PS, PB, AC, tach
driller35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

you are lucky that your DMV will give you the info they said they will. That kind of info is getting harder and harder to get in most states these days.
Good luck with your search.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
bigblockorange

In Pennsylvania we can go to the DMV "Penn dot" and find all previous owners for $5 per owner back to 1972. All of our records preceding that were destroyed in the 1972 flood complements of hurricane Agnes. This information is covered under our states freedom of information act defined as "Public Record" and is therefore open to the public "small fee applies". Once you have the name of the previous owner you can look them up. BBO
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller35 View Post
www.vintagevehicleservices.com and a phone number 1-905-440-7636, let them know first hand your vehicle is from the states and see if they can help
Thanks. I looked at their website and it sounds like only stuff after 77 can be looked up in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
you are lucky that your DMV will give you the info they said they will. That kind of info is getting harder and harder to get in most states these days.
Good luck with your search.
I know. I was waiting for quite a while so started some chit chat and she said to just bring her the numbers and she would give me what she could...she said no promises. So I will probably take her up on it and see what I can find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockorange View Post
In Pennsylvania we can go to the DMV "Penn dot" and find all previous owners for $5 per owner back to 1972. All of our records preceding that were destroyed in the 1972 flood complements of hurricane Agnes. This information is covered under our states freedom of information act defined as "Public Record" and is therefore open to the public "small fee applies". Once you have the name of the previous owner you can look them up. BBO
I figured there must be some kind of public record deal. I wouldn't even know who to ask though. So, for $5 you get all the previous owners? That would be a deal!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
70cst

Hey...I just had a brain spasm. Would Car Fax be of any help? I'm guessing they don't go back that far.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Hey...I just had a brain spasm. Would Car Fax be of any help? I'm guessing they don't go back that far.
I was thinking that as well, but haven't looked into it. That would just be too easy if so!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
I was thinking that as well, but haven't looked into it. That would just be too easy if so!
I don't believe they do. Somebody on the FSC boards had a Carfax one month trial and did a bunch of VINs. I ran both my 72 and the VIN that's on my shortbox and he said they were too short. Apparently sometime after 72 they switched to longer VIN numbers and Carfax thinks they are incorrect since it is the shorter number. Apparently it won't let you input older ones.

Carfax also doesn't list names. It will list towns, however, and how many times it has changed hands, along with some mainentance records, and the dates.

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

I tried CARFAX and for my '67 it wouldn't take my VIN number since the number of digits is only 12 (13 in Canada). Modern VINs are 17 digits.

I'm going to try this GM vintage service.

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Keith Seymore

Guys - the GM of Canada service only documents how the vehicle was produced by GM, and what the original dealership was.

It will not list a series of previous owners prior to when you bought the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
Thanks. I looked at their website and it sounds like only stuff after 77 can be looked up in the US.
My understanding is that they could only research vehicles either built or produced for sale in Canada. Can they do some US stuff now?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-19-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
mrein3

They probably don't do it any more but when I got my truck in 1994 the state of Wyoming gave my buddy photocopies of all the titles my truck had. My truck was a mutt. 1971 chassis and 1970 cab. In WY the put the K VIN number on the title because they understand trucks out there and clearly my truck is a 4x4. However here in MN, the state where nothing is allowed, they balked because the C VIN number didn't match the title. So I got all that paper from WY, went to a MN DMV inspector, had it all inspected, waited for them to run both C and K VINs to check for stolen, then finally got a legal, MN title for it.

Long story short the WY DMV lady was really nice and provided my friend all that information. Some of the titles even had "Deceased" written in pen next to the person's name. I don't think any of our fine public servants here in the state where nothing is allowed would go to the trouble.

Oh and the WY titles have stuff like date of sale, where the person lived at the time, etc. Sounds like the stuff you are looking for.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
They probably don't do it any more but when I got my truck in 1994 the state of Wyoming gave my buddy photocopies of all the titles my truck had. My truck was a mutt. 1971 chassis and 1970 cab. In WY the put the K VIN number on the title because they understand trucks out there and clearly my truck is a 4x4. However here in MN, the state where nothing is allowed, they balked because the C VIN number didn't match the title. So I got all that paper from WY, went to a MN DMV inspector, had it all inspected, waited for them to run both C and K VINs to check for stolen, then finally got a legal, MN title for it.

Long story short the WY DMV lady was really nice and provided my friend all that information. Some of the titles even had "Deceased" written in pen next to the person's name. I don't think any of our fine public servants here in the state where nothing is allowed would go to the trouble.

Oh and the WY titles have stuff like date of sale, where the person lived at the time, etc. Sounds like the stuff you are looking for.

Wow, that would be awesome if I could get all that. That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I would be willing to pay for it even. Not sure how that works anymore with privacy issues though. I will have to see when I go up to the DMV next week. In my old charger I found an old registration from a previous owner...I was thinking of giving him a call and asking him for more info...just never have.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
1968SWBBigBlock

I did a title search on my - Indiana was pretty straight forward - one owner, paid a small fee and signed paperwork stating that I was researching the vehicle and would not sell the information or contact the owner unless it was for research purposes.
B4 Indiana the truck was a Mississippi truck - they are a little tougher to deal with - they also charge 5 per copy of title - but you have to guess how many owners and supply a separate mailed in request and money each time - if you live their you can go in and play the game in person - I contacted the owner in Indy and he said he had some pictures and other stuff on my truck when it came up from Mississippi, but I had to send him some cash and he was not looking for 20 bucks for him to cough up the information.
His story was interesting - it was bought for the son of a monster truck owner, it came up as a baby blue truck with a super charged small block.
He drove it on the street for 2 years - blew it up and parked it. It sat around for about 7 years after that.
I googled the address on the Mississippi title - the street no longer exists in Jackson - I just need to find the next owner and keep going
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

If you look under the seat,in the springs, the build papers might still be there. I found mine was an original Bozeman truck sent to Don Norm Chevy in 1971, The same address as the old Ressler chevy building on main street. I would like to know if the truck has ever lived outside of Bozeman though. That would be cool to know.

Last edited by MT71c-10; 02-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
MT71c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

Double post.

Last edited by MT71c-10; 02-20-2010 at 04:03 PM.
MT71c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote