The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2003, 06:24 PM   #1
smokinn

PW/PL question

Hey there,

I'm having a problem with my pw/pl on my truck. It seems that the drivers side will go up and down real slow and locks but it wont unlock both sides at the same time. The passengers side window switch works on that side also real slow. Do I need new switches or new motors? If I need new motors how hard are they to change out?

Thanks
Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Hey Jason,

I take it you mean your windows (and not your locks) go up and down slowly. I have the same problem with my passenger side window. I picked up a couple of motors at a surplus store hoping they would fit. Well, after tearing the passenger side door apart to get the motor out, I found out the motors didn't match . So I cleaned the tracks and guides, oiled them along with every moving part I could find and put it all back together. Works quite a bit better now, but I will still be keeping my eyes open for some cheap motors.

As far as switching the motors out, it's really not that bad. You have to remove the inner door panel. You then loosen the 4 bolts that hole the window regulator assembly (actually there's 2bolts and 2 studs) and unplug the electrical connector from the motor. You then finesse the whole assembly through the hole that is upper right corner of the door - passenger side (driver upper left). You may need to remove some of the door latch linkages to make room. Make sure you somehow support the window so it doesn't come crashing down. You can then remove the motor from whole assembly. Reassembly is the reverse procedure.

As far as you locks are concerned, I would test the electrical signal through the switches. Also, maybe remove the door lock actuators and jumper them to see how well they are working.

So that's it for me. I'm sure you'll get plenty of more good advice.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
apstguy
LED King

How exactly do you pull the top of the door panel off? I can't get the sucker off no matter how hard I try. I don't want to break it though. That would be really bad.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

The top of the door panel is held on with clips behind the panel. They are made in the window rubber piece. Just jerk up on it and they will pop loose.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by apstguy
How exactly do you pull the top of the door panel off? I can't get the sucker off no matter how hard I try. I don't want to break it though. That would be really bad.
In addition to what Mike is saying, before you do that, make sure you've removed all the screws that hold the panel. They are along the bottom edge and up the sides. There are also 2 inside the door handle/armrest - facing down. I can't recall, but there are approx. 6 or 8 screws in total.

Once you've done that, just do what Mike says. Pull the bottom of the panel slightly out and then push it up to unhook the clips from the window lip along the top of the door. I find it works best if you start on the latch (rear) end of the door and work toward the vent window. It may also help to roll the window down. And don't forget to unscrew your door lock "cap".

Once you do it once, you'll be an expert.

Hope this helps.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote