The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
bigcarguy
Finally a Bulldawg

Wiring bonehead needs help with CD player install

Ok, I've got the speakers all ready to go, I just now have to wire up the player. It's a Pioneer DEH-P20 and I just need help finding where to wire it to. There's a red and a yellow wire coming out of the back of the player, yellow marked as battery and red marked as ACC. Now, I look behind my dash and see a lot of wires and I don't know where these two wires should be hooked up to, so if anyone can give me some help(color of wires I can hook into or at least some really good locations) then I could have this thing installed in no time.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

The yellow goes to a battery wire (hot all the time), the red wire goes to an ignition wire (hot when you turn the key on. The battery wire (yellow) can be run to the fusebox and hooked to a constant power wire, or the big red one from your ignition switch. Just be sure to secure it well. Wrapping tape around it is not enough. Solder and tape, then put zip ties on the tape to hold it down. Also the ACC wire (red) can be hooked to the big pimk wire at the ignition switch. The hook the ground to any metal suface, as the whole truck (should) be grounded. Make sure you have a fuse on the yellow wire, it is for you clock and presets. Good luck.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would prefer to run them to the fuse box rather than cutting up your under dash wires.
Other than that, I agree with jmanz69.
Also, if you get a humming in your speekers that increases with engine RPM, then find a better ground, or ground your cab better. Very common problem.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
Blue Beard

If your still unsure of the good advice given here on the board.

You can usually go the the manuafacture site os the unit and download the complete install instructions.

Happy Wiring
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:28 AM   #5
GreenMystChevy

And as both guys said, make sure it is grounded good. I felt like a moron because I knew I had hooked mine up right and I "knew" that it was grounded but it still wouldn't work. So it took it back and they tested it, what do ya know, it worked. Grounding is the source of a lot so check that first. Good luck, you have some good instructions from these guys.
'72 Nova (Dad's)
'70 Chevelle SS
'55 Sedan Delivery

Attempting to build up this here 4x4...make her real tall and purty...well, maybe just tall
GreenMystChevy is offline   Reply With Quote