The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
crm318
Alright Alright Alright

Key lock cylinder is spinning

I got in my truck today and went to turn it on. The key turned and nothing happened (although a little tougher than usual). I noticed that the whole assembly was turning. I had to hold the back of the assembly to turn the key. I tried to turn the outter chrome ring and it would spin in both directions with out tightening or loosening. What do yall think is going on here?
GM Performance high rise intake,
Comp 268H .454/.454 218/218 110 LSA
Quadrajet carb, Flowtech headers, 2.25 40 series
HEI, Curve kit, TH 350, 3.07 gears
275/60/15s on 15x8 rallies
crm318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Key lock cylinder is spinning

The chrome bezel may be unscrewed from the switch or the threads may be stripped. The threads are very fine and it can be hard to get the bezel screwed on. Try pushing forward on the switch while screwing the bezel on. Be careful not to cross thread it.

If you don't have any luck with that you may have to remove the switch so you can check it out. Here are the instructions for removing the ignition cylinder so you can remove the switch.

Put your key into the ignition and turn to the accessory position.(67's and some 68's don't have an accessory position so just start in the off position) Straighten out one end of a big paper clip, insert it into the hole in the face of the lock and gently push in on it. Turn the key farther to the left and the lock cylinder pops right out. You should be able to take it apart after that.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
lks dcvn

Re: Key lock cylinder is spinning

- I had a truck that did that - I ended up pulling the cylinder and the bezel and found that the bezel wasn't holding the ignition tight to the dash - so it was spinning the whole ignition switch, cylinder, etc.

Pull it and take a look. You can start it with a screwdriver while you replace/examine the parts...
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote