The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Keep the really nice C20 suspension or clean up the C10?
C20 to C10 drop spindles are the way to go 1 33.33%
C10 will be easier/cheaper in the long run 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
crakarjax

C20 to C10 drop spindles or entire C10 frontend?

I have a real dilemma here.

I have a C10 front suspension with all new (uninstalled) ball joints, rod ends, A-Arm shafts, etc.. I also have the stock frontend on my C20.

So here's the problem: I crawled under the two trucks and the C20 looks just amazing. The frame still has the original paint on it, the crossmember is not caked with grime AT ALL, the A-Arms look really clean. The only real concern that I have is the steering stabilizer with lines going into it from the PS pump, but I'm thinking I can probably just nix the whole stabilizer setup.
The C10 frontend is caked with crap but I'm sure the crossmember and control arms are structurally alright.

So what would you do? I feel like it would be a waste to junk such a nicely aged setup, but at the same time the drop spindles cost more. Do C-20 suspension/steering parts cost more in general?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: C20 to C10 drop spindles or entire C10 frontend?

Lets assume that your 68 has never been rebuilt. Those parts are 42 years old right now. Unless they have been sitting on a shelf out of the weather, I'm not much on 42 year old parts.

Since you have the parts to rebuild the C-10 suspension, why not clean it up and slide it in all fresh and NEW...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
The only real concern that I have is the steering stabilizer with lines going into it from the PS pump, but I'm thinking I can probably just nix the whole stabilizer setup.
That is not a "stabilizer", it is the "power assist"cylinder. That was an early form of power steering. The hydraulic ram helped to push the linkage in the direction of your in-put.
A true "stabilizer" is just a "shock absorber" that has an equally balanced push/pull rate.

You cannot "just nix" the cylinder w/o changing the steering box too. A power steering system is much harder to steer when the power is gone. The "power assist" is not as bad, but it would still be difficult to drive that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That is not a "stabilizer", it is the "power assist"cylinder. That was an early form of power steering. The hydraulic ram helped to push the linkage in the direction of your in-put.
A true "stabilizer" is just a "shock absorber" that has an equally balanced push/pull rate.

You cannot "just nix" the cylinder w/o changing the steering box too. A power steering system is much harder to steer when the power is gone. The "power assist" is not as bad, but it would still be difficult to drive that way.
Awesome, I was hoping that someone would chime in on this. Was that power-assist system standard on '68s, and is it something that I should save/sell instead of junking? I have never seen such a setup nor come across parts for one. I'll probably just use the power steering setup from my '72, although the gearbox looks larger on the '72. Hopefully it will bolt right up.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Tony@AirRideTech

This is easy....... are building a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 truck? You will get a much better selection of wheels with a 5 lug circle than you will with a 6 or 8 lug circle. If it were me and I were building a driver that was not going to be 3/4 ton tow pig... I would build it with the 1/2 ton components because they are there and they are new and you get a better selection of wheels with a 5x5
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech View Post
This is easy....... are building a 3/4 ton truck or a 1/2 truck? You will get a much better selection of wheels with a 5 lug circle than you will with a 6 or 8 lug circle. If it were me and I were building a driver that was not going to be 3/4 ton tow pig... I would build it with the 1/2 ton components because they are there and they are new and you get a better selection of wheels with a 5x5
I'll switch to 5x5 via spindles either way, and I would just buy new components for the C20 suspension anyway, and re-sell my C10 parts or return them. I'm not particularly looking for 3/4 capacity.