The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
AzDon

Hinge Plugs?

I'm cleaning up a 68 burb with upper and lower gates in the rear.
I have noticed that the hinge pockets for barn doors are wide open to allow water to run into the surround structure of the rear opening.
Is there, or was there ever some kind of plugs or covers for these four holes?
If so, does anybody know a source?
Is this something I'm going to have to make?
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Hinge Plugs?

little silver plastic body plugs were in there originally.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

I've seen the plugs at my local hardware store.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
PortHeadlight

I forget where I got them, but I'll mail you a handful of black plugs if you pm me your address and tell me how many you need.
PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Sub71

Are you asking about the gaps around the actual hinges where they go through the door or about the bolt holes on the inside? My hinges have rubber seals around them, they're in pretty bad shape though.

Edit, sorry I have the barn doors.
Sub71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
72Subby

the round holes are standard enough that you can get plastic body plugs at a restoration supply company or even the local car parts place in the "Help!" aisle.

I think you are talking about the rectangular holes - there were originally (custom) square plastic body plugs that filled those on liftgate burbs.

Another odd plug is the oval plugs on the inside of the B pillar.

At the risk of revealing my completely anal nature, I tracked down the original manufacturer for these OEM plugs (they are still in business and making plugs)... these plugs (the square and the oval) were custom made for Chevy during these years and are unavailable. (I was hoping if I gave them the part number or the size I could get some, but no).

My burb didn't have any of them and I just got it painted so I too am looking for solutions to plug these holes and make it look nice. I've scoured parts sources for other classic cars looking for similar plugs (no luck).

I'm thinking of cutting some weather strip to glue/seal the rectangular holes but I haven't got that far yet.

Google "restoration supply company" and you can get some good sources for odd parts like these, special clips, etc.

--steve
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Subby View Post
the round holes are standard enough that you can get plastic body plugs at a restoration supply company or even the local car parts place in the "Help!" aisle.

I think you are talking about the rectangular holes - there were originally (custom) square plastic body plugs that filled those on liftgate burbs.

Another odd plug is the oval plugs on the inside of the B pillar.

At the risk of revealing my completely anal nature, I tracked down the original manufacturer for these OEM plugs (they are still in business and making plugs)... these plugs (the square and the oval) were custom made for Chevy during these years and are unavailable. (I was hoping if I gave them the part number or the size I could get some, but no).

My burb didn't have any of them and I just got it painted so I too am looking for solutions to plug these holes and make it look nice. I've scoured parts sources for other classic cars looking for similar plugs (no luck).

I'm thinking of cutting some weather strip to glue/seal the rectangular holes but I haven't got that far yet.

Google "restoration supply company" and you can get some good sources for odd parts like these, special clips, etc.

--steve
If you are talking about the rectangular plugs that go around the hinges those are available repro.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
PortHeadlight

Which ones?
PortHeadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

These are what most of them look like.
I'm looking for a bunch of these too, but I don't want the black ones just the OEM silver.
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
AzDon

Sorry I wasn't clear... I was talking about the open rectangular pockets that barndoor hinges would insert into. I could make plugs out of 3/8" flat with the three hinge bolt holes, but they still wouldnt really seal the openings and be a project to produce. If somebody made something similar with a trick sealed end, I might want to buy. I'm thinking that something like this could be injection molded in China for a nickel a copy and I would gladly buy a set of them for $20 in a heartbeat. Only somebody like LMC has a possibly big enough market to make a profitable production run, though.
I don't really care about the round holes because they are inside the cabin
AzDon is offline   Reply With Quote