The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
herrmc

OBD ScanTool (I and II) Questions

I am working on a project truck with my Son, it is a 1994 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab 4 x 4.

We are to a point we would like to have an OBD scantool, I am was raised on a farm, and have done mechanical work since I was very young... I am now an accomplished computer geek by trade.... also my educational background beyond H.S. is in electronics. It has been a while since I have actively worked on automobiles at this level (we just rebuilt the motor, replaced the transmission etc). About the last year models I was very familiar with was in the mid 80's .... And most of all of my mechanical experience is either with Chevy or on tractors....

My electronics background lends well to me understanding what they have done with the OBD stuff... and the sensors that has been added... I have never actually used an OBD scanner myself (a friend put one on my 2001 f250 diesel recently)...

I understand that for the current project truck, that an OBD I scantool is what is needed for the 1994 chevy .... My thoughts are, that If I am going to invest the money in a scantool I might as well get one that will be useful on my newer autos as well (2 - Chevy cobalts, 1 - GMC Safari, 1 - Ford F-250 Diesel 4 x 4, 1 - 2005 F-150)....

With my computer background... I have lots of computers laying around... and the necessary skillset to keep them running.... so a computer based scantool sounds enticing to me.

My son and I just made a trip to town (small town)... Napa, O'Reillys, Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart ---> Had 1 Innovia model (basic mode, NO OBD I)... $99
Orielly ---> Had the full range of Innovia scanners $ 99 up to $340
Napa ---> None in stock, but have the Innovia in the catalog for quick delivery... $99 ~ $300 (a little cheaper than O'Rielly for the same thing)

I came home and got online, found an advertisement for scantool.net (pc-based)... looks pretty interesting. (the pc based stuff sounds much more interesting to me).

Hopefully I have done an acceptable job of explaining my background... and what I want to accomplish now, as well as future considerations... Price is not the #1 consideration... but I do want to be reasonable (won't be a pro doing this every day).....

Now after all of that blabber..... Can some of you with experience using these please give me some good advice?

Thanks in advance
Curtis
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: OBD ScanTool (I and II) Questions

Without buying a full blown scanner such as snap on etc having obd 1 and capabilities as well as adapters for other older vehicles is sort of out of the question. The pc based stuff will work just fine the cables tend to get pricey but for your needs its probably the best route to go.With the handheld units the more you pay the more features you get. The ones in the 100 dollar range are basically just code readers with no diagnostic ability. The computer based stuff will allow you to watch individual components function and be able to perform diagnostics
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Ticker
Account Suspended

The basic scantools are just going to let you read and reset codes. Given your background and interest, I'd invest in one of the edit programs out there.

Having said that - don't start poking around changing stuff! It takes some time to understand how this stuff works...
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
presleyhome

I have an Innova 3100E that has paid for itself a couple times over. Just to determine why the "check engine" light is on and turn it off it is worth every penny. Example....the light came on in the 2008 Dodge RAM we own. Plugged it in and it told me the gas cap was loose. Opened the gas door and the cap was off. reset.... no more light. Flushed the radiator in my brother's Buick and an hour later the "check engine" light came of. It said the engine was not getting hot enough and that there probably was an air-bubble in the system. We bled any air in the radiator, reset the code and it never came back on. Can you imagine paying someone service charges to " fix " these for you? I have owned it a year and have now used it about 8 or 9 times on friends and family vehicles. It is a great tool to keep the shop honest if it is something that you can not repair yourself. At least for the components covered, you have a solid idea of what is wrong.

The PC one looks cool and I would love to have it, but can get pricey with all the add-ons ( $35 for a case?).

Just my 2 cents!

Jim P
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Ticker
Account Suspended

I actually have both the handheld tools and LT/LS Edit programs. I agree the handheld tools are great to have - interestingly, on my C5 Z06 I can read codes right in the Driver Information Center; the reader and reset is built-in!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
herrmc

I am not familiar with the term LT/LS Edit Tool ... Can you point me to some reading information regarding this?

Thanks,
Curtis
Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Ticker
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmc View Post
I am not familiar with the term LT/LS Edit Tool ... Can you point me to some reading information regarding this?

Thanks,
Curtis
http://carputing.tripod.com/index.htm
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
earl84

Digging up an old thread here. Did a search and came up with this thread, so here goes.

I would like to get some PC based software that will do some diagnostic stuff, not just give me the DTC codes. Anyone have any experience with any of the programs out there that will do basically what this does? Would love to have this tool.
http://www.otctools.com/products/gen...th_system_4.0_
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
cableguy0

Its perfectly ok to start your own thread. No need to dig up old dead threads. Im going to close this thread and let it fall back into oblivion but feel free to ask away and start new threads with your own title etc. You will get a lot more answers with a proper title.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Closed Thread