The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Aaron Burr

Random 62' C20 questions

Bought a thermostat gauge switch deali and some 12 gauge wire. I know I have to remove the plug between cylinder 1 and 3 to stick the gauge in the hole to get in the water jacket.

Question the first. Will removing the plug cause a bunch of fluid to drain out?

2nd question. Do I just wrap the wire around the top and jam the other end into the relay box by the fan?

I know it's supposed to go in the 86 slot. So I guess I need an end piece or something. But it's the wrapping of the wire around the top of the thermostat that's buggin' me. It doesn't seem right.

Oh, the part looks like this.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Aaron Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
cliffy

Re: Random 62' C20 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Burr View Post
Bought a thermostat gauge switch deali and some 12 gauge wire. I know I have to remove the plug between cylinder 1 and 3 to stick the gauge in the hole to get in the water jacket.

Question the first. Will removing the plug cause a bunch of fluid to drain out?

2nd question. Do I just wrap the wire around the top and jam the other end into the relay box by the fan?

I know it's supposed to go in the 86 slot. So I guess I need a end piece or something. But it's the wrapping of the wire around the top of the thermostat that's buggin' me. It doesn't seem right.

Oh, the part looks like this.

there is a proper wire connector for that, slips over the head sideways.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Aaron Burr

Thanks. I guess that's the little black plastic piece in the lower right hand corner of the pic. I thought it was for the relay box.

Is there a special tool needed to remove the plug from the block? It has a square hole in it, all I could think of was using a ratchet extender.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Aaron Burr

Yup. Ratchet extender. I just need the right size...and a female spade connector for the relay box. Who knew?

After I do that tomorrow, and assuming the fan works, I figured I'd move on into the speedometer. Mine doesn't work since I had the 700R4 put in. I don't feel like paying a ton of money to have someone else hook it up so I was wondering if anybody here had installed one.

Ah. One last question concerning the thermostat. Anyone have a good idea how to route the electrical line?

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

So this sending temp unit you have, you're using it to control an electric fan? Is it the original style for your truck or is it designed to control a fan?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
Aaron Burr

Oh jeeze... I'm a bike guy so bear with me.

The fan is electric. It worked until I got the 700R4 shoved in there. I added a triple cluster gauge, water, amps and oil because I didn't think relying on the "idiot lights" was the way to go for an older truck. I had someone else do the install because I was busy moving to another state and didn't think it would be a big deal.

Apparently sticking the ambient bulb into the top of the block necessitated removing the regular sensor that was hooked up. I just figured buying a thermostat switch and sticking it into the appropriate plug and running a wire to the relay box by the fan would work.

I'm getting the sense this may not work the way I think it should.

Oh, and the part is from NAPA. They looked up the appropriate part for my make and model so I'm assuming it'll kick in at 185.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-22-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Aaron Burr

Hmm. Turns out I bought some tools I didn't need, couldn't remove the part I wanted to and haven't finished the repair I was planning on. Why...this is just like working on a motorcycle!!!

It starts with the plug between cylinder 1 and 3.

It's too small for a 1/2 ratchet extender and a 3/8th has some play. It doesn't matter because that sum b!tch is like super glued in there or something.

Next, the relay box by the fan.

Upon disconnection, it doesn't look likely I'll be sticking any female spade couplings in there.

That's O.K. There's always the relay box under the dash.

Hmmm. No numbers on it but at least it has an empty slot.

Well, I'm stumped. I may have to pay some guy to blow the plug out...and then I'll just start randomly connecting stuff until something works...or explodes...at this point I can go either way on this one.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-22-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Get an old 3/8 extension and stick it into the plug and whack it with your impact wrench. I've never found one yet that wouldn't come out. The 3/8 extension will fit tight enough to remove it.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Aaron Burr

Wait...I get to hammer on stuff? FINALLY!!!

I'll give it a whack tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I meant hammer on it with your impact wrench.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Aaron Burr

As long as I get to whack something.

I went to the store this evening and the little green turn signal light stayed on. Signals worked fine. Only when the truck warmed up did the light go off.

So yeah, I'm whacking on it manana. It's just asking for it.

No, really. I tried squeezing the impact wrench in there and it wont fit...stupid headers..

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-22-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Aaron Burr

So I put a piece of pipe over the end of the 3/8 driver to gain some leverage. Pulled and felt it give. Took the extender off and turned the 3/8 by hand, felt it give some more, sweet.

