The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Martin64

Non-syncro to syncro transmission swap help

I know I've seen at least one thread here on doing a swap from a non-syncronized transmission to a syncronized transmission.

Here's what I'm up against. The syncronized transmission is (over-all) about 5 inches longer and it has a fine splined out-put shaft. Tomorrow I'm going to get a fine splined yoke to fit. But since the overall transmission length is longer, I'm thinking that I can swap out the solid front drive line for one that's a shorter and has a slip joint. Am I thinking wrong or is this one of those instances where there's 10 different ways to get the same outcome?

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Non-syncro to syncro transmission swap help

you would have to go along way back for a non-syncroed trans. some in these years were non syncro only in 1st gear. some were fully syncro, depending on what they were
tell us waht you are taking out and what you are trying to put back in, to give us an idea of what you are trying to do
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Martin64

Mine is non-syncro from 2nd down shifting to 1st, 2nd and 3rd are syncronized. I'm installing a full syncronized transmission.

1964(-ish) C10
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
padresag

what type of transmission are you installing( which I already asked) or trying to install.
unless you give that info there is not much to say. what make or model is it . what year is it out of?????????. there are lots of fully syncroed trans out there.
ron
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Martin64

It's a 3 speed syncro transmisssion out of a '68 C10.

1964(-ish) C10

Last edited by Martin64; 03-05-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
padresag

I thought that they were the same length. I knew that the rear spline changed somewhere. also check the dia of the frt brg retainer; somewhere in there that got bigger also.
you can find a fully syncro 3 speed that is the same length as what you have. they were passenger car(66) and I thought p/u were . there were some changes in truck around 68 and that is perhaps what happened to you.
it is like the o/drive 3 speed that will interchange with what you have and the laterones were fully syncrro and I believe that they were about 65-66. they may have a fine spline on the output and all that you have to do is change the yoke and not cut the d/shaft. the 4 speed pass car fiully syncro will also bolt in where your 3 speed was
some one else should verify this
ron
Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Martin64

I thought they were the same length also, but after pulling the non syc trans out of my truck and setting it next to the syc'd trans, there are alot of differences. The one out of my truck is about 5 inches shorter (total overall length). The input shafts are the same length and diameter and the bolt patterns are the same so it'll slide right in and bolt right up. I just need to get the driveshafts and yoke sorted out. I would really like to stumble upon a front drive line that's a little shorter and has a slip joint already in it...and where I'm going tomorrow may help me in that quest...and maybe not. I was just hoping that this has already been done and get some alternate views of how to go about it.

I really want to get this done tomorrow so I don't have to ride the H-D through the snow (possibly) on the way back over to work for the week. My home is in El Cajon, I work in El Centro and there's a mountain range in between that is looking at snow down to 3000' this Sat/Sun.

1964(-ish) C10
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
padresag

does it give you a model anywhere on it. check that frt brg retainer od. this is the sleeve that bolts onto the frt of the trans that the pilot brg rides on. oif it is the larger one , it will not go into your bellhousing
ron
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Martin64

They are the same size. I have the bell housing that came with the newer transmission, so it wouldn't be much of an issue. I did get a fine splined yoke today so I can get the transmission going into place this afternoon, I just need to find someone that can take 5 1/2 inches off the front driveline and it'll be back on the road. Unfortunately I don't think I can find anyone to do it on a Sunday so I'll have to brave the weather on the scooter.

1964(-ish) C10

Last edited by Martin64; 03-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.