The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
BLT-NT-BOT

Factory A/C vs. Aftermarket A/C

Im wondering what you guys think is better factory or aftermarket ac. As far as which one is cheaper, colder, easier, just all around the best way to go. Thanks in advance.
BLT-NT-BOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Factory A/C vs. Aftermarket A/C

new aftermarket stuff is far more efficent and robs less horsepower MPG
both will cool a well sealed insulated cab just fine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

I agree with CDOWNS. I have Classic auto air in my 69 C-10, and in NE Fla it is 35 degrees at the vents. IMO the aftermarket pushes more air thru the vents. The OE can be troublesome because of availability of replacement parts. The negative to aftermarket is there is not a " blend'. Meaning that all of the a/c is full recirculation. The OE's have a way to allow fresh air to be cooled, but still allow outside air in. My 72 Blazer will have Classic air when finished. This old fat man wants to be cool, and LOOK cool driving a Blazer that is almost as old as I am.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Todersauce

There is really no difference, it is a chemical reaction of the freon gas that is the same in a new system or and old system. There are 5 major parts to a ac system the compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer/accumulator, and expansion valve/ccot. The Huge difference is the freon. Pre 1995 the auto industry used all R12 freon. Post 1995 everyone uses R134 freon. Old R12 systems can use new R134 freon with a few adjustments. If you have a working R12 system you can convert it to R134 or have it converted. The main reason is the cost of the freon. R12 is spendy if you can get it, $75 per pound and R134 is much less about $12 and easy to get almost anywhere. A new compressor most likely won’t cost you as much horsepower to run and work better, but most old compressors can be rebuilt and work as good as a new one for less $$$.

In my opinion both are equal it depends on how deep your pockets are and your skill level. If you like new and shiny with the bells and buttons go new. If not go with the old stuff
Todersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
chipflyer

It really depends on what you are building. As the others have said they both work well. I am into the stock look and put mine back as original and it works great, but again I wanted the original look. If I were building a custom I would definitely go aftermarket with the newer style components and not deal with the ugly old stuff that isn't as efficient from over 40 years ago.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

imho, the aftermarket systems take up less space under the hood and, from what I have heard, is a bit more dependable and user friendly than the original Harrison units.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 03-19-2010 at 11:52 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
70cst

It also depends if one wants to keep the truck as close to factory as possible. To rebuild an OE AC will cost about the same as a new aftermarket AC system. I wanted to keep the Circuit Rider as close to stock as possible so I went with the OE AC system. If that wasn't important to me I would have gone aftermarket. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
ERASER5

Are you planning to drive your truck in the winter? If not, then the aftermarket stuff is great. If you are going to drive the truck, you will be disappointed with the aftermarket stuff. Not with the AC part, that is great, the heating part will be the trouble.

The V in HVAC is Ventilation. The aftermarket stuff does not vent, it only recirculates. In the winter, this will fog you windshield. You need outside air to keep the windshield clear. Every OEM, every single one, uses outside fresh air for heat. The fellows down south can get away with recirculated air. Us northerners cannot.

The recirculation only system do have their good, maybe great, points too. No outside air means that you can do a slick smoother cowl. Vent doors can be sealed and smoothed. Air boxes can be re-purposed to hide the AC/heater lines, wiring, fuse boxes.

For a winter driven truck, go with the OEM system. If you are parking the truck for the winter, go with what ever you want.

Just my 12+ years developing/testing HVAC stuff for F**D.

Last edited by ERASER5; 03-20-2010 at 04:44 AM.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Are you planning to drive your truck in the winter? If not, then the aftermarket stuff is great. If you are going to drive the truck, you will be disappointed with the aftermarket stuff. Not with the AC part, that is great, the heating part will be the trouble.

The V in HVAC is Ventilation. The aftermarket stuff does not vent, it only recirculates. In the winter, this will fog you windshield. You need outside air to keep the windshield clear. Every OEM, every single one, uses outside fresh air for heat. The fellows down south can get away with recirculated air. Us northerners cannot.

The recirculation only system do have their good, maybe great, points too. No outside air means that you can do a slick smoother cowl. Vent doors can be sealed and smoothed. Air boxes can be re-purposed to hide the AC/heater lines, wiring, fuse boxes.

For a winter driven truck, go with the OEM system. If you are parking the truck for the winter, go with what ever you want.

Just my 12+ years developing/testing HVAC stuff for F**D.

Good info...I never thought about fog city.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 03-20-2010 at 07:41 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
big_al_71

I went with "Classic Auto Air" and in the miami heat it blows a cool 37 degrees and I have to keep it at medium speed because how cold it gets in there. It is super compact and I did not put the heater part in as in miami there is zero need for heat. Then install was super easy and clean...
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
BLT-NT-BOT

Thanks guys for all your input. I was also wondering if I can leave the factory system in and change the compressor to a new one that mounts low. My only concern with doing that is the hoses, will the old hoses work on a new compressor. When I say new I mean a Sanden compressor. Or will I have to get custom hoses made. What else needs to be updated to run R134a.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
BLT-NT-BOT

Also I live in Utah, I dont think I will be driving this in the winter much but if I do I would like the heat and defrost to work.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT-NT-BOT View Post
Thanks guys for all your input. I was also wondering if I can leave the factory system in and change the compressor to a new one that mounts low. My only concern with doing that is the hoses, will the old hoses work on a new compressor. When I say new I mean a Sanden compressor. Or will I have to get custom hoses made. What else needs to be updated to run R134a.
You need to make ONE adjustment to make your current (OE) system work with R134a. Follow this link:
http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...&threadid=7567
It is WAY cheaper making your OE system work with R134a than to purchase an aftermarket system.
Do the procedure in the link above then:
Replace all your o-rings (approximately $10 at ackits)
Purchase a new receiver/dryer (about $40)
New hose assembly ($90 or so from LMC or other)
Get R134a at Wal*Mart. $3-$12/can. Get 4.
Purchase a bottle of R134a compatible oil - ackits has this on their website.

Flush everything. Fill everything with oil. The service manual tells you how much. Total is 10-12 ounces.

Evacuate the system. Fill with R134a. Use your extra $900 you saved over an aftermarket system to buy some really cool wheels or start paying on your kid's orthodontist bill.

I don't work for ackits, LMC, or Wal*Mart
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

Hey Al, can you use the stock control panel/unit with the Classic Auto Air kit or does it require their control panel/unit?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shane; 03-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
leddzepp

If you want fresh air to come into the cab while running the heater in an aftermarket system, simply reach down and pull open the drivers side air vent in the kick panel. Fogging problem solved.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
suville

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
If you want fresh air to come into the cab while running the heater in an aftermarket system, simply reach down and pull open the drivers side air vent in the kick panel. Fogging problem solved.
Do you know if the vacuum operated vent on the pass. side can be made operational thru the heat/defrost control lever? I've researched most of the aftermarket units and am most impressed with Classic Auto Air for the simple reason they are (to my current knowledge) the only unit to use two separate coils one for heat one for cool just as the factory units. those of you using CAA have you smoothed the firewall and do you have any pics? I'd like to do my firewall but dont have the ching for a AC unit just now so it would be most helpful if I could see how you did yours. Thanks
suville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by suville View Post
Do you know if the vacuum operated vent on the pass. side can be made operational thru the heat/defrost control lever? I've researched most of the aftermarket units and am most impressed with Classic Auto Air for the simple reason they are (to my current knowledge) the only unit to use two separate coils one for heat one for cool just as the factory units. those of you using CAA have you smoothed the firewall and do you have any pics? I'd like to do my firewall but dont have the ching for a AC unit just now so it would be most helpful if I could see how you did yours. Thanks
Are you talking about the top lever on a factory A/C system? That is the one that controls inside/outside airflow, via a vacuum switch. All the way to the left is for A/C (pass side kick panel open for recirc, cowl vent closed) To the right is for heat (kick panel vent closed, cowl vent open for outside air) The other two levers operate cables.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Hey Al, can you use the stock control panel/unit with the Classic Auto Air kit or does it require their control panel/unit?

Thanks!
The kit requires that you use your factory lever unit. My truck did not have a/c so I used the heater control unit. I think I could had bought one from the but you dont really need to.shane here are a couple of picts from when we were installing it.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I'll take that as a joke. 0 degree air blowing on my leg. That's what I want.

A complete flush is OK, but not absolutely necessary. The mineral oil will just lay in the lowest point.

Every unit has a separate core for heat and cool.

Outside air for our trucks comes from the cowl. Smooth the cowl, no vents.

The vacuum controlled vent door part of the fresh air/recirc source, but some or all of that fresh air is then routed through the heater core. How much air is heated is determined by the temp selector.

Last edited by ERASER5; 03-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

Awesome Al! Thank you for the info & the pics!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #21
Ryan Hubbard

When I installed my Vintage Air system in my truck, I did not block off the passenger side vent. I converted it to a manual opening vent just so I could open the vent when I needed fresh air and since the vent is right near the intake for the Vintage Air it works well for defrosting windows. But that is the one drawback to the aftermarket AC systems in not having a fresh air option.
Ryan Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #22
thelonerife

I put vintage air on my truck and love it! I'll put it on every truck now. The older compressors will leak oil out of the clutch eventually and seem to take more from the motor imo.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #23
4x4Poet

I'm also dissapointed in aftermarket A/C systems for our trucks that don't use cowl fresh air.

But I wonder if a little simple duct work would make either cowl or pass side vent fresh air flow through the evaporator. For the side vent, a drawback might be less leg room to accomodate the vent ducting. A fresh air/recirc flapper would be a greater challenge for the side vent.

Anyway BLT-, Since you have the factory system, to use R134 you just need to go throught the conversion process above to use R134. To use a Sanden compressor, the R134 conversion hoses must have correctly routed and configured compressor hose fittings since any retro-fit R134 hoses configured for the OEM piston compressor will have the wrong fittings and metal line bends for a Sanden. Hose lengths required can also differ.

Most A/C hose makers can make R134 hoses for Chevy trucks to SBC/BBCs. They'll need to know the truck, engine, pulley system, compressor location, etc. before making up a set. Classic Auto Air, Vintage Air, etc. can make up a set if local sources can't.

I prefer R12 for its superior cooling ability, but, as stated above, R134 can easily handle a pickup cab. I use R134 barrier lined hoses even for refurbishing an R12 system since they are superior for stopping leaks and the cost is comparable to non-barrier R12 hoses.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 03-21-2010 at 02:04 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #24
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
I'll take that as a joke. 0 degree air blowing on my leg. That's what I want.
If you are wearing pants its not a problem.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
Tkmadone

When I got my C20 it had the factory air stuff on the body but nothing on the engine. I bought all the stuff from here:

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/

I believe I spent about $300, which included brackets, a new compressor, hoses, and the valve replacement thingie.

I work quite well, blowing 36 degrees. My only complaint is the factory center vent in the dash. It only blows straight ahead, which is annoying. I'm considering replacing it with 2 vents so I can aim one at myself and one at the passenger.
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote