The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
blazin

do i need crossover steering?....pros

i have a 72 blazer, 6 inch lift, its a street rig. do i need crossover steering? if so..what will it do for me.
blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: do i need crossover steering?....pros

Need...No, but you would like it.
It changes the "direction" of the movement of the steering arm. In stock form, the steering linkage moves from front to back in order to move the wheels left to right. The drag link is very short, so suspension travel has more effect on the steering wheel to tire relationship. You can have some pretty good bump-steer if the linkage is not aligned just right.

Crossover eliminates all of these issues. It is obviously not required, the original stuff is managible, there are millions of them out there.....but the more lift you add, the more benefit there is from converting. For 4", I wouldn't bother, especially for street only, but from 6" and above, it is worth the trouble/investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Need...No, but you would like it.
It changes the "direction" of the movement of the steering arm. In stock form, the steering linkage moves from front to back in order to move the wheels left to right. The drag link is very short, so suspension travel has more effect on the steering wheel to tire relationship. You can have some pretty good bump-steer if the linkage is not aligned just right.

Crossover eliminates all of these issues. It is obviously not required, the original stuff is managible, there are millions of them out there.....but the more lift you add, the more benefit there is from converting. For 4", I wouldn't bother, especially for street only, but from 6" and above, it is worth the trouble/investment.
thanx longhair.. is there kits that i can buy? or is it something i can find parts for?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Lots of companies sell kits. I'm currently considering a kit. Check out www.offroaddesign.com and www.ballisticfabrication.com along with a google search for lots of good choices.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I agree with 6" it`s better,not "needed" for normal uses.I have done others and I am lifting my truck 6" soon.I`ve never gone with a crossover set-up.Wanted to on my last truck,never got that far.I`ll lift this truck and leave the crossover for later.If I had the money I`d do it all at once because it`s what I know I want.I may never "need" it off road,at least rarely,but I just want this one with all the right stuff.My trucks with 6" handled/steered just fine on the road...amazingly well.You want all the steering and suspension tip-top shape for starters and adjusting/centering the steering is crucial or you`ll feel like you`re driving down the top of a log.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Burt4x4

What front axel do you have?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
blazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
What front axel do you have?
i have the dana 44. if i dont need crossover for road use.. im not sure i want to put it in right away.. too many other things. i'd like to find some bigger diffs with 4.56 or 4.11 gears in them with a posi. i sure wish money grew on trees
Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
blazin

im pretty sure its a dana 44.. isnt that what came stock on a 72 blazer?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
mod58

I would stick with the 44,I,m guessing a 12 bolt in the rear.That is a good set up for mainly steet and mild wheeling with 36's.Cross over Steering is great but like everyone else said,not needed for 6".I have it on my 86 with 14" lift and 44" boggers,goe's down the road like a dream!! JMO. Good Luck!!!!!!!
mod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Burt4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin View Post
im pretty sure its a dana 44.. isnt that what came stock on a 72 blazer?
Yup, I wheeled my D44 for 11-12yrs and it held up, sure I broke it from time to time (axel ujoints & hubs) but I'm not very light on the throttle
If you rebuild it, ball joints, wheelbearings, seals, tierod ends, etc..will improve the hadeling up front. I even installed an after market Sway bar at one point, with dissconnects for off road. Worked great! Kept the front from wandering while on uneven pavement and higher speeds.