Yup. Now the plug hole is kinda stripped out. Man, I kick ass. On the plus side, maybe now the 1/2 ratchet extender will fit in there.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Aaron Burr

Well it's not all sour apples and sandy lollipops. I think the reason my turn indicator light stays lit is because the running light on the right side is either going out or the wiring is bad/loose/shorting out.

In the WTF column, I fired up the C20 after a pit stop and heard a real brief CHAW! noise as it turned over. Starter?

Oh, and I'z taking the engine over to a fellow who used to work on these things when they first came out so I'll let him tackle the stripped out plug.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-23-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Aaron Burr

Sweet mother of Louie Chevrolet! Look what I found clear over on the other side of the engine!

Pop that cap off and...

Buh? Let's look in the cap.

Hmmm. Looks like the cap has a little male unit that goes in the top of the temperature dealie. I'z gots the wrong part. (See top of thread)

Anybody know what the right part is for this job?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Aaron Burr

So I called up the fellow who installed the 700R4. http://www.sonomacountystreetrodz.com/

He looked at this thread and told me I need a late model GMC thermostat dealie that has the plastic end so it couples right up.

Back to NAPA...which for me is about a 30 mile drive one way.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 02-24-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Aaron Burr

And a waste of time. I have to take the part off for him to order the right one. Also, I may have to do some major rewiring all around simply to find out where everything goes. It's half good, half rats nest, which is why I missed the temperature dealie in the first place.

Oy. As a new guy I have a request for all you guys building and reselling....KEEP NOTES...so the next guy will have more of a clue. None of my guides seem to be relevant to this half stock half custom job.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Aaron Burr

Oh, by the way Aaron. When you take the temperature switch dealie out...yes, a whole bunch of coolant will indeed come flying out. Even if you partially drain the radiator.

The good news is the part is in San Diego and will most likely show up some time next week.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
LILRED66
Account Suspended

One more good reason to carefully inspect a moderate or highly customized truck. Unfortunately, it is "Buyer Beware", not seller beware, so make sure you know what you are buying before purchasing or, at least, know what it takes in time and money to get it right.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
Aaron Burr

Oh when I first saw it I was in love, and anybody who's been in love knows what a huge pain in the butt that's all about.

But yeah, when I popped the hood for the first time it was pretty much "what the fug?" and "Hmmm. that don't look right."

So yeah, I knew this was going to take some work but man oh man....the guy before me should have checked out the "I'm drunk" thread before doing any work on this truck.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 03-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #20
Aaron Burr

O.K. got the part...after getting the wrong one from NAPA. Thanks NAPA! But I still have no fan operation. Soooo. It must be a bad wire, or bad connection in the relay box. So now I need a pigtail sensor. Hopefully one that comes with some wire.

After that I'll replace the relay box.

Good thing I'm so even tempered.

Ha. Ha. Ha.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
Aaron Burr

I'm about ready to waste good money and pay someone to fix this thing.

Replaced the temperature gauge dealie. Replaced the shroud connector. Replaced the wire.

Still no fan.

It works when I touch it with that pointy screwdriver thing with the light bulb in it but that's it.

WTF!?!?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
daxloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Burr View Post
That's O.K. There's always the relay box under the dash.

---------------------------------------------

As long as I get to whack something.

I went to the store this evening and the little green turn signal light stayed on. Signals worked fine. Only when the truck warmed up did the light go off.

So yeah, I'm whacking on it manana. It's just asking for it.

No, really. I tried squeezing the impact wrench in there and it wont fit...stupid headers..

Ummm. sounds like one of the wires may have gotten hooked up to the wrong thing. Somehow "the little green turn signal light" got connected to the temp sender. Hence the light going out when the truck warmed up. I dont know fro shure or how but you may want to look into that.
daxloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Aaron Burr

Thanks Mr. Loves. However, I done fixed that problem. It was a couple of loose connections. (I live way out in the boonies where there are a lot of washboard roads)

Now I'm all about getting the fan to work.

I hate to admit it, but I may simply bypass the whole sensing unit and hook the fan up to a manual switch.

It just bugs me because the sensor should work. No, really. It's all hooked up with brand new junk and everything.

It just doesn't go on.

Last edited by Aaron Burr; 03-13-2010 at 10:25 PM.