The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
treetop_73

Power steering pump 85 high sierra 2500

I just bought my 85 and noticed there was a slow leak from the gearbox but just checked the power steering fluid level and it is dry. There is a stain on the street under my truck that is dry but I don't remember it being there before I bought the truck. Its been parked for about 3 weeks since I bought it as I haven't got insurance yet. What typically causes leaks and do you think the pump needs replaced or refilled or what else?

I've always wanted an 73-87 and finally got the wife to agree and now this minor roadblock.
treetop_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
treetop_73

Re: Power steering pump 85 high sierra 2500

Here's a photo of my truck.

The other stain farther back is from my old neighbors car. There is a new one near my driveway directly under the pump that I can't remember.
Attached Images

Last edited by treetop_73; 03-06-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
leegrady

That's a real nice looking truck. A lot like my 81 Sierra Grande 2500. The power steering pump will leak behind the pulley, but usually from the return line. This is the low pressure line that has just a plain ole clamp. The other line feeds the steering box with high pressure fluid, and if it leaks your a gonna know it. It will blow fluid all over the engine compartment. Check both these lines real good. Also, any power steering cooling unit.
Next is the gear box itself. Usually those Saginaw units leak where the steering wheel shaft couples with the gearbox. You can buy these little seals without buying the whole overhaul kit. Just use a 12 point socket on the clamp and carefully slide the shaft back with a pry bar. The shaft is designed to slide into itself in the event of a front end crash, so it doesn't cider press the driver to the rear window. I have done complete rebuilds on these gearboxes but they are tricky. If the whole thing is weeping fluid at the seams replace with a rebuilt from the parts store, or bone yard. Note too: hard core off roading will rip the gear box from the frame. JC witney sells a reinforcement metal part that strengthens where the gear box bolts to the frame.

Last edited by leegrady; 03-06-2010 at 09:58 PM.
leegrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
treetop_73

Thanks. There is a tiny bit of surface rust on the hood where it hits the grill when closed and thats it. The interior is decent but has the usual torn seat and cracked dash. The constant little clock running gets annoying when I'm sitting in it without the engine running. It took me a while to figure out I had a clock there, I just kept hearing something run and thought it was killing my battery.

I didn't get a chance to check where it was leaking from yet, front or back of pump since it started to rain here. I looked from under and saw it was running down a hose and dripping from there but couldn't see where it was coming from to hit the hose. I will check all the lines and try to figure it out. Its a slow leak, the spot is about the size of a softball. Not a huge puddle so I think it was practically empty when I bought it. I would have checked prior but like I said, didn't know much about them so I checked the most common fluids I could find easily.