The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
Benrs86

tilt front end question

hey, i was thinkin about my pickup and im kind of wanting a different style of hood. i thought about a tilt forward hood but that is somewhat common, and a tilt forward frontend is pretty much out of the question becasue my pickup is already painted. i was thinking about making the grill/hood tilt forward as one unit. that way its something different and i wouldnt have to cut through my new paint anwhere. i just watned to know what you guys thought. my dad thinks it is stupid, so does my mom, but my friends think it would be cool. just wanting opinions. thanks, Ben
Attached Images

3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
70cst

Benrs86

I think your truck looks fine the way it is. If I had your truck I might make mechanical improvements or had a few options but body wise I would keep it as close to stock as possible. Also if you decide to sell it someday...Your truck will have better value.
Just My Opinion.
The best answer : Its your truck and do what pleases you. Its your money, blood, sweat, and tears.
Regards,
70cst
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree, I'd leave it alone. Your truck looks way to sweet. Blus, as it is your daily driver, that would be alot of time down fabbing stugg that isn't needed.
I also add the same disclaimer; Its your truck and do what pleases you. Its your money, blood, sweat, and tears
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:28 AM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I usually say yes to modifying something........but your truck is too pretty to mess with! crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:48 AM   #5
Benrs86

hey guys, thanks for the replies and the compliments. the thing is i am really wanting to do something different, my pickup is kind of ordinary. so lets pretend its a different pickup and i made this grill hood tilt thing. would that be stupid or not? im not 100% sure if im gonna do it because i dont want a modification that people will say that is stupid to, but i would probably rather have that and be different rather than the regular and be overlooked? thanks for the opinions and please give me some more! thanks, Ben

maybe somebody has done this and has a pic or maybe there is a crazily skilled photo-shopper out there?
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Old 02-02-2003, 02:15 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If your truck is normal...I need to move to your neighborhood.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #7
Benrs86

lol longhorn, well i guess its a long wide box with a smallblock chevy. what else is new right. i am lookin for something different to do to it. something custom that you dont see much. the only problem is i have no money. so i dont know. still wanting opinions on if a tilt hood that the grill tilts with is stupid or not? thanks, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Old 02-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #8
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I think the tilt hood would look pretty cool. BUT, if it's a daily driver I agree with the others, I would leave it stock looking. I personally like the stock looking trucks at car shows better than the wild custom jobs. They kinda look like they are overcompensating for some kind of "short comming" in their life. Maybe lower it or add some not so common options that you won't see on every truck. The tilt hood thing would look good on a show truck, but not a daily driver. Not to mention, if you say you have no money, then save it for something else that can be done easier. Just my opinion. It's you truck though, do what you like. Make yourself happy and screw everyone else!

jmanz69
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I've put tilt frontends on 55 chevies, 57 chevies, a 60 Corvette, And a 60 chevy Convert. I have Always made them to tilt at the bumper brackets. That means fabricating mounts to fix the bumper bracket to the fenders also.
I have made the complete fender tilt, and done the cutting job so just the front portion of the fender goes up. I like the front portion only, but it's a heck of a lot more work to do it "Clean". But tilting the whole thing, means more then ONE set of hands so as not to scratch the paint. Even though 25 or so years ago, I did a 55, so that the complete front end tilted, and in tilting it, We made a "Slide" on the frame, You would Slide the front end forward far enough that the rear wouldn't "scrape" When going up. When it was in it's closed position, you couldn't tell it was a tilt.

IF, I were you, And At the point you are with paint, I would put in a Billett Grille, Lower it a couple of inches front and rear. or whatever you can think of to "change it a little" With little cost.

You have a very nice truck,
But I totally understand wanting to "Personalize" it.

Just think about it for awhile, until you come up with something.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:39 PM   #10
cableguy0

man that truck looks perfect dont hack the body. if u want to be different start savin ur money and build up a very healthy big block and tub just dont do that to the frontend. if it was my truck i would maybe lower it a little and put a rat under the hood.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #11
Benrs86

man thanks a lot. i love the advice. good points. the money thing im saving up for headers and exhaust/new bedcover/4 speed/powersteering/interior and on and on and on. i was thinking for the tilt that i have a welder and torches and steel and all so i thought i could do this using hardly any money. of course thats the plan it probably wouldnt work that way but i was just thinking about doing this while i save money for the huuuge list. my plan was to keep it looking stock untill you open the hood. but i dont know. the next few weekends are gonna be full with my dad's 66 dodge project, so that will give me some time to save money/think. thanks a lot for the advice!, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Old 02-02-2003, 11:42 PM   #12
greenhorn male

Thumbs up Just do it!

Hi Ben,

I, like you, have always liked to be different. It's a good thing I can't weld or I would be dangerous around my vehicles with it. I like your sense of imagination and that's coming from a 44 yr old.

This is what comes to my mind. Remember I am imagining this as I type and your going to have to investigate this yourself if it would work for you.

Ist, Remove your hood, hood latch, grill + hardware, and bumper and outer brackets and keep it in a safe place. Temporarily set aside fenders.

2nd, Buy a cheap hood, painted grill, and painted bumper at a wrecking yard.

3rd, Weld the hood, grill, and bumper together in the stock manner and reinforce the grill and hood so that they will be secure to the bumper without bending.

4th, Fabricate a hinge that will bolt the bumper to the frame at the stock bumper mount and use some kind of spring between the frames like on roll-up garage doors so they open with some tension and hold close under normal weight of the hood plus spring tension(your going to use your ingenuity for this).

5th, Lengthen headlight and signal light wiring and check for proper function and fit before installing original fenders.

6th, If everything works well for you, paint the hood, grill and bumper the same as the truck.

If this works, you have a custom front end when you want it and when you don't, just unbolt the hinge and install your original hood grill and bumper.

What do you think folks, will this work?

Luis :p