The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

What would YOU do?

My '69 SWB is disassembled and at the body/paint facility. The cab is on the chassis, and the chassis is complete. There is a 2/4 static drop (ECE). The body has been stripped of all interior/wiring/etc, to get it ready for the repairs and paint. The bed has been removed and is being readied. Holes in bedsides are being filled. Stake pocket holes are, too. The plan is to put a handle flip kit in the tailgate. There's a little bit of repair to be done on the cab (smoothing the firewall).

The plan is to paint it black.

My question is this: If it was yours, would you sell it before it was to be painted, i.e., in primer OR paint it and sell it as a body in black....ready for a new owner to reassemble? Yeah, I know some people would say to finish it and then sell it as a completed vehicle, but that ain't gonna happen. I have lost interest in it and I don't have any desire to finish it myself.

If you were in the market, which way would you rather buy one....painted, or in primer after the body work/mods are done?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Paul M

Re: What would YOU do?

well..if your not going to assemble it, id leave it primered and save the money from painting it and let new owner make that call themselves. you could always sell with a deal in place to paint it the color they want.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If I was going to sell it I would sell it primered.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
72K20
Slow Old Timer

X2
72K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
tommys69/454
1969 short box

work done and primered as well
Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Moving it after paint would be even more of a PITA. Another vote for primer.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Primered, and not modified. I'd let the buyer decide whether they wanted to do additional body work beyond repairs.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Since its unassembled leave it in primer.
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Richard H.
Spanked once

Actually I would just stop ,coat it with some prep n etch and let the new owner decide if he wants a shaved firewall ,tail gate work etc. From the git-go you know your not gonna get what you have in it even if you finish it.
Does the new owner want a white ,black ,gray or yellow primer? Or red. Just trying to be nice here ,if you're done ,you're done.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
michael bustamante

primer, what if you go black and the new owner wants blue?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
JohnC

Yeah I would agree. Leave it in primer. You won't recoop the cost to have it painted most likely, and like stated you may appeal to more people that want a different color, but all the body work is done.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
Actually I would just stop ,coat it with some prep n etch and let the new owner decide if he wants a shaved firewall ,tail gate work etc. From the git-go you know your not gonna get what you have in it even if you finish it.
Does the new owner want a white ,black ,gray or yellow primer? Or red. Just trying to be nice here ,if you're done ,you're done.

I definetly have to agree with the above comment....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
hayhauler71

Maybe after you find out how much your going to take in the shorts you will gain your interest back other wise leave it in primer .
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Ackattack

I'd leave it in primer also with no mods or body work so the potential buyer knows what he's getting
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
QKENUF4U

Cool Re: What would YOU do?

yep as said... fix any rust etc. but leave the mods alone (shaving firewall etc) and leave it in primer.... personally thats how i would love to find one.. got the paint sitting here waiting to be used..... bummer youre selling and i have no money

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 03-08-2010 at 06:15 PM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
jay6891
Car Knocker

x2 leave it in primer. Wish I had some extra money, I could be there in 30 mins. Good Luck
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I definetly have to agree with the above comment....

If you definitely aren't going to finish it, many will be suspicious of the quality of work under the primer. So do the rust repairs and etch the repairs. There are only so many that will buy a project blown apart as it is a big deal to put back together and you never know if you have all the parts until you do.

My real advice is that you will make more parting out the rust free cab and other parts at this point.

Another consideration is if you could work out a deal with your body man/shop to assemble the truck and get it running and not receive full payment until the truck is sold. Long shot but would recoup the most money.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
epashhans

Would you be selling it if it was all painted and back together?

Always makes me sad to see a dream fall apart...although at times we have all probably considered it!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
VA72C10
VA72C10

Just reading some of your other posts...if they don't finish it other than rust repairs, will you be able to get some of the up-front money back? If not, I'd have them do everything that's within that $$$$ amount up to and including paint as to not lose that layout....
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Paint it a nice metallic gun metal gray and ship it out to me!

The one thing you gain when all the body work and paint is done is the customers that want to be able to get a project and just put it together. Getting a project that is already painted (a color I like) is a dream, as I hate doing body work and paying a ton to have it painted.

If you have it in the shop right now another cool thing you can do is advertise it now as "Pick your color" and I'll bet you will have people knocking your door down. Make em pay up front though lol.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When I bought it in '99, it was primer over white paint, with a greenish caste. Yet, I didn't bat an eye at that fact in that it was pretty solid. That's the good thing, and the bad. Rust is minimal, but where it is it ain't been good. Rockers and floors were replaced. But, the P.O. used some non-automotive silicone sealer that caused some rusting where it shouldn't have been. So, the shaving the firewall is a reasonable fix. It had factory air, yet the thinking on my part is that anyone who wanted air would probably want a new system with a cleaner look on that firewall. The bed is rust-free. There is a minor spot on the passenger door, where dirt/water accumulate at the bottom of the inner door. Not a problem at all.

I know the argument about leaving it in primer, so the points are well made and agreed. Paint is like you said, and like I thought...if you like it, fine. If not, the expense to repaint is there. The bed has been coated with Vortex, but below the top of the bed.

I have a butt-load of parts. The original engine/transmission was running when I pulled it out. I have a new windshield and all the rubber with new trim. new outer door handles; Interior stuff in red, except for a seat cover. I have a 98 Tahoe 2nd row seat for that, in tan leather. New dash bezel. Dash still uncut, but I have a Mahanian billet trim piece to accomodate a DIN-sized radio. It has Wheel Vintiques rallye wheels with hot rod trim rings and police caps. Fronts are 15x8, while the rears are 15x10. Discs up front and 6-lug all the way around.

It's somewhat of a downer to admit that I shouldn't have started on the project, but I was recovering from my stroke and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, I know that there's more for me to consider....like my time with my family doing things together. Not that the car scene isn't a family-oriented concept....because it is. I have no one to help me at home with it and it isn't right to ask others for their time/talent. I don't beg.

Based on these responses, I'll go for a primer/sealer finish that will seal the body work from the weather. It should be a smooth body with tons of potential....and it will be solid. We've only found one place on the passenger door that had any filler in it. The rest of the body, including the bed, was free of any evidence. I had the bed and front cap soda-blasted, so it was clean as could be.

Thanks for your input. It was what I had expected to hear, and I appreciate your support for my decision.

My health is one reason for selling. Not having a place to reassemble it is another.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #22
BB72CHEVKT

Just keep in mind you are probably going to only get back fifty cents on the dollar for an unfinished project. It would more than likely be worth more in parts.

Last edited by BB72CHEVKT; 03-08-2010 at 09:12 PM.
BB72CHEVKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Part it.
It sounds like you are at "the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole" stage; so you could probably make a few more $s.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
VA72C10
VA72C10

The only thing I would add is to take pictures now before body work, after, and if you have them, just out of soda blasting. I know for me, that would help me feel better about it. Probably will help you get more for the project. Best wishes.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #25
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
Just keep in mind you are probably going to only get back fifty cents on the dollar for an unfinished project. It would more than likely be worth more in parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Part it.
It sounds like you are at "the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole" stage; so you could probably make a few more $s.

even though it sounds your mind is set with selling it as a whole which is why I responded the way I did above. I do know people looking for projects but it seems more are looking for a good cab or a good bed, fenders, etc. and you have some great parts including the uninstalled ones. Most of the other parts you mentioned wouldn't add as much to the value of a project as they would bring individually.