The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Question Question bout my options

I'm planning on lifting my 67 lwb 4x4 gmc when i get home and i'm looking for a kit, so here's what i'm thinking about.

I want an all spring lift and i'm looking for 6" to clear 35's I want it done tastefully and don't want to have to go back and re-do it. I don't mind adding in differant hangers or shackles, just don't want to go blocks at all. I would prefer a bolt on kit so it will b quicker, but I can manage some welding too. I just want to get it in the air and on the road asap.

I've been looking around, and it is hard to find a 6" lift for GMC 4x4's in 67. Does anyone know what other years/make lift kits are compatible with what i have? I have 10 bolts on my 1/2 ton. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but will be adding new shocks and probably upgrade the steering at the same time.

Also...(and this may sound like a dumb question) the lug patterns are 6 on 5.5's right? I mean that is all i've known for chevy 6 lug axles, but i could be wrong. Just want to make sure.

For Rims i'm thinking about a 16x8 or 15x8 inch rim (any specific backspacing i should be after?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to have all the parts sitting in my garage for when i get home so i can get to work. (i'm deployed and will have all this sent to my house).

Thanks in advance fellas,

Jack
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Question bout my options

I don`t think you`ll find bolt-on springs for pre-69.Short of custom springs or having a shop arch you some,you`ll want to get hangers from the`69-ups.I guess you could bolt the later narrower springs on with using spacers.
Yeas,6 0n 5.5 and about 4" backspacing is good.

Good luck!Sounds like a plan!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Mr-Jack

what are so differant from 67 to 69 pickups with the springs?

what are the lengths for the stock springs on 67 and 69. Are the 67's wider?

i wish i saw someone that has done this already so i could take a look at what all they did.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Mr-Jack

would this work?

http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K408&V=35

6" superlift and i would get the rear springs

also found this...can i swap in 52" springs in the front and go this route?
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=122
or this flip?
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=112

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Mr-Jack

found these ORD for the rear...but i would hate to use the stock springs and add 2"s with shackles anyone know of a spring i could use to get a couple extra inches with a better arch or a hyprid spring pack i could build?
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-13-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: meant to edit previous post
Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

The 67-68 springs are wider if I remember right, I went with a kit from www.diy4x.com to run 52" springs from the back of a 73-87 supposed to give 4-5" of lift and a diy4x shackle flip for the rear which gives 4" of lift I went with a 1" lift block and a bit longer shackles as well to offset the weight of the burb.

You can also get custom made springs, I forget the name of the company that I looked into before I went a different route but I think it was 150 or 200 bucks for every inch of lift?

The rear springs are slso wider and a different length in the rear of 67-68 4x4s

Here is my build thread with aforementioned parts. Its a little more involved than replacing springs but not to bad.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=312252
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Mr-Jack

so let me get this straight...cause i can't see the pics at work cause the content filter blocks them (i'll look in about 6 hours when i get off tho)

In the front of your rig you used the diy4x b52 hanger, 52" springs and shackles

In the rear you used the diy4x flip 1" block and longer shackles?

You were trying to accomplish 4" all the way around for a heavier vehicle right? So i could essentially get longer shackles in the front and rear to compensate...maybe even zero rates or a 1" block? What do you think.

I sent an email already to customer service at diy4x before you posted asking them about this.

Is this the shackle they made to use for the springs?
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=113
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Jack View Post
so let me get this straight...cause i can't see the pics at work cause the content filter blocks them (i'll look in about 6 hours when i get off tho)

In the front of your rig you used the diy4x b52 hanger, 52" springs and shackles

In the rear you used the diy4x flip 1" block and longer shackles?

You were trying to accomplish 4" all the way around for a heavier vehicle right? So i could essentially get longer shackles in the front and rear to compensate...maybe even zero rates or a 1" block? What do you think.

I sent an email already to customer service at diy4x before you posted asking them about this.

Is this the shackle they made to use for the springs?
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=113
Correct, I haven't added the rear block yet though. To accommodate the wider rear springs he made me a shackle which goes from 2.5" into 3" there is a pic on my build thread. Its a cross tied shackle not the usdr but I am sure kurt could custom make a usdr shackle for you.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Mr-Jack

I'll see what he says in his response to the email and post it up

So are you running stock springs in the rear?
Old 03-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
Mr-Jack

just found these from sky-manufacturing too...looks like they make them for 67's too
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...duct.php?id=98
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
I'll see what he says in his response to the email and post it up

So are you running stock springs in the rear?
Yes I am running stock springs in the rear.

Even though listed as 69-72 any of the shackle flips work as well for a 67 or 68 just the shackle needs to be different for the 3" bushing on the stock spring.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Mr-Jack

are there any other spring options for the rear. i wouldn't mind converting to a differant spring for better options, i just want the axle centered in the wheel well after i get it in the air. I just don't like the way the trucks look on stock springs. I want the springs to have some arch you know!

Please someone give me a crash course on spring measurements...when they say it's a 52" spring...that's from center whole to center hole right?

Ok...maybe i should be asking something differant.

what are the stock front and rear spring measurements for the 67 truck. is there a page with this information.
how much lift will a 52" spring add to the front of a 67 with out the hanger (cause the hanger adds 4" so how much on top of that will the spring add?)
with the rear end, instead of going with just the flip kit and stock springs and doing shackle and add a leafs, is there an aftermarket spring i can use to avoid special shackles to accomodate for the 3" wide spring packs that are stock on this truck?

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-14-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
are there any other spring options for the rear. i wouldn't mind converting to a differant spring for better options, i just want the axle centered in the wheel well after i get it in the air. I just don't like the way the trucks look on stock springs. I want the springs to have some arch you know!

Please someone give me a crash course on spring measurements...when they say it's a 52" spring...that's from center whole to center hole right?

Ok...maybe i should be asking something differant.

what are the stock front and rear spring measurements for the 67 truck. is there a page with this information.
how much lift will a 52" spring add to the front of a 67 with out the hanger (cause the hanger adds 4" so how much on top of that will the spring add?)
with the rear end, instead of going with just the flip kit and stock springs and doing shackle and add a leafs, is there an aftermarket spring i can use to avoid special shackles to accomodate for the 3" wide spring packs that are stock on this truck?
If you use spring hangers off a 69-72 You could use them I am sure.

the hanger AND springs adds 4-5" of lift the 52" spring has more arch than stock spring. You could use a aftermarket lift spring for the REAR of a 73-87 to further lift it.

When saying a spring is 48, 52" or whatever that means from bushing bolt to bushing bolt. I think the stock 68 rear springs are 56" long and are also centered meaning they are 28" from the u bolt to the front and 28" to the u bolt to the back. Some are offset.

The custom shackle is not a big deal. I told Kurt at DIY4X the measurements and he made me a set. If I knew about this ahead of time it probably would be the same amount of $$$ as the supplied shackles if not a few bucks more.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Mr-Jack

well if i went with a lifted 73-87 spring i wouldn't need the special shackles right or are they 3" wide packs as well?

and to verify...the spring widths stock 67's front and rear are 3" wide and 73-87's are 2.5" front and rear?

i saw a picture of your front b52 hangers have differant mounting locations for the springs...is that for centering the axle in the fenders?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
well if i went with a lifted 73-87 spring i wouldn't need the special shackles right or are they 3" wide packs as well?

and to verify...the spring widths stock 67's front and rear are 3" wide and 73-87's are 2.5" front and rear?

i saw a picture of your front b52 hangers have differant mounting locations for the springs...is that for centering the axle in the fenders?
Correct and correct. I think the rear 73-87 springs are offset though not sure. You would also in the least need to put some sort of space for the spring to fit in the front hanger.

Yes the holes are for centering the axle. Also adjustable if using a 52" or 56" spring.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Mr-Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
Correct and correct. I think the rear 73-87 springs are offset though not sure. You would also in the least need to put some sort of space for the spring to fit in the front hanger.

Yes the holes are for centering the axle. Also adjustable if using a 52" or 56" spring.
Did you mean spacer in the front side of the rear spring hanger to accomodate from going from the stock 3" wide to the 73-87 2.5" wide spring? if so i don't think that would be a problem. I can figure that out.

I just sent an email to a spring manufacturer about lift springs so we'll see what they say.

btw...i'm talking with Kert at DIY4X about all this still...i'll post up what he says after the email traffic ends

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Mr-Jack

Well just got done emailing Kert back at DIY4X.com that guys is the sh*t...very helpful and fast responses...couldn't ask for better customer service. Told him what i was after and since it's a special order and i can't call in cause i'm deployed, he's setting it up via paypal for my order (since it is a custom order). It will all be in my garage waiting for me when i get home in May.

Here's what I ordered:

- 1 each First Gen B-52 (FGB52) w/6" shackles & greaseable bolts
- 1 each First Gen Shackle Flip-N-Switch (00590kb) w/6" Cross-Tied Shackles & Greaseable bolts
- 4 each 1/4" thick washers (for the rear spring front hanger to offset the 2.5" wide spring in the 3" wide hanger)

I am still waiting on a response from the spring guy Hope he gets back to me soon so i can get these ordered and delivered. (i'm looking for 2" lift 52's and 2" lift 56" centered springs)

All this should get me about 6.75" lift, but incase it's not perfectly levelled, i'll be ordering a set of 1" zero rates. I'll have them sitting in the shop if i need them and keep them for use if the front or rear settles.

All I need now is a new drop pitman arm, extended brake lines, shocks, and i'll take my driveshafts to a place down the road to get new ones made up after i get it in the air and measure the distances.

If i'm forgetting anything, feel free to chime in. I'm going to be upgrading my steering and brakes as well as the gears in the front and rear...still gotta find out what is inside the 10 bolts.

I'm looking at rim and tire combos...i am gonna be going with 35x12.50x15 for tires and still not sure what width to go for the rims. someone said 4" backspacing for the rims, but how far out will the tires stick out of the truck? I would like them to come out about a couple of inches or so to give it a nice lifted stance. Suggestions are welcome anywhere ya'll want!

Jack

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-15-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Well just got done emailing Kert back at DIY4X.com that guys is the sh*t...very helpful and fast responses...couldn't ask for better customer service. Told him what i was after and since it's a special order and i can't call in cause i'm deployed, he's setting it up via paypal for my order (since it is a custom order). It will all be in my garage waiting for me when i get home in May.

Here's what I ordered:

- 1 each First Gen B-52 (FGB52) w/6" shackles & greaseable bolts
- 1 each First Gen Shackle Flip-N-Switch (00590kb) w/6" Cross-Tied Shackles & Greaseable bolts
- 4 each 1/4" thick washers (for the rear spring front hanger to offset the 2.5" wide spring in the 3" wide hanger)

I am still waiting on a response from the spring guy Hope he gets back to me soon so i can get these ordered and delivered. (i'm looking for 2" lift 52's and 2" lift 56" centered springs)

All this should get me about 6.75" lift, but incase it's not perfectly levelled, i'll be ordering a set of 1" zero rates. I'll have them sitting in the shop if i need them and keep them for use if the front or rear settles.

All I need now is a new drop pitman arm, extended brake lines, shocks, and i'll take my driveshafts to a place down the road to get new ones made up after i get it in the air and measure the distances.

If i'm forgetting anything, feel free to chime in. I'm going to be upgrading my steering and brakes as well as the gears in the front and rear...still gotta find out what is inside the 10 bolts.

I'm looking at rim and tire combos...i am gonna be going with 35x12.50x15 for tires and still not sure what width to go for the rims. someone said 4" backspacing for the rims, but how far out will the tires stick out of the truck? I would like them to come out about a couple of inches or so to give it a nice lifted stance. Suggestions are welcome anywhere ya'll want!

Jack
Nice man! yea DIY4X has great customer service. Do you still have the stock closed knuckle front axle? If so you might want to replace it or the drop pitman arm is different for the closed knuckle front end.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Mr-Jack

i might just end up with 3/4 ton axles, in board the springs to directly under the frame rails and custom hangers at this rate...i can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone about springs...i wish i was in the states right now...i'd already have this figured out. these damn spring manufacturers are dragging ass right now

all i know about the axles is that they are 10 bolts, i know they are stock...and excuse the new question, but other than Piece of Sh%t...what does POS refer to on this forum...i see it everywhere...i guess it's original parts, but what is the acronym

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 03-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
Mr-Jack

was looking around and according to the information on the link below about 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickups i might have found a suitale 52" lift spring for the front.
http://www.stengelbros.com/GMLeafSprings.htm

this is a 2" Tuff Country EZ Ride Spring from 69-87 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck that measures 52" and it's centered.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/192702.html

Now i'm still looking for a centered 56" 2" lift spring for the rear...i'm so close but still can't find everything...this takes forever.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
Mr-Jack

I've been ordering parts and researching for the suspension re-build for when i get home...need some opinions and some help guys!

Ok...well here's a part's list that i've ordered so far:
- 1st Gen B52 Hanger Set w/6" Shackles and Greaseable bolts
- Shackle Flip Rear with 6" shackles and Greaseable bolts
- 2" Softride 52" springs for the front
- 3" TG 56 Springs for the rear (these will have to be customized a little)
- 1" zero rates
- Raised Steering Arm

Looking for (if anyone knows where i can get these parts for a good price and pretty much just plug and play, please let me know):
- Extended Brake line kit
- U-Bolts (front and rear) - (Pretty sure i can use the top plates i have and just get extended ubolts from a local part's store)

Waiting to purchase:
- Offset Draglink from 4wp
- Custom Driveshafts
- Shocks (Bilstein)

Am I missing or forgetting about anything?

Rims/Tires
I'm still torn on tires and rims...i know i either want the BFG KM2 or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R in 35x12.50x15 and i'm leaning more towards the BFGs

Rims...i've got it narrowed down between a few candidates...
I really like the black look of these uniques...nothing fancy just a glossy black steel wheel. I've ran these wheels before, but not on a classic chevy

here's a possible version with a street lock look

i like the MT Classic II's as well, but they are polished and since this is going to get driven, i don't want to have to spend countless hours paying attention to the wheels all the time

What are your opinions on wheels. The truck is blue as of now, but i plan on going to a 2-tone charcoal grey on black with the beltline and roof being the charcoal grey

All inputs are appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by Mr-Jack; 04-06-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

I am probably going to go with M/T classic Locks with gold rings to match my burb eventually. My vote is for the M/T
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
Mr-Jack

Started tearing my truck apart and got the front end torn out from underneath it...i know it's been a while, but i'll post some pictures up when i get a chance...so far so good though. having to replace some of the old hardware tho...rust isn't something i have patience for, so these old bolts have to go.