The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

sleeper shell pics and do you think i should get one?

thinking about finding one, but dont know if it would look decent on a shortbed, always seen them on duallies and they looked fine. id like to make like a rear deck to put some subs in one so i can put one of those storage shelf system in behind my seat still, and to not have to cut out the back of my cab to have i really nice system with space. would also make it easier to make a flushfit tonnuea to clean it up a bit.

was hoping some of you guys had pics. i found one on cl that had like a 11" drop inside for like a tool tray, seems the best one to start with, but i know there are many styles of them, so please help me out.
knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: sleeper shell pics and do you think i should get one?

I'm thinking not so much...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
knightowl73

they dont look that great on shortbeds i know. i am just having trouble personalizing it and keeping it functional.

originally behind the seat i was reserving for my music, but it will be a while before i get a bedcover to hide a toolbox, but wanted something easy to get to from the rear gate withoutreally sacrificing any bed space. was thinking maybe dropping a small box in the rear floor, sticking up maybe 1" at most, and lockable

BUT the sleeper is way easier im thinking
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

You don't like the look of the "sleeper" and want a toolbox that is easy to access from the tailgate...you gave yourself the solution. A toolbox in the rear of the bed. Get one that sits low (under the rails) and enjoy your truck.

Having the box back there will of course limit the use of the bed and will change your weight ballance. But it accomplishes your goals and can always be moved to the front or taken out down the road if needs be. Plus when you do get a hard cover for the bed, you can keep the low profile box under it.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
knightowl73

yes in my dodge i had one of those toolboxes that are supposed togo over the side tucked across the front inside corner of the bed, but it requires you to go in the bed to open it and get to things. kinda wanted something like that sunken in the rear of the bed. i have seen the ones that sit on the wheel hump on the side, but think they are way too expensive. i really want to still be able to use to use the whole 6ft of the bed inside if possible. maybe i can make something that goes all the way across that doesnt stick up more than 6-8" i can deal with that.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Damien

I know a guy that has a topper on a lowered early '90s short bed that looks pretty slick. It is a nice fiberglass one and is painted to match the truck. There are some pretty nice designs now. They have come a long way from the old aluminum toppers.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
knightowl73

yea i know. i was hoping to find one that wasnt a hightop, but just had a duckbill or something on top on the very back. seemed to be a little shorter up top from the side view from front to back, kinda like a racerback cab extender with a 1-piece rear window and nothing on the sides. hell now that i think about it, that might be what it was. i have seen one of those somewhere before and it looked slick, but the only one tho.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
You don't like the look of the "sleeper" and want a toolbox that is easy to access from the tailgate...you gave yourself the solution. A toolbox in the rear of the bed. Get one that sits low (under the rails) and enjoy your truck.

Having the box back there will of course limit the use of the bed and will change your weight ballance. But it accomplishes your goals and can always be moved to the front or taken out down the road if needs be. Plus when you do get a hard cover for the bed, you can keep the low profile box under it.
Yep x2 on that
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
knightowl73

i dont think ill be getting a hard cover anytime soon too pricey,hard to remove by myself and too hard to make. If i were to get the sleeper the tools are locked inside but harder to get to, so no worries, and i still get a nice sounding system. but if i get a toolbox in the bed then it must lock and be accessable from the tailgate, whether open or closed, but then i loose the ability to put in the riding mower or 4wheeler with ease. I guess i might not get my cake and eat it too, but i was a fat kid and want it all cus im greedy