The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
mpauly

Looking at a 1969 SWB Step Side....Opinions?

I've been reading this forum for some time, but this is my first post.

I've been looking to purchase a 67-72 C-10 SWB to start as a project for quite a while, but they just don't seem to come up for sale that often in my area in my price range. I happened upon an ad for a 1969 SWB Step-Side for sale and have been in contact with the seller a few times, but haven't been able to go take a look yet. If the weather holds out (it's been pouring for two days straight) I'll go to see it tomorrow, but thought I'd throw this out to you experts and get your opinion on what you think about the condition and worth of the truck.

Its a 350 with a 350 trans believed to be original. The guy's owned it for 5 years and did a bit of work when he first picked it up, including a new battery, new master clynder, new brake lines, new alternator, new windshield, carb was rebuilt and installed a trans cooler. He then painted it flat black. Supposedly he then got bored with it and has let it sit for the last 2.5-3 years. The issues he noted are rusted through cab corners and rust in the rockers and fender bottoms. Looking at the photos, I see rust in the bed panels, bed floor obviously needs to be replaced, and quite a few dings/dents with the worst being on the passenger fender. I don't have any shots of the interior or the underside, but he said they were pretty original. I believe he said it was running and on the road when parked, but hasn't been started in a while....unclear if its still running now.

Obviously I need to check this out in person and see what condition the truck is in, but what do you guys think? See anything majorly wrong with it from the photos? Anything particularly desirable about this truck?

Thanks,
Michael

Full size images here, just click on the pic to zoom in:
http://yfrog.com/jcdscn2930lj
http://yfrog.com/5bdscn2933wj
http://yfrog.com/89dscn2932izj
http://yfrog.com/83dscn2931wj

mpauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
lax54650

Re: Looking at a 1969 SWB Step Side....Opinions?

by seeing what apears to be a hole in bottom support of hood, without seeing it in person i would bet that it needs the typical supports corners and rockers as well as floor work.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

It all depends on you & what you want out of it. If you can do most of the work yourself & have the time it will make a great fun project. If you have to take it places to have the work done, it will turn into a money pit- nightmare.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
It all depends on you & what you want out of it. If you can do most of the work yourself & have the time it will make a great fun project. If you have to take it places to have the work done, it will turn into a money pit- nightmare.
X2. If you don't do any body work, don't get it, and wait for one that's solid.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
mpauly

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm looking for a small project that I can get up as a runner fairly quickly and work on as I go, bit by bit. Part of the appeal of a project like this is the opportunity to try and tackle some of the bodywork on my own. I've done some welding in the past and I've read a ton of posts on replacing the common rust areas of these trucks with patch panels. Not that I know what I'm doing or anything, but I'm up for the challenge.

I hear your suggestions about trying to find a good solid truck, but they just don't seem to pop up for sale anywhere near me or under $6-7,000 or or more. This guy is asking $3800, which is way too high, but he said he's looking to move it and wont' be insulted with a cash offer. I was thinking more along the lines of the low $2000s or so.

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
lax54650

plan on it costing twice as much to do and twice as long and taking twice as much space. not to discourage
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
rusty baker
'70 C-10 Primer

Shows a difference in location. Truck like that brings $500-$800 here. I drove my 70 Fleetside home, 250 6 cyl, 3 spd, almost no rust and gave $250. Recently bought an original tailgate in almost perfect condition for $50.

Last edited by rusty baker; 03-14-2010 at 03:56 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
gkesseru

I see it's a 6 bolt. Also looks like he's got a complete 5 bolt front end in the bed waiting to convert the front to 5 bolt. Would still need a 5 bolt rear from a 71-72 for the rear.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
thepenguin99

In this area that is a sub 2k truck. Having bought super projects before, specifically british sportscars, I would stay away unless you have a lot of time to kill and the tools to do the job. You are better off spending 2x or even 3x the money and getting a solid truck to start with.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
mpauly

Again, I hear what everyone is saying. The skies continued to pour today, so maybe I should just take it as a sign that it just wasn't meant to be.

I'd happily pay more for a solid truck, just can't find one in my price range. All seem to be $10-15,000 here in the NJ/NY area. Anyone know of a good solid driver within 3-400 miles of NYC? Open to anything in 67-72 (would even consider 63-66), just want a swb.

Michael
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Yeah,
3800, he would be waiting a long time, maybe hes been watching those auction shows on speed channel again....

Id check the rool line on the inside for rust, already looks like there is alot of rust in that channel where the wiper hoses and wiring is.

Id be nervous on that one.....

If you really want one check CL out west, its worth the road trip....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
thepenguin99

You have probably seen it but check out http://www.hankshelper.com. Put all makes and all models under the search. In model keywords put "(Chevy|Chevrolet|GMC)". Then enter the distance from your zip you are willing to search and the years. It should search every craigslist in the area you indicate and put the results in a single list. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now and have found some promising trucks in a 200mi range but not ms.right.

Edit: You will have to filter through some car listings and z-71 listings but if you make it any more specific you can miss trucks.

Last edited by thepenguin99; 03-14-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
mpauly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenguin99 View Post
You have probably seen it but check out http://www.hankshelper.com. Put all makes and all models under the search. In model keywords put "(Chevy|Chevrolet|GMC)". Then enter the distance from your zip you are willing to search and the years. It should search every craigslist in the area you indicate and put the results in a single list. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now and have found some promising trucks in a 200mi range but not ms.right.

Edit: You will have to filter through some car listings and z-71 listings but if you make it any more specific you can miss trucks.
Thanks penguin. I've used that and other CL searches engines to try and find stuff locally, but if I'm going to travel 200+ miles it would be nice to get someone to vow for the condition of the truck. You should see some of the stuff I've seen locally that people told me over the phone was in 'good' and 'solid' condition. Sadly, the above truck was one of the more promising so far.

I'm up for a road trip.......

Michael
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauly View Post
Thanks penguin. I've used that and other CL searches engines to try and find stuff locally, but if I'm going to travel 200+ miles it would be nice to get someone to vow for the condition of the truck. You should see some of the stuff I've seen locally that people told me over the phone was in 'good' and 'solid' condition. Sadly, the above truck was one of the more promising so far.

I'm up for a road trip.......

Michael
That is definitely understandable. I pretty much won't go look at anything that is over an hours drive unless I get some pretty specific pictures from the owner. If they aren't willing to provide closeups of the rockers, cab corners, and full sides from back or front I simply can't justify spending the time to go look at it. All that being said, much like you I think I would drive a couple days if I found something that really worked for me.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
ShredSled

man, prices for anything classic around here is pretty steep too... Midwest and Eastcoast salt-belts just kill the weak and leave the expensive apparantly, haha! Sounds like you've still got to head west to find gold! Or south...