The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
68chevyK20

Differential Questions

Im thinking about new differentials in my 68 k20 and i am interested in limited slip or lockers. I have heard quite a bit of bad things about lockers but i have never had anything with one. Are they really that bad?
68chevyK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
doug70

Re: Differential Questions

lockers are cheaper, but they tend to slip the inside tire when turning. They get into a bind. You would need to go to a clutch type limited slip to avoid that. If your truck is offroad only, locker is fine.

Doug
67 Stepside project
71 RS Camaro 90% done
71 BB Corvette 50% complete
78 K5 project
doug70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

As crazy as it sounds, it depends upon what transmission you have. Detroit Lockers are more "clunky" or "twitchy" with a manual than they are with an automatic. This has to do with the "load" on the differential. When you push in the clutch of a manual, the drivline "unloads" which will allow a Locker to unlock. How much you feel this depends somewhat upon the truck. Short beds, smaller tires and less weight make it more noticable.
It is "managable" but you do have to know it's there and drive accordingly.
Never put one in the front, they are waaay to twitchy for that. A clutch type or gear type differential are better for that.
Big tires and pretty much any kind of positraction device are hard on front axles though. Be prepared to deal with that ($). It is usually the short side (passenger) axle that can't take it. There are stronger, aftermarket, axles available for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
68chevyK20

Well the truck is going to be a daily driver and something that is isnt too bad offroad. I know i can find a limited slip or a locker for the front end but where can i find one for the eaton?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Eaton makes the original Posi-traction diff that came in GM vehicles...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevyK20 View Post
Well the truck is going to be a daily driver and something that is isnt too bad offroad. I know i can find a limited slip or a locker for the front end but where can i find one for the eaton?
As far as I know, the only thing available for the Eaton rear is a Detroit Locker, unfortunately you are probably looking at "used". That is one of the downfalls of that particular rear end, parts availibility. Brake parts and bearing are not too bad, but differentials are a different matter and gear ratios are ,imited.
Again......No Lockers in the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
desertrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Again......No Lockers in the front
I agree, unless you plan on doing some extreme wheeling .

I had lockers front and rear in a cj8 and the front lockers (detroit) where a pain even when out wheeling, but than again I was able to climb some cool stuff and it wasn't my daily driver.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
pumpkin

I run a detroit locker in my twd 72 c20 and my 72 Blazer. Bothe have eaton ho72's. They work great on the street. The only time they lock is if one tire trys to spin faster than the other. The way they work is in a corner the outside tire overspins the inside tire that is doing the driving, so in a corner the truck actualy slows down a bit. I would never think about a posi, if a locker was available. If you have an eaton diff, the 14 bolt detroits bolt right in, and you just use the 14 bolt axles in the eaton. If your after the best tracktion with predictability the locker is the only way to go. A posi is just a comprimise between open and detroit, and in a situation when you realy need the traction the posi wont work.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
wildwilly4x4

My cucv, my blazer, and my willys jeep all run 14 bolt rears with a detroit in them. The jeep is noticable that it has a locker, the blazer, you can feel it, and in the cucv I dont notice it at all....except when offroad....I like the true lockers myself, but it may depend on your driving habits. If you are on icey roads alot, it may be better to have a selectable locker, since an open diff performs better than any at keeping you going straight on slick roads.
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote