The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
cheap67

Trouble with tires rubbing

I was hoping for some help from you guys. I installed 2 1/2" drop spindles and 3" drop springs on my 67' gmc. I did this about 2 months ago, now I know this is going to sound stupid but I didn't have trouble with the front tires rubbing until the days when it gets above 50 degrees. I can drive to work in the morning at 30 degrees and have no problems but in the evening on the drive home if its over 50 degrees any little dip in the road the tires rub the the inner fenders. How I know there is not a lot of room under there because I am running 255/35/20 and I don't want to change rims and tires. But with spring around the corner I have to do something. So has anyone had an issue like this and or any suggestions. Thanks in advanced for any help.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Trouble with tires rubbing

Are you running stock rims?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 02-21-2010 at 10:31 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap67 View Post
I was hoping for some help from you guys. I installed 2 1/2" drop spindles and 3" drop springs on my 67' gmc. I did this about 2 months ago, now I know this is going to sound stupid but I didn't have trouble with the front tires rubbing until the days when it gets above 50 degrees. I can drive to work in the morning at 30 degrees and have no problems but in the evening on the drive home if its over 50 degrees any little dip in the road the tires rub the the inner fenders. How I know there is not a lot of room under there because I am running 255/35/20 and I don't want to change rims and tires. But with spring around the corner I have to do something. So has anyone had an issue like this and or any suggestions. Thanks in advanced for any help.
Do you eat a big lunch at work? (jk) That is odd. Could they be rubbing on a shock? Loose or worn ball joint? Don't know what to make of the temp difference.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 02-21-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

My first guesses would be, one, the cold is making the fluid in the shock thicker, in result making the shocks stiffer and not allowing the suspension to move as much. When it warms up, the fluid becomes thiner and hence, more movement.

Second (and unlikely) might be the tires are shrinking slightly due to the cold. As it warms up, they expand a little. Combine this with my above idea and that could make the difference.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
my first guesses would be, one, the cold is making the fluid in the shock thicker, in result making the shocks stiffer and not allowing the suspension to move as much. When it warms up, the fluid becomes thiner and hence, more movement.

Second (and unlikely) might be the tires are shrinking slightly due to the cold. As it warms up, they expand a little. Combine this with my above idea and that could make the difference.
+1
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

or the metal of the springs are less "stiff" due to thermal contraction. in short, the spring will "spring" more in warmer temps

heat expands, cold contracts.....

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Lots of good ideas here but he's running 20 in wheels. With 255/35/20's that gives a total diameter of 27 inches. Way too tall for that Jimmy front fenderwell with 2.5 in drop spindles. When the tires get hot and expand, they're probably rubbing on the inside of the top of the well. Easy way to find out is pull a wheel and find where it's rubbing. If it's the wheel well, most guys cut the fenderwells to clear but that really sux when you drive on a wet road. That well is rolled down on the inside to make it easier to work on the engine. Lots of ways to make more room and still keep a well liner.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

I would try KYB Gas-adjust shocks if yours are worn out.
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
cheap67

Thanks guys, all the suggestion will help. I feel sure it is in the spring or shock just not sure which one, I do know that the ride is alot softer when it warms up. I just wanted to know if anyone else hadthis issue. I don't want to cut inner fender well because I love the way these trucks look.