The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
1971ChevyTruck

Front coil spring help

I was going to start putting in my Dad's new coil springs. This is something I have never done before. Is there a thread on here with tips or maybe directions? Or does anyone have any tips?
1971ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: Front coil spring help

Put truck on stands, remove tire, support lower control arm, remove shock, separate lower balljoint from steering knuckle and lower jack that is supporting control arm. No spring compressor needed for this job. Align spring in upper seat and lower control arm and raise up jack and install balljoint nut. The truck should be aligned after job is finished.

Last edited by hayhauler71; 03-04-2010 at 11:02 AM.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Hubscrub
Cruzin

i would like to add i always run a chain or strap in the spring to keep it from flying out just to be safe

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
1971ChevyTruck

So besides for the shock, all I need to do is remove the tie rod end and the upper bolt to the spindle? I don't have to remove the calipers and everyhting else?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
epashhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
Put truck on stands, remove tire, support lower control arm, remove shock, separate lower balljoint from steering knuckle and lower jack that is supporting control arm. No spring compressor needed for this job. Align spring in upper seat and lower control arm and raise up jack and install balljoint nut. The truck should be aligned after job is finished.
hayhauler pretty much summed it up here...but it sounds way easier reading it than actually doing it, especially if its your first time. You are bound to run into snags and parts that have been stuck together for almost 40 years. I had to use a ball joint serperator tool to get mine apart because my truck has cut springs from a p.o. and they wouldn't put any pressure to help...as you might have already read doing searches, they pretty much toast your rubber balljoint covers so grab a few of those at your local parts store before you start.

There is a video on here that shows a guy doing it which really helps. Try finding it...I am surprised someone hasn't made a FAQ on how to do this yet because it comes up probably once every few weeks or so. Or maybe there is and I just can't find it either!

Good luck and just take your time and be carefull of the that spring...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Adding to hayhauler's post, here's a write up Wes did:

1) Jack the front of the truck up by the large crossmember under the motor.
2) Place jack stands under the frame rails just forward of the front of the front cab mounts and let the jack back down. (Making sure that the tires remain off the ground)
3) Remove the front tires and wheels.
4) Place floor jack under the lower "A" arm and jack it up until it is about 1/8" away from touching it.
5) Remove the cotter pin that is keeping the castle nut from backing off on the lower ball joints.
6) Back the castle nut off about 1/4".
7) Using the 3 pound hammer, smack the side of the spindle where the lower ball joint is. (This may take a couple of good hard hits)
8) Once the spindle pops loose of the lower ball joint then you jack the floor jack up to slightly lift the lower "A" arm up to relieve the spring tention from the ball joint and castle nut.
9) Remove the castle nut.
10) Lower the jack slowly to allow the "A" arm to open up.
11) Remove the old spring.
12) Replace with the new one making sure that you place it correctly into the pocket and jack the lower "A" arm back up. (This will take some coordination or extra hands. You need to make sure the spring is placed correctly, and the spindle lines up on the ball joint all at the same time.
13) Once the ball joint enters the spindle enough to start the castle nut, spin the castle nut on.
14) Then you can jack the "A" arm up until it tries to lift the truck. (Then stop)
15) Tighten the castle nut to seat the ball joint and line it up to place the cotter pin back in it.
16) Replace tires and wheels and let the truck back down.
Done deal!!
Hope this helps. WES
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
1971ChevyTruck

Thanks for all the help...it took me two hours to do the drivers side. i didn't think that was bad since it was my first time and I have a 4 year old asking questions. Off to do the other side!!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
1971ChevyTruck

Okay the second side hasn't been as easy. I can not get the bottom bolt between the a arm and spindle to seperate. Any ideas? I have a 4lb hammer and I have been hitting it for 20 min...no luck so far. I even tried to let the springs seperate it, but nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
1971ChevyTruck

Nevermind...used bigger hammer--6lb and braced up upper a arm so it didn't sag and about 8 hits and pow it was loose. Job is complete!! I just hope the old Man likes the stance on his truck!!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
cstm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ChevyTruck View Post
Nevermind...used bigger hammer--6lb and braced up upper a arm so it didn't sag and about 8 hits and pow it was loose. Job is complete!! I just hope the old Man likes the stance on his truck!!
we need pics!! hahaha