The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
chuckthetruck

Chuck having issues

Put new battery in my 1987 GMC classic (chuck) and it ran well for about 3 days then pulled into a restraunt and it died. Would not start. Sounded like battery ran down so pushed into parking spot. Went and ate...came back out started right up. Got gas right afterwards..would not start at the gas station..same issue...waited for about 10 min then started right up...got it home...(about 2 min later) pulled into driveway..and it died again...and hasnt started again....now it clicks only. Rapid clicks. Thought it was dead battery issues..but it would not jump either.

Any ideas?
chuckthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
f.monroe

Re: Chuck having issues

Sounds like a bad starter if the battery is OK . I would also look at the connections where the battery cable bolts to the solenoid.
Frank
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
thehitchmaster

X2 on the connection to the solenoid
Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
FLEET72

Take a gander at this, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=356195
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
chuckthetruck

Thanks i will try it all out..I am dying to start restoring him. (dont worry keeping as original as I can)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
FLEET72

My 1960 stepside that I had a while ago did that. I put in a remote start relay, a ford relay from NAPA auto parts to cure the problem I had. Here is a article that explains more in depth. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...fix/index.html
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

i picked up a new starter solonoid for about $20 when mine went.
heat sheild your headers too around the starter

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
chuckthetruck

Well thought it was the starter..tried to jump today..jumped right up and ran like a dream....however once it shut off...(after 5-7 minutes running) it was dead again....

Alternator?

If so I guess i will be looking on here for a good alternator.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
cableguy0

The alternator has nothing to do with the truck starting. The alternator simply charges the battery and runs the electrical system after the truck is running. It sounds to me like a bad starter. you need to check all the battery cables. Make sure the connections are tight and not corroded on both power and ground cables. The truck having issues after having been run leans towards a heat soak issue which will show up and get worse with the age of the starter.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
chuckthetruck

Thank you cableguy0. I am not a mechanic and this truck is my first crack at it. However I figured if the truck will jump start without a problem..but still have a dead battery after it has been running for 5 minutes.. i always thought that as the alternator...but i will lean back towards the starter...this is why i come to forum's like this.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
cableguy0

I misread.... Lets start over. If the truck sits for say a week can you go outside and start it right up without a jump? If you drive the truck around for a while and shut it off it wont start back up correct? Will it start with a jump at that point or do you just have to wait? Its hard to diagnose this stuff through the computer but we can at least get you steered in the right direction.Do you have a voltmeter? If so, check battery voltage while the truck is off. Should be somwhere around 12 volts. Next start the truck and check the voltage at the battery it should now be around 14 volts give or take. little higher or lower nothing to worry about. If voltage is the same running and while shut off. its likely a bad alternator but wiring needs to be checked first to make sure you dont have a stupid problem. Now if all that checks out well I would be very suspicious of the starter.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
bitchin85

my truck did this exact same thing.. found out that my headers burnt a wire going to the starter so i ran all new wires to it, and cleaned up the connections and the started worked great for a few weeks then did it again.. ended up getting a new starter, theyre cheap.., and the problem went away and it starts right up.. i would just get a new starter if i was you... mine was exactally the same even with the jump thing.. it wouldnt start after driving it unlessi let it cool off, or i got a jump..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
chuckthetruck

This is what happened...the wife and I took a drive one night and pulled into a restraunt where I needed to back up and re-park the truck. I turned it too far and it died...no biggie i have had that before in a lot of cars...but when i put it in park/neutral to restart it...it wouldn't fire up and sounded like the battery was dying. (slow turn over) After we got out from having dinner...i climbed in and it started right up...drove him to the gas station and parked it..put gas in it...tried to start it...same thing as before..went in spent 5 minutes in gas station and came out got in started right up..no problems again. Got home pulled into driveway and it died while driving. Since then put new battery in and when i turn the key it clicks very rapidly (like it sounds when the battery is low enough to not turn over engine) Since that point I tried it today and jumped it..started right up with a jump like nothing was wrong...let it run thinking it was a fluke all this time....shut it off after 5-7 minutes of running. Turned around and tried to start it and got clicks and then nothing. Jumped it and started perfect....that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Sounds to me like either a bad connection (my "most likely" guess) or a bad starter. First eliminate the wiring/connections as a possiblity and then by process of elimination, it leaves the starter. If you have a volt meter and you want to know how to make these checks, let me know and I or another board member will guide you through voltage checks and voltage drops etc.. to help you work thorgh the cheaper, easier fixes before you go spending money on a starter.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
bitchin85

that is like word for word what happened to me.. first check all your wires and connections.. and cleaning everything up will probly help.. but i ended up getting a starter and the problem went away..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckthetruck View Post
This is what happened...the wife and I took a drive one night and pulled into a restraunt where I needed to back up and re-park the truck. I turned it too far and it died...no biggie i have had that before in a lot of cars...but when i put it in park/neutral to restart it...it wouldn't fire up and sounded like the battery was dying. (slow turn over) After we got out from having dinner...i climbed in and it started right up...drove him to the gas station and parked it..put gas in it...tried to start it...same thing as before..went in spent 5 minutes in gas station and came out got in started right up..no problems again. Got home pulled into driveway and it died while driving. Since then put new battery in and when i turn the key it clicks very rapidly (like it sounds when the battery is low enough to not turn over engine) Since that point I tried it today and jumped it..started right up with a jump like nothing was wrong...let it run thinking it was a fluke all this time....shut it off after 5-7 minutes of running. Turned around and tried to start it and got clicks and then nothing. Jumped it and started perfect....that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth
If it starts easily with a jump, it is not the starter. I think you have a voltage drop somewhere... resistance in the wires/connections is consuming voltage that would otherwise be used by the starter.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #17
bitchin85

mine started easy with a jump and it ended up being the starter.. the solenoid on it was bad and it would get hot and id have to wait for it to cool, or give it a jump before it would start again.. like isaid its exaclty what happened to me
Old 05-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
chuckthetruck

Thank you to everyone!! I will keep you posted. I do not have a voltmeter...besides the gauge mounted in chuck itself. I will try checking the wires and such...with fathers day coming (and much needed yard work done) i cant wait to get this family member running again!!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
rjn72

Also if you have aftermarket battery terminals check those. I spent two evenings scratching my head because it looked good. It wasn't. New battery, Checked alternator and starter. Then when I found the problem, I was embaressed. But it's fixed now. Long story short, check simple and cheap first.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
cableguy0

A worn starter will work when higher voltage is applied to it. The heat will also affect an old worn starter a lot worse and faster than it will a new or properly functioning starter. The thing is if the alternator was bad the battery would end up completely dead and the truck wouldnt run even when jumped. If the truck runs ok and the radio and lights work good then i wouldnt suspect an alternator problem. As I said though check the wiring first and move on from there. A bad connection will also cause the same types of issues
Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #21
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
A worn starter will work when higher voltage is applied to it.
Jump starting a vehicle does not increase the voltage significantly. If a battery is fully charged, it should have 12.6V or so. A jump start from a running vehicle with the alternator producing normal voltage would add maybe 2V. If a starter is dragging at 12.6 volts, 14.6 volts ain't gonna make a lot of difference.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
cableguy0

You gotta take into account the amp draw. Starting the vehicle will put a good load on the battery. When you add another battery plus the other vehicles charging system the amperage is a good bit higher overall as well as the voltage.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #23
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
You gotta take into account the amp draw. Starting the vehicle will put a good load on the battery. When you add another battery plus the other vehicles charging system the amperage is a good bit higher overall as well as the voltage.
To increase amperage to the starter you have to A: Decrease resistance (wiring/connection issues) or B: Increase voltage. Adding a second battery does very little to increase voltage unless you connect it in series. When you jump start a vehicle, you connect it in parallel....still 12-14 volts. The jump start is likely bypassing some resistance.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

Last edited by Longhorn321; 05-09-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #24
givengold

My son's 64 El Camino was doing just that, only the starter would do nothing when the engine was hot. A jump start always worked. I replaced a couple of suspect wires from the positive side of the battery with heavy gauge wire, and the problem went away. The wires that I replaced were not original, and they did show signs of heat damage. Much cheaper than replacing the starter, just check all wires and connections first.
givengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #25
chuckthetruck

HA...update time!

You will never believe what the problem was. A bad battery. I ruled this out because I LITERALLY just bought it 3 months ago. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I am sure I will be needing advice again soon.

Bill