The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Wincks2

Folding seat back catch and striker wont catch

My back bench seat folding seat back catch and striker wont catch unless I tip the backmost one forward. The frontmost one is welded so I can't move it toward the backmost one. The plastic cover that covers these has a slot that would sit just behind the backmost one. You can barely see the slot just past the white circle in the photos below. Looks like the slot held whatever tipped the backmost part forward. Anybody know what that slot held, what it looks like or is named or where I can get two. The official manual doesn't mention it where it shows the catch and striker. Truck is an 85 c2500 2wd crew cab.

Dangling:

Tipped forward:

Last edited by Wincks2; 03-12-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Wincks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Re: Folding seat back catch and striker wont catch

Didn't see that you put yours was an 85' til I posted. Hi, I'm not sure what year of truck you have, but I posted the same question you did a while back and what I was told was that the seat wasn't designed to latch. They were only designed to latch in a collision. I have an 87' V10. My seat has the same swinging mechanism inside that groove which I really thought would be to latch, but I guess doesn't unless there is a severe jar, which latches it (collision). You might try to dig up my past post, but it was pretty interesting what info I got back. Does yours have a lever on the back to release? If not, I bet it's like mine. I'll be interested to see the responses to your post.

Last edited by 92470; 03-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
92470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Wincks2

Thanks 92740 I will take a look for your post.

Very interesting that the safety depends on the dangling thing swinging forward over top of the teeth. Physics I guess. Guess I should remove the rust.

My recollection from when I was a kid was that it was always locked and then we pushed the seat back or something to release the catch. But that was a long time ago, so maybe I don't accurately recall.

Will look for your earlier post.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Wincks2

Yes. Your answer is correct. At least one of those answering your earlier post helped design these trucks. Here is a link to your earlier thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354236

Well, guess I'll cross fixing the latch off my to do list

Last edited by Wincks2; 03-12-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: brevity