The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

C-30 makeover continues

Ever since I saw the cover of the recent LMC Truck catalogue I wanted that "look" for the front end of my recently acquired '85' C-30.

Finally the parts arrived at work today and tonight, unpacked the box, inspected the parts and began the process that should have these installed by the week-end. (darn day job gets in the way and the weather has the shop a bit cold too)

Anyway, I did get this much done tonight on this phase of my "C-30 Makeover":

In prepping for this:

Comparisons:

After this the clearance lights seals are cracked and will probably update them. Not much more after that on the cab exterior. Interior got scrubbed over the week-end and did find a spring that now closes the ashtray! (thanks for this database of information here!)

Little by little this truck is coming together as I want to see it. Runs and drives great! Now if I can just find a...darn, does the list ever end?

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: C-30 makeover continues

LOL Looks great that will be a nice mod.... id just replace the seals and lenses on the stock cab lights... the others never look as good on there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Looks good so far. im curious on about the headlights. gotta let us know how they do in general.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
spinem
haha, ford guys...

spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
RuralRoute C-30

Thanks, and yes, there will be a review on this front end makeover and all the parts and assembly when I get done plus or minus. So far I have no complaints with what came out of the box.

Considering I got this truck only ten days ago...

it is taking shape!

After quickly fixing minor stuff/exhaust leak, and then last week-end with the major tune-up and shocks, new front tires and a lot of elbow grease this front makeover and some interior work/finding a working radio, nicer dash, boot around the pto controls etc., with probably a 2x12 stock rail around the flatbed should just about complete this truck for awhile...maybe. Actually as a project it has gone better than expected dollar wise.

Appreciate all the good experience around here!

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 02-23-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
manimal

You've got some sharp trucks there. What size tires are you running?
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
RuralRoute C-30

Both the 79 & 85 c-30's have: 235/85/16 on 8 lug rims.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
justpball

Super nice rigs!

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Dooley Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Both the 79 & 85 c-30's have: 235/85/16 on 8 lug rims.

Thanks,
Mark
Do you have a favorite brand in that size? I just picked up 2 BFG Commercial T/A's for my fronts. Gonna let the 4 in the back go a while longer. Thinking I'll go with the BFG Commercial Traction T/A's back there.
Dooley Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

The truck is coming along well. Good work! I look forward to seeing the updates when you get them on.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I've considered putting those headlights on mine. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think of them.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
RuralRoute C-30

Finally got some time in the shop! I decided in the beginning to take pictures of this since I know for myself when I see even what should be the simple projects here in pictures it helps a lot. So bear with me on this as this grill and light/bezel install will be in more than one post.

(ignore the red reflection in the pics, still had one of those red 'box' sides behind me)

If nothing else, I know how much it would have helped to know what I know now before I did this!

Anyway, since I had already gutted the old grill and cleaned the metal headlight holders, here are the headlights and parking lights in:
I did use new sheet metal screws for the headlight trim and discarded those star headed screws that originally held the bezels in place. Phillip head stainless used for the bezels. They are #8-1 1/4" L.

Set the bevels in loose, do not install at this time, to check for fit and yes there was some adjustments required.

And for the money you would think these two inserts would be included! They are not. Remove from your old bezel and reuse.

One thing that could be better, at least in my opinion, is if the holes on the parking lights were slotted somewhat to allow for a better adjustment to the bevels. I thought about it but didn't this time. I probably will when I go back at a later time when it is warmer just to fine tune the install. I am also considering shimming them out by about 2 flat washers to bring the lense 'out' a bit and forward into the bezel. (just a detail to ponder) I think it would look better.

Also note that the two adjuster screws for aiming the headlights are attached to 2 plastic inserts behind the metal headlight holder! These can be fragile/brittle (from age) and CAN break. They are not a stocking item at the dealer but still can be ordered. I had to mend one today and it is a pain. Just something to be aware of and to avoid applying any back pressure on that metal holder. I know that now!

And then there is the grill:
Set in loose and the easiest way to get centered is line up that top screw in first and loosely tighten:

Don't hard tighten anything yet.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Looks Good!!
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
RuralRoute C-30

Now for the grill. I am impressed by the quality of the billet. Yet in terms of installation, LMC would do well to recheck a few fitment issues as far as I am concerned. There were a couple of 'L' brackets included and I think I figured those out, but without any instructions of any kind it was their design based on my reality. Details in the pics:

Ok, I added the clips that attach at each screw hole and got that first top screw in to center it:

With it essentially just hanging there I thought it best to loose fit the bezels to check fitment and if the grill was actually centered:

Here you can see the passenger side has too much clearance and the driver's side has too little. Yet the grill is fastened to the center hole of the truck and the center bracket hole of the grill. A 5 minute stare began...

On the bottom of the grill are two welded brackets on each end. The driver's side fit in the existing hole from the old grill:

The passenger side...here is what I saw:

No included parts dealt with this issue.

Did I mention there are no tech drawings or instructions? (maybe it is me, but a drawing would at least have helped...) Am I missing something here?

Clearly the lower passenger corner had to be attached somehow. So I marked the hole location on the bracket to the truck and drilled right next to the hole it should have attached to and inserted a screw and tightened.

This is after I loosened the other lower corner and lightly tapped the lower corner of the grill's driver side with a rubber mallet to "adjust" the grill to align with the bevels so they would fit. It appeared as though the grill was twisted to one side...it was but not enough to reach that passenger side oem mounting hole...it ain't twisted now! (I intend to go back in warmer weather and slot these lower holes for a fine tuning of the clearances on the bevels.)

Here I inserted the bevels again to check for fit and started tightening it all up...

...and the final product I really do like! When it is warmer I will return to this as mentioned and make some detailed adjustments, but for now, and I need this truck functioning, it looks great to me and will see how the lights do at night sometime soon. Despite the problems I am glad for the refreshed front end. It is how I wanted it to be.

Before:

After:

Yet it is my opinion on this product that for the money spent LMC needs to pay attention by inserting some drawings and/or instructions. And what is with that passenger side lower bracket not aligning to anything by 1/2"... LMC?

Oh well, this is why we have tools and imagination! Hope this helps anyone else venturing into similar territory. I do like the final product overall and in terms of quality but LMC needs to work on design/install details I had to face so others don't have to...my opinion only of course!

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 02-27-2010 at 09:08 PM.