The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
camshaftgsxr

vacuum advance distributers

i have a distributer from an 84 silverado with a vacuum advance, my question is would putting a cam in my truck affect the advance curve on the Dist. ?

and there are wires and a plug coming out of the back passenger side of the dist. and there is just a green wire coming out and looped back in to it (maybe a jumper for something to work?) and the rest of the wires are taped off, the computer behind the glove box is there would it be worth my time to hook it up or leave it alone? i'm having running problems between idle and 2000 rpms but it runs fine from 2 grand up.

if something is confusing or needs clarification just let me know i need some answers so i will try my best to make the problem clear

Last edited by camshaftgsxr; 03-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.
camshaftgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: vacuum advance distributers

I don't have an answer for your first question. It is an ESC distributor that has been jumpered to use disconnected from the computer. There is info about this in the garage secion at www.73-87.com.

It is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother to hook it up to the box. I would, however, consider replacing it with a standard HEI if the distributor is the cause of your problems.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Stepsideride

Depends on the size of the cam...if big enough yes it would effect the advance curve as it wouldnt advance when and where it needs to...vacuum is a big thing to keep in mind.....big cammed engines use a vaccuum pump to achieve the needed vacuum unless its electronicly controlled through an ecu but that still leaves brakes that need vacuum unless they run a hydroboost setup.
Stepsideride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
MR .T

the hi po dist i built for my hotrod has 12 degrees vacuum advance stock might have up to 24 degrees on an HEI this is too much if you want a good performance engine.

I run 15 initial, 20 mech and 12 vacuum for a hotrod. My 78 4x4 is stock 5 initial 20 mechanical and around 22 vacuum

I hope that helps alittle.
MR .T is offline   Reply With Quote