The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
70Custom10Nut

Question Carrier bearing life span questions

How long should a carrier bearing last? (on my LWB 70)
I put a new one (Timkin) in about 8,000 miles ago, and in the beginning the rubber seal had an annoying squeak at low speed.
(fast forward ten years) After sitting in storage for 5 years while I was in Europe, I noticed the squeak was gone but now the bearing clunks a lot under hard acceleration from low speeds. It worked well in the beginning, so I know I have it in there right. There is some play in the carrier itself, and the bearing seems to be "floating" inside the rubber seal. The rubber is in good shape with no cracks or holes. I guess my questions are:
1. Is this normal for them to squeak?
2. Is it normal to have the play in the unit?
3. Is it normal for them to clunk at low speed?
4. Do they wear out that quick?
The truck has not been worked very hard since I've had it so I know none of the symptoms are from abuse. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Carrier bearing life span questions

Back in the day. That was when I had my '72 GMC I had to replace the carrier bearing after the truck was about 8 years old.

The carrier bearings are holding up good in both of my trucks now, but they are bone stock.

I have heard people having problems with the carrier bearings after lowering their trucks.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Not all carrier bearings are equal in quality. Some are worse then others. Both Inland Empire Drive Line and CPP have some pretty nice heavy duty ones.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Just when you have everything else replaced and your wallet is empty is when you should expect the carrier bearing to give up the ghost.

Actually my rubber is trying to escape from between the bearing and the shell, but I think it's the 40-yr old factory stuff so I can't complain. I'm thinking of getting just the rubber, then when I pull out the old one see if I can use one of those kits that inject urethane into tuner car engine mounts to make one "rubber" bushing that will last forever...if I get to it before the thing is thrashed. My bearing doesn't make any noise yet but I know my rubber went bad from the truck hardly moving for about ten years before I got it. If anyone's already tried it I hope they'll speak up.

I'd lean toward the time in storage as causing the rubber to shrink or dry, as the issue...did you have any similar issues with your other rubber parts, like tires, belts and hoses?

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote