The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
glider_6969

Carb, help needed...

I had put this carb back on this engine, but I think it is missing something. I finally fired the motor up, but then the carb started peeing gas out through the linkeage and the top and in the front, can anyone tell me what should be hooked to the hole to the right of the fuel line and where it goes connected to? As you can see the carb took a gas bath.
It's a Rochester Dual Jet 210
Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  62.5 KB
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Re: Carb, help needed...

If it is overflowing it may be stuck floats or dirty seats for the float needles. If it sat for a while with fuel in it, it can varnish the needles/valves and cause the valve to stay open and cause the overflowing.

I am not familiar with this carb, but most work similar. Good luck.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"

Last edited by Leviticus; 03-18-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
carsinsc

You have a needle and seat not sealing because of
1. Debris caught under needle.
2. Float stuck causing the needle not to seal on the seat.
3. Too much fuel pressure to carb. <Not likely cause, but i have seen it. Should be 5-7psi at carb>
You should have the carb rebuilt by a pro if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
carsinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
weeble

From the picture,It looks like your choke might be stuck in the closed position. If that is the case fuel will come out through the linkage. Try holding the choke plate open manually and see if it still leaks and then make any necessary adjustments to the choke. But since you said you got it started maybe this isnt the case. Probably a float or needle problem.

Last edited by weeble; 03-19-2010 at 06:53 AM.
weeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
glider_6969

Thanks for the help guys, carbs aren't my specialty I think I will get it rebuilt just to play it safe,,
glider_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
ya it is a classic

well since im a lazy person i carved a piece of wood and stuck it in the hole and broke it off on my 55 chevy. ill take it apart 2maro and clean it. you can bang on the side with a hammer and it might brake the float loose. good luck
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya it is a classic View Post
well since im a lazy person i carved a piece of wood and stuck it in the hole and broke it off on my 55 chevy. ill take it apart 2maro and clean it. you can bang on the side with a hammer and it might brake the float loose. good luck

I'm going to have to say no on the wood plugs and hammer on the carb, but if it works for you, its all good. Not trying to be a smart ass, just want to make sure the OP doesn't get his Estwing out and take a swing at the carb.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

That hole is for a vent tube for the fuel bowl. It will not cause a problem but dirt & moisture will get in. Normally it hooks to the evaporator canister to prevent air pollution. You can put a tube in it & a short hose so it can breath but not take in contamination. This is not causing your problem though.
Here is a quick trick that often will clear out a needle & seat dirt problem. Put a vise grip or clamp on the rubber fuel hose. Start the engine & run it till it uses all the gas in the carb & dies. Remove the clamp & restart the engine. The sudden rush of gas into the carb usually wash the debris on through. Try it twice & if that doesn't fix it it's time for disassembly.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